Lunchtime poll - chefs with issues
October 1st, 2010

Top Chef's Tom Colicchio spoke to Congress on behalf of school lunch reform - also a pet issue of Chef Alice Waters.

Chef Nathalie Dupree is running for the South Carolina U.S. Senate seat.

Chef Rick Moonen is speaking out against the FDA's potential approval of genetically modified salmon.

Chefs are a notoriously opinionated, outspoken lot. Do you care what they have to say on issues other than cooking?

Read our series Chefs with Issues to see what some of your favorite toques have to say about childhood obesity, the importance of understanding where your food comes from and why GMO salmon might threaten our aquacultures.

Posted by:
Filed under: Alice Waters • Buzz • Celebrity Chefs • Chefs with Issues • iReport • Mario Batali • Rick Moonen

1. Eric

@Saint: If your kid is provided lunch at school the govermnet is picking up at least part of the tab.

As to the question: Chef's have the same right to voice their opinion as anyone else.
    As to the HEADLINE: Politics should stay off the menu. If you want to peeve me quickly then hand me a menu that reeks of politics in the name of even one dish.

October 1, 2010 at 4:22 pm | Reply
  2. saint

this makes it sound like all of our children are starving and wants free school lunch for all students? GIMME A BREAK. stop having children if you can't afford to feed them.

October 1, 2010 at 4:15 pm | Reply
  3. Gary D.

Frankly, I think that Tom Colicchio is a repugnant, pompous a s s. If he had anything to say, I wouldn't give it any thought whatsoever. All he ever does on the Top Chef's TV Show is cut people down. He never has anything positive to say about anyone or anything. He hasn't earned my respect for this very reason. On the other hand, if Alton Brown, Jacques Torres, Tyler Florence, or Emeril Lagasse spoke about anything, I would gladly lend them my ears!

October 1, 2010 at 4:11 pm | Reply
  4. KJMS

Ultimately this is a silly question. EVERYONE should be actively involved with the political process in this democratic country. Should celebrities get more of a voice or automatic approval of their opinions? Absolutely not. But we need to stop phrasing questions and comments that subtley reinforce any idea other than EVERYONE has a RIGHT and an OBLIGATION to be involved politically.

October 1, 2010 at 3:55 pm | Reply
  5. Mike Dunn

I"m far more interested in what the Chefs think politically than what most Hollywood phony movie stars think. Frankly I wish they'd all work on improving what they do best which act and cook.

October 1, 2010 at 3:46 pm | Reply
  6. EricJ

Their just pandering to the politicians so they get a a high pay dinner job with them.

October 1, 2010 at 3:15 pm | Reply
  7. Joe

That's like asking if you'd rely on a lawyer for legal advice....of course you would. Chefs are experts on food, I would take any advice they had to give on the matter.

October 1, 2010 at 3:14 pm | Reply
  8. votenow

TUESDAY NOVEMBER 2, 2010
    VOTE THE INCUMBENTS OUT!
    NETHER HOUSE and NETHER PARTY
    is listening to you....
    THE CITIZEN
    THE TAXPAYER

Political offices are like commodes...

To function properly,they need to be flushed
    and cleaned periodically!!

copy, paste and pass it on!

October 1, 2010 at 3:12 pm | Reply
    • RichardHead

What in the hell is a Nether Party? That chef in S.C. might need you for a write in vote!

October 1, 2010 at 3:18 pm | Reply
  9. Stephen

I'll listen to them and take them seriously as long as the topic is food-related.

October 1, 2010 at 2:58 pm | Reply
  10. Texas Pete

If a chef was to speak to the country on which wine would go best with the veal, I would listen, but if they are talking about gun control, I wouldn't assume they would know more then me.

October 1, 2010 at 2:37 pm | Reply
  11. Bob Miller

Of course they should voice their opinions, just as the rest of us do. However, their opinions have no more weight than anyone's except in their particular areas of expertise.

October 1, 2010 at 2:35 pm | Reply
  12. Evil Laugh

I may take them seriously... but probably not. The problem with celebrities, and celebrity chefs, is that, though they have a lot of influence and strong opinions, it doesn't mean they know anything about what they're talking about.

So they should be able to say what they want, but frankly, I'm probably just going to ignore them.

My personal preference would be not to hear politics from them. I'd just like to watch their shows, listen to their music or eat their food without all the drama. If I want politics, I'll refer to politicians.

October 1, 2010 at 2:23 pm | Reply
    • Evil Laugh

On the other hand, looking back at what their specific issues were – these particular chefs are speaking out on food related matters. Genetically modified salmon and school lunches – this is totally their domain. When they speak out about other issues, reforms, whatever political stance they're passionate about, I tune them out. When it's something that I know they have a real knowledge about, I'm much more inclined to listen.

October 1, 2010 at 2:26 pm | Reply
  13. Here Cheffy Cheffy

everyone deserves to have a voice, its what this country is founded on

October 1, 2010 at 1:28 pm | Reply