Lunchtime poll – grocery store behavior
October 5th, 2010

Yesterday, we kvetched about restaurant flaws. Felt good, right?

Let's stock up on a few other food-centric places that induce minor freak-outs. Today: grocery stores.

Posted by:
Filed under: Buzz • Lunchtime Poll

« Previous entry
  1. HBOKim

Blow their nose in a hankie and then stick it back in their pocket and keep pulling it out to wipe their nose throughout the shopping trip.........all while touching produce, dairy, the cart, etc.

Disgusting!

January 20, 2014 at 10:19 am |
  2. g.r.r.

It has to be when ppl block the aisle. They will leave their cart directly in the middle and not care as you approach. The other one is to park it on the opposite side of where they are working and will stand there. I have become so disgusted by this behavior that I have started going against whatever appears to be the grain (most stores are set up to encourage right to left; not sure why). With this approach, it is only at the end that I really have to deal with going against the grain. Interestingly, I have not had to deal with

November 4, 2011 at 9:48 pm |
    • g.r.r.

continued:
      I have not had to deal with ppl going against the grain and blocking the aisle. Apparently, they have the same thoughts.
      In addition, when I was single, I would shop in the middle of the night (after 10 and before 6) to avoid these ppl. Great time to shop. Now that I have wife/kids, I do not do that, but it is a good option for others.

November 4, 2011 at 9:50 pm |
  3. karl

i hate it when someone is holding up the line and i go to a different line, and then the first line i was in starts moving quickly.

November 4, 2011 at 4:13 pm |
  4. Trish

Oooh, my pet peeve is a tie between people who pay with checks who don't bother to fill out the everything but the amount while waiting in line or while at home and people who block the aisle and are completely inconsiderate to those in front and behind them. DRIVES ME UP THE WALL! MOVE, B!TCH! People who go through the self-checkout and they have no idea how things work and get frustrated because their hand basket is full of produce. But it also bugs me when the grocery stores put slow cashiers at the express lane. OH! And people who have multiple W.I.C. vouchers and go through the express lane. They think because each order is under 10, that separating 30 items between 3 vouchers is okay. IT IS NOT! Even using just one voucher with a handful of items still can take several minutes and very often the people using the vouchers choose the wrong item and they have to go back and get something different.

November 4, 2011 at 2:08 pm |
  5. Harry

I am suprised that they did mention folks who don't return shopping carts in the parking lot. That is my all time worst pet peeve. You are trying to find a space on sunday and someone decides to leave their shopping cart in the parking space, sometimes you can angle your car to miss the cart but other times the cart is in the middle of space and you either have to get out of the car and move it or find another space. I wish I could mail these people a bill for all of the burnt and waste gas because of their laziness.

November 4, 2011 at 1:41 pm |
  6. Jess

I have the best "Worst Grocery Shopping Experience Ever" story. When I shop I also return bottles for the bottle return. There were multiple stations for glass, plastic, and cans so I thought I was being efficient by returning glass and cans at the same time. After being the only patron in the bottle return area for a few minutes an older (55+) woman walks in to return her bottles. Despite the multiple stations available she heads directly to the glass and can returns I am using, tells me I am done, and pushes me out of the way. The first words out of my mouth are, "A person as old as you should have more manners than that." She proceeds to scratch me forcing me to get the manager who threatens to call the cops if the woman doesn't leave. The woman than claims she was at the bottle returns first and I attacked her! The manager asks the woman if she really wants to stick to her story because they have video surveillance of the bottle return area. The woman leaves at this point. All of this happened because the other glass return wasn't working and she didn't have the decency to say that and ask if she could use the one that I was using. People are infinitely rude.

December 15, 2010 at 9:53 am |
    • Jerv@Jess

Holy scratchin' Cat Woman! Are you for real?? I mean, just when you think you have seen and heard it all.

December 15, 2010 at 9:58 am |
      • Jess

Definitely for real, I refused to return bottles at that store ever again.

December 16, 2010 at 12:28 pm |
    • Jerv@Jess

Here you are turning in bottles, recycling, trying to do something good and another human being turns it into a hateful experience. Shame on her.

December 16, 2010 at 12:34 pm |
    • shawnl

Why would you refuse to use that store, it wasnt their fault.

November 7, 2011 at 3:23 am |
  7. RedBox

My local Kroger (Woodstock, GA) has a RedBox right outside the entrance to the store. People are so lazy, they will not park in the parking lot to go rent their movie. No these people park in the Fire Lane at the entrance. So traffic has to maneuver around them, look for on coming traffic, customers going in and out of the store, these RedBox customers opening their car doors in front of you.
    I complained to the Mgr. He said others had complained, but nothing he could do about it. So I sent a comment to the Kroger web site. I received a response from Kroger saying that customer safety is top priority and the Mgr has full say where that RedBox is positioned. 2 weeks later, the RedBox is still there, people are still parking in the Fire Lane and the Mgr gave me an I don't care response of Nope, when I said, I noticed the RedBox has not been moved yet. He then completely ignored me and walked off when I asked if it was going to be moved. I guess Kroger really does not care that much about the safety of their customers, or this box would have been moved by now . . . . .
    Lastly, Kroger either makes a ton of money off the RedBox or they have deep pockets. I just wonder how much it will cost Kroger when the first lawsuit is filed, because a customer was hit and the driver of the car was trying to drive around those RedBox customers.

November 14, 2010 at 9:06 pm |
  8. warwolf

When I'm paying the cashier and the person in line behind me butts right up on me while I'm paying, it irks me. GET BACK! I'm putting my pin # in the debit card machine and they're standing so close I can hear them breathing. Happens to me all the time. It's called PERSONAL SPACE. Crowding won't make the transaction go any faster.

November 10, 2010 at 11:34 pm |
    • jillocobb

That drives me crazy! Some people have no concept of personal space. There's nothing worse than having some onion-breathed knuckle-dragger mouth breathing in your ear!

November 4, 2011 at 1:15 pm |
  9. Requiem

What gets under my skin is the customer who holds the line up while arguing that the item purchased should have been $0.25 less than what was rang up. Here I'll give you a quarter to get out of the way.

October 11, 2010 at 12:33 pm |
  10. fins

people who make their kid 'put back' a piece of fruit they've already taken a bite out of...

October 7, 2010 at 11:25 pm |
    • FogHornLegHorn

Keep trying,That She-Male may take a bite from your Bin!

October 7, 2010 at 11:49 pm |
  11. fins

put a piece of fruit their kid has taken a bite out of back in the display bin

October 7, 2010 at 11:08 pm |
  12. Looking

How do I pick up females at a grocery store? Wedding ring aside, how do I know if a female is interested? A smile and a 'longer' smile back?

October 7, 2010 at 3:57 pm |
  13. Houston

one thing that really gets me, and i dont know if you guys get this alot up north but, we have really cheap people who have alot of items, and when there is a lone behind them, they pull out TONS of coupons not only for the store their at but competitor and expired coupons, and they will argue with the cashier to accept the coupons, and/or argue about an items price, and say well it was marked wrong i want it for the cheaper price

October 7, 2010 at 3:18 pm |
  14. kathy

People who open the door of the freezer section, and then stand there for several minutes holding the door open trying to decide which item to get.

October 7, 2010 at 3:10 pm |
  15. Dustin

Seriously, how is pay with a check not #1? It slows everything down and just proves you're behind the times.

October 7, 2010 at 2:05 pm |
  16. Scrappy Doo

I've been working in the grocery business for about 5 years, and I hate them all. For everything they do. Very simply.

October 7, 2010 at 1:22 pm |
  17. shawna

all of the above!

October 7, 2010 at 9:03 am |
  18. TVC 15

Apparently all you kid-haters out there have no children of your own...or you've forgotten that you once were children yourselves. Some of these children are autistic and/or have other behavioral disorders. Try having children of your own, then try taking them to the grocery store without disrupting the shopping experiences of self-centered asses like yourselves. BOO-HOO.

October 6, 2010 at 9:07 pm |
    • oldcollegegal

sorry to disagree, but as someone who raised three kids, I can say that I had enough sense not to take them into a store when they were tired, hungry or stressed out..it might have been inconvenient to make other arrangements for the while I shopped, but it was better for them, better for me, and certainly better for other shoppers...we also had "rules"...if they wanted to come shopping with me, they had to abide by the rules (no running in the store, no shouting, no fighting, no arguing, no whining,...when the rules were broken, I left my cart in an unobtrusive place, notified staff I would be back , and took the kids home...as a single mom, I made arrangements with other single moms to look after each other's kids in these circumstances....once the kids were old enough, they then shopped with me as a learning exercise ie, which is the best priced item? Is this brand better than the no name version? Where does this food come from? I raised my kids to be considerate members of society, and I did not allow my own stress to become acted out by them in public...

Personally, I am much more annoyed now at my fellow senior citizens whose only social experience is Seniors Day at the grocery store!! Consequently, they totally forget that it is a place of business in which other people are trying to shop, and they are old enough to know better! I don't care if you have not seen Wilmer and Sadie since last Wednesday's shopping trip!! Go get a coffee someplace and catch up on your news. Please do not stand in the middle of the aisle and ignore everyone else who is trying to get their shopping done!

October 10, 2010 at 9:52 am |
  19. Mary J

It drives me absolutely batty when it comes time for me to pay and I can't swipe my debit card because the person before me still hasn't gotten out of the way and will not despite the fact that the cashier, the people standing behind me, and I am waiting on them.

I also can't stand it when two people are blocking the entire aisle because they believe their conversation is more important than anyone else. I especially hate it when they have the nerve to get irritated when you politely say, "Excuse me." How rude of me to interrupt their conversation!

October 6, 2010 at 7:47 pm |
  20. 4U Mister

Kids throwing tantrums because Mom/Dad FINALLY noticed that not only are they running around like crazy, but they are eating out of the candy bins, or eating cherries/grapes in the produce section–hey, that produce needs washing, but I'm not gonna stop them! They are sugar crazed!

October 6, 2010 at 4:25 pm |
  21. CM

Anyone that pays with a check at a store in today's world should be put in prison.

October 6, 2010 at 3:41 pm |
    • TVC 15

Uh yeah, that's a stupid idea. Thanks

October 6, 2010 at 9:08 pm |
    • joe diamond

what are you a moron? a lot of people pay with a check.

June 19, 2014 at 4:38 pm |
  22. Truth

Kids.
    Throwing.
    Tantrums.

October 6, 2010 at 3:17 pm |
  23. Sam

I hate all of the things listed, but one that's not listed that really bothers me at the store I go to is cashiers not acknowledging you. I always say hello, and usually get zero response. No response to my thank you either.

October 6, 2010 at 3:13 pm |
  24. LK

My number one grocery store issue is employees at the customers service counter who do not know where items are located. I recently had to explain what chai is... seriously?!?! I think they even have chai at Dunkin Donuts these days; it is not exactly an exotic product.

October 6, 2010 at 3:11 pm |
    • Danielle

Perhaps not exotic, but in the 3 years I've worked as a cashier, no one has ever bought, much less asked for chai. We can't be expected to know where every single item, out of thousands, is located in one store.

October 14, 2010 at 12:05 pm |
    • warwolf

I had to google chai as soon as I read your post. I learned something new today-thanks!

Try not to be a chai snob. The cashier keeps that job to make ends meet not to become Iron Chef America.

November 10, 2010 at 11:46 pm |
  25. Ashley

My answer to that. Hm, Having one line open when its busy. Get one of the floor men to another cashier please. This has happened to me SEVRAL times at walmart. I'd go at night, cause its a lot less drama there and they'd have one line open with 20 people standing in line. All with one or two items, but they'd also have the oldest slowest person checking us out.

October 6, 2010 at 7:19 am |
    • Erin

Actually I read somewhere that Wal-Mart purposely keeps too few registers opened. It's one of the many reasons I strongly dislike that company.

October 6, 2010 at 3:10 pm |