October 12th, 2010

In the September/October issue of Cooking with Paula Deen, the sassy Southerner takes on Alabama chef Frank Stitt of Highlands Bar and Grill in "the great shrimp and grits debate."

As a professional chef, Stitt prefers an upscale version - complete with Fontina grits and a polished presentation.

As a proud graduate of Granny Paul's kitchen, Miz Deen says when making shrimp and grits, one doesn't need to dress in your fancy pants with pinky extended: keep it humble and just like granny's.

Previously - Paula Deen on the food of love

Posted by:
Filed under: Bite • Celebrity Chefs • Cuisines • News • Paula Deen • Southern • Think • Video

1. Tyler

I happen to be born and raised in Savannah and I know for a fact that Paula Deen is as fake as they come. I know people who work with her and my mother has personally met her and everyone agrees that her accent is fake and she is a total b*tch. She gives my hometown a bad name. We do say "y'all" obviously, but not to her extent and her food is certainly not the best in town. If you want real southern cooking, look to Mrs. Wilkes' Boarding House.

May 10, 2011 at 12:30 am | Reply
  2. Southerner

She irks me. I wish she didn't, but she does. I hate the way she has to prove she's southern by saying "y'all" every two seconds. No one in the south says "y'all" that often unless they are total hicks. We get it, you want us to believe you're from the south.

I believe she is much better than this uber-south gimmick she has going on.

October 12, 2010 at 4:56 pm | Reply
    • Jdizzle McHammerpants

How 'bout a tall glass of "Shut Up" for ya? With <3.

^Couldn't help self.

October 12, 2010 at 5:30 pm | Reply
      • CoachMike

After reading the Indiana turkey story-this is a Highly Testicle response!

October 12, 2010 at 5:41 pm | Reply
      • Jdizzle McHammerpants

Deep fried fallopian tubes for me only.

October 12, 2010 at 6:10 pm | Reply
    • TotalHick

As Whitney Houston once said-"Kiss ma Ass, Ya'll"!

October 12, 2010 at 5:54 pm | Reply
    • VintageLydia

Eh, I say "y'all" about as much as she does. I'm probably the only member of my family west of Louisiana that does, however. My husband got the opportunity to meet her (I couldn't get out of work!) and he said she is an extremely lovely person and a joy to work with. Her husband Michael runs the show, though. Don't think otherwise!

October 12, 2010 at 7:26 pm | Reply
    • Sweetenedtea

I have no opinion on her - I barely knows she exists - but I do want to say:

Y'all y'all y'all y'all y'all y'all y'all

Just for the record.

Actually, I do say y'all a fair amount despite not being a hick by any reasonable definition of the word. I don't use it as an interjective or a pointless means of punctuating a sentence, but I do almost invariably use it in place of the plural "you"...and I spend a lot of time talking to groups.

October 13, 2010 at 3:13 am | Reply