October 4th, 2010

Experts refer to Detroit, Michigan, as a "food desert" - half of the city's population struggles to find ready access to fresh food and supermarkets.

People like Hantz Farms President Mike Score, who is trying to create the world's largest urban farm, and Fair Food Network's Oran Hesterman are working to fix that.

Poppy Harlow of CNNMoney has the FULL STORY.

1. someone

that wasn't me that jst childish

December 8, 2010 at 11:31 am |
  2. joseph spicer from alabama

i think y help people that dont help there selfs fuck them i need to feed my kids aand my damn self shit id be damned if i help somebody els and not help my kids they can eat me

December 8, 2010 at 11:28 am |
  3. someone

u guyz r lozerzz yeaa

December 8, 2010 at 11:24 am |
  4. someone

u guyz r lozerzz

December 8, 2010 at 11:24 am |
  5. someone yeah

u guys r so nice hbu do my home work

December 8, 2010 at 11:23 am |
  6. Lisa D

Re the installment of this story that was just on CNN around 12:30 on 10/22/10: When the reporter went into stores looking for fresh food in Detroit, she should have asked about frozen fruits and vegetables as well. Yes, if one can get truly fresh food, that is best for nutrition, but a lot of the "fresh food" one sees in produce sections has been trucked across the country or flown in from overseas then trucked in. Frozen food, on the other hand, is processed and flash frozen within hours of harvest. A box or bag of frozen green beans will be more nutritious than a pound of "fresh" green beans that have been lying around for a week!

October 22, 2010 at 12:41 pm |
  7. Jim Bob

One of the best fresh food restaurants in the entire region is Inn Season Cafe in Royal Oak, a suburb of Detroit.

October 5, 2010 at 4:54 pm |
  8. Granite

If Detroit is going to bulldoze its abandoned homes it might as well replace them with what was there long ago, farms and gardens. Tomatoes will grow just as well in Michigan as they do here in Baltimore. Baltimore has just changed its zoning to allow hothouse farms inside the city's borders so we have a few of those as well, Detroit can do the same. I have lots of faith in Detroit, I wouldn't count that city out yet.

October 5, 2010 at 8:54 am |
  9. Kim

So happy to see this story being told. This is a problem that has been there long before the poo economy. They tried 5 or so years ago to put a grocery store in Detroit, but it did not last. I would like to see the story evolve into how this happened. It evolved back in the mid 70's with the white flight. The white families moved out of Detroit and the factories followed. It left a city with people with no means to drive to the factories. Detroit is one of the most racially divided areas in the country. Livonia is predominantly white and is right next to Detroit, predominantly black. There is more of a story there then many people realize. I am sure the people in Livonia have no trouble finding healthy foods. I am surprised that Meijer does not have a store in Detroit.

October 4, 2010 at 9:01 pm |
  10. RichardHead

Saw this report earlier and must say-Well Done Poppy! I applaud these folks trying to bring back the rundown sections plus trying to help the poor.

October 4, 2010 at 4:07 pm |
    • Joanne Wagerson

I work teaching reading for a non-profit in Detroit and am well-aware of the lack of decent food there. I often eat my lunch with the children and many of them cannot eat apples because their gums bleed and teeth hurt. Lack of healthy food and lack of dental care. This is America.

October 4, 2010 at 5:39 pm |
      • doohickey

Nope, it is not America... just Detroit. Will the last person to leave that dump please turn the lights off.

October 4, 2010 at 5:51 pm |
      • Lisa

I live in Canada but not too far from Detroit. I just wonder what we can all do to help Detroit... what is your opinion working there with a non-profit organization? I really believe that with a common vision people can do anything. Keep up the good work!

October 5, 2010 at 2:29 pm |