October 7th, 2010

What to do if you're a Wall Street banker who just got laid off from your bond-trading job?

If you're Brad Estabrooke, who was laid off in 2008, you dump your bonds for gin.

"I didn't consider distilling until I read an article in an in-flight magazine actually. The author was saying some laws had changed and now, it was feasible to open a small distillery for the first time since Prohibition," said the owner of Breuckelen Distilling Company.

CNNMoney has the FULL VIDEO.

Posted by:
Filed under: Business and Farming News • News • Sip • Small Business • Spirits

Next entry »
« Previous entry
  1. cf

cross country sucks donkey balls

October 11, 2010 at 3:22 pm |
    • donkey

is this comment really necessary?

how about you go to the juvenile section of the CNN website with that comment, its at http://www.growup.com

October 11, 2010 at 3:59 pm |
  2. thoughtdog

Roll a "fatty" and lets talk.

October 8, 2010 at 7:43 am |
  3. Charlotte

Really? I had no idea. I remember seeing those little stills in the Wine Enthusiast catalog, that are supposed to allow you to make your own brandy at home by distilling wine, but they are always plastered with all these warnings about how "you really only want to have it as a novelty" and "even though it really will make Brandy, of course you understand that it's actually illegal to do so, so buy it but don't use it (wink wink)". Now it's legal? That would be so cool.

October 7, 2010 at 6:59 pm |
  4. Texas Pete

So when life gets you down, drink heavily.

October 7, 2010 at 3:20 pm |
    • Greg K

I'll drink to that!

October 7, 2010 at 5:16 pm |
  5. STEELWOLVES

Here I am again mixin' misery and gin.......

October 7, 2010 at 2:14 pm |
  6. Herb from CA

Phil,
    Some say the same things about marijuana, and I think you're both right. I think our culture doesn't know how to relax, or forgot how to. If everyone would just take some time to relax, blow some steam off while engaging in positive discourse with their peers, then I think the world would definitely be a better place.

October 7, 2010 at 1:19 pm |
    • Idrinkyourmilkshake

Phil, I agree with both trains of thought to some degree. For marijuana users, this statement works if what you are trying to solve is ordering Quiznos. I'm just saying, drinkers tend to get more things done.

October 7, 2010 at 1:31 pm |
      • Mike S

There are more people working successfully on marijuana than you will ever realize.

October 7, 2010 at 3:57 pm |
      • Jdizzle McHammerpants

Yep. A LOT of closet smokers in corporate America. Trust me.

October 7, 2010 at 4:47 pm |
  7. lonestarst8

i love GIN HIRE ME TO BE THE TASTER!!!

October 7, 2010 at 1:14 pm |
  8. Prison Mike

I thought this article would teach me how to make gin out of lemons. Thanks CNN. I'm so interested in this unique story of a man who decided to distill liquor, and then SELL that liquor for a profit! What an innovator.

October 7, 2010 at 1:09 pm |
    • Charlotte

Would be curious how to do it. I always thought gin was made from juniper berries, not from lemons!

October 7, 2010 at 7:01 pm |
      • Bett

Gin is made from grain and flavored with juniper, along with other botanicals.

October 11, 2010 at 12:14 pm |
    • Dave

I thought the exact same thing... I was thoroughly disappointed... Lemon Gin sounds delicious!

October 11, 2010 at 1:06 pm |
  9. Phil from Corpus Christi

Cool. This goes further toward world peace and sanity than many of the politically correct solutions. We could solve a lot more problems by simply sitting down and discussing them over a relaxing drink than by any other method. And no I am not talking about getting drunk and debating, I am talking about a nice, relaxing drinking in moderation session, where everyone can still control their emotions, ideas, and tongues. In fact, I recommend anyone who doesn't drink should take it up, in moderation of course, as the teetotalers seem more edgy than the guys who can blow off their steam over a beer or over a martini. If EVERYONE would take a drink now and then just to take the edge off the world, the world would be a much better place.

October 7, 2010 at 12:49 pm |
    • Elexsor

The Tea Party disagrees with you. They teach lack of moderation and lack of control of their emotions or tongues.

October 7, 2010 at 1:15 pm |
    • shorty doright

Phil –

People who've drank with me once, have never asked to drink with me again.

October 7, 2010 at 4:18 pm |
      • than this does not apply to you

nice to receive your input, but this does not apply to you

October 11, 2010 at 3:56 pm |