October 7th, 2010

Chris Cosentino is a chef with a mission near and dear to our hearts (and kidneys, and livers...). Says he, "If you are willing to kill an animal, you should be willing to eat all of it."

We've made no secret of our deeply fond feelings toward offal, but realize there's an ick-factor to overcome for many folks. The "Gut Man" explains why he thinks you oughta have the stomach for eating the whole animal.

Read more about Chef Cosentino at his site OffalGood.com, catch him on Chefs vs City, in the kitchen at Incanto or at his salumeria Boccalone.

1. EM

Mom used to make her chicken soup with heart and gizzard. We'd fight over the heart; yes, tasted "like chicken". Chicken liver, really. Actually, kind of chewy. The gizzard was very chewy, like octopus, but that made it fun!

April 14, 2011 at 8:24 am | Reply
  2. EM

I like liverwurst. Can't get enough of it. But it's not good for you. Gout, kidney stones, gall-stones, you name it. Not to mention cholesterol. Chopped liver is just as good and probably less fat in it, so a bit better. But still not healthy.

April 14, 2011 at 8:20 am | Reply
  3. artemisbow

As a Greek we have lamb offal every holiday especially Easter- we call it kokoresti it is composed of lamb offal: marinated in virgin olive oil, herbs and lemon -chucks/pieces of kidney, heart, spleen, lung, sweatbreads, liver wrapped in gut and grilled over hot coals. when i was younger my American friends would try the grilled meat [we didn't tell them] and would lick their fingers saying it was delicious! we didn't have the heart to tell them the first year but by the end of the second year they knew what they were eating and loved it still! dont knock it until you have tried it. now i am for all intensive purposes a vegetarian–except for easter-i couldn't imagine pashca without kokoretsi!

October 13, 2010 at 10:26 pm | Reply
  4. Cole

Everything except the kidney is fine with me.

I think most people have had offal in traditional sausages and liver (Not to mention regional dishes like scrapple and chitlins).

October 13, 2010 at 5:33 pm | Reply
  5. Jdizzle McHammerpants

I love chicken gizzards and hearts. No deer penis for me, though. Bring back Fear Factor!

October 8, 2010 at 5:05 pm | Reply
  6. Truth

That sounds offal to me!

October 7, 2010 at 5:43 pm | Reply
  7. ThatVegFreak

I'm a strict vegetarian, so I'd never, never ever, eat the offal. But I think that if you're comfortable eating animals, you should show your compassion by not dissing away any of the flesh/bone. We know there are many, many parts of an animal that are edible, and we're intelligent enough to learn how to prepare those parts.

October 7, 2010 at 4:22 pm | Reply
  8. BigDaddyRhino

I've tried various "innards" and well... I'll just politely say they're not for me.

October 7, 2010 at 3:07 pm | Reply
  9. Matt

Not only can it open us up to a whole new world of meat choices but certain parts can really help with digestion and receiving the proper nutrition our body needs for life. For instance making a chicken stock with the various parts of a chicken give you many benefits that aid digestion for our bodies and it can taste really good too.

October 7, 2010 at 3:04 pm | Reply
  10. Don

No thank you. I'll take the 'normal' bits, and someone else who enjoys eating the parts I don't like is welcome to them. Jack Sprat and all that. Nothing goes to waste, so there's no reason for me to gag down something's innards.

October 7, 2010 at 2:28 pm | Reply