September 29th, 2010

Editor's note: all week, CNN Newsroom, Rick's List and Eatocracy are teaming up to take a look the effects our dining choices have on our minds, bodies and wallets. Tune into CNN Newsroom daily from 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. ET for on-air coverage and join in the discussion here on Eatocracy. ALL COVERAGE

San Francisco's Land Use & Economic Development Committee heard from consumers and McDonald's executives Tuesday on a proposal by Supervisor Eric Mar that would ban toys in fast food kids' meals that exceed city-imposed nutritional standards on calories, fat, sugar and sodium.

Such toys or rewards, according to Mar, reinforce unhealthy eating decisions for youngsters. Opponents argue the toy ban will not do anything to solve the childhood obesity problem and is a case of nanny legislation.

More from KTVU California

1. Maria Manzo

This website definitely has all the info I needed about this subject and didnt know who to ask.

June 21, 2014 at 11:40 pm | Reply
  2. tryecrot

August 26, 2011 at 9:55 am | Reply
  3. Fleur Donaldson

I think one of your ads caused my browser to resize, you might want to put that in your blacklist. Proposed ban on Happy Meal toys makes some unhappy – Eatocracy – CNN.com Blogs is really a cool name for a blog BTW ;)

May 23, 2011 at 10:53 am | Reply
  4. AntiGovernmentTakeOver

Another example of too much government control: the "food police" are trying to take toys out of Happy Meals because they feel the child is being congratulated for choosing something unhealthy. Seriously? It's called business. If you think a certain fast food joint is too unhealthy for you or your child then DON'T EAT THERE. Here's an... idea, learn how to cook :)

November 4, 2010 at 10:31 am | Reply
  5. Shadow1

Beware the slippery slope. Will bakeries and cupcake shops be next? They sell sugary treats and–OMG–DECORATE THEM to entice people like me to buy them and eat them.–some even unapologetically display them in store windows. As a cupcake addict, I can only hope the San Francisco local government leaders will wake up to my cause and intervene on my behalf to ban cupcakes in San Francisco before I become overweight. It shouldn't have to be up to me to self-regulate my own weight or sugar intake–I am just a mere citizen–not an all-knowing council member or politician. We beg you, please remove all sugar and fat from the city before it's too late.

November 3, 2010 at 9:58 am | Reply
    • AntiGovernmentTakeOver

That is the funniest response I've read all day. Thank you. Your sarcasm is appreciated!!! <3

November 4, 2010 at 10:33 am | Reply
  6. Winston

When did we appoint San Francisco to be our nation's Big Brother? Forget nutrition issues–it's downright unconstitutional to ban legal substances and products like Happy Meals and cigarettes. Why is there no talk of banning alcohol sales if San Fran is so concerned with our collective health and welfare? Aaah, because the local economy and tourism would take an unrecoverable hit if alcohol sales were banned. All that lost tax revenue! I think McDonald's should throw its substantial corporate weight and resources into suing San Fran. It has no business telling any restaurant what they can and cannot serve to patrons or how to package product. This is a consumer choice issue, not a local government watchdog issue. No more of my tourism dollars will go to San Fran–had enough of your uptight attitudes and unwarranted consumer parenting.

November 3, 2010 at 9:48 am | Reply
  7. Erin

It's not the toys! It's not the cereal, or the chicken fingers, or the cookies, or anything else! If your kid if fat it's because YOU didn't teach them moederation. It's because YOU didn't take them outside and play with them. Stop blaming the food chains, the toys, and tv. YOU are their parent, not McDonalds or Nickelodeon, and it is your responsibility to teach your child to make good choices when it comes to thier bodies. Speaking as a parent, myself, they will follow your lead. If you lead a fat filled sendentary life, don't be surprised when your child does too. You want to see a change in your childs weight, start with YOU.

October 6, 2010 at 3:02 pm | Reply
  8. AmiableHacker

After reading these arguements, America is too concerned about itself. Yeah, obesity is a bad thing, and taking away toys I think will not help any. But why was this such a big issue. It's a TOY for goodness sakes! Your arguements are all invalid, including mine. The government will do what it wants. No matter how unhappy it makes us.

Really guys, just let it go.

October 6, 2010 at 2:12 pm | Reply
  9. Rachel

I think this is an amazing idea! I'm only 22 and I can remember begging my mom for Teenie Beanie Babies! I didn't care what I was eating, and I didn't know that McDonald's food is basically toxic poison at that time, either. This is finally a step in the right direction! Let's get obese America on the right track.

If McDonald's wants to keep their cheap toys (that just end up in our landfills, anyways) they should make that nasty food a little healthier! MSG and preservatives in everything? No thank you!

Don't follow the link if you wanna keep "lovin' it."

...and on a side note....you think ANY Olympian EVER eats McDonald's? Yeah, riiiiiiight.

October 5, 2010 at 8:05 pm | Reply
  10. Eddie

Let them have the toy it is not making them any thinner or fatter…. Even if you ate nothing but apples you still have to get exercise…. Get out and run around… freakin government need to protect the boarders than thinking about taking the toy out of a Happy Meal…..

October 4, 2010 at 1:29 pm | Reply
  11. Jeff

I expect nothing less from the idiots in San Francisco, and the other idiots who empower them. Lets let the local government decide how we feed our kids. Guess what. I have two kids who eat fast food routinely and neither one is overweight and its not because of their metabolism. I have to watch what I eat. American kids are FAT because they sit in front of a TVand a game console all day. My kids have a Playstation 3 but it doesnt rule their lives. My son plays football, basketball and baseball. My daughter cheers and dances. I dont need the government to tell me how to feed my kids and if you do then you suck as a parent.

October 4, 2010 at 1:28 pm | Reply
  12. Lawrence

Let's put a sign up at the fast food joints that says, "If your child is this much overweight you can't eat here." Do that for adults too.

October 4, 2010 at 1:27 pm | Reply
  13. Demara

To all the people reading this, toys are a franchise's way of pulling children in. When they're older, they'll say "hey, I remember getting a toy from this place... Let's go eat there!" They're just a money maker that should be pulled out. The toys are cheap anyways.

October 4, 2010 at 1:20 pm | Reply
  14. Woodro

These toys are made in China. China put lead in the paint, isn't there a ban on lead paint in the US. So why let China poisons our kids. If I decide to take my children to McDonald's or any other fast food restaurant they don't need a toy. You give them poison with their meal. Remember the dry wall. China doesn’t give a blank about us and either does these companies. It’s all about the “M”.

October 4, 2010 at 12:58 pm | Reply
    • interesting question to raise

not the reason I would ban the toys until this is proven, but a good question

I question everything that is made in china, it is the 'wild west' of business

buyer beware

October 4, 2010 at 1:05 pm | Reply
  15. smitty

It's parent's responsibility to feed their kids the right things. I don't think the occasional happy meal is going to hurt anyone. What I don't like about the toy is that they are typically cheap and plastic and end up in the garbage. That's a lot of extra trash in the landfills.

October 4, 2010 at 12:46 pm | Reply
  16. 3P

I say we ban all fast food places, e.g. McDonald's, Burger King, Taco Bell, etc. Just cook at home. If you really want to go out, go to a nicer restaurant.
    Oh, you like to take your kids to the little play area at McDonald's? Take them to a local park.
    Oh, your kids like toys? Buy them toys at any other store, where you don't have to buy a burger to get the toy.
    Or, you could just cook for your kids. Sound good?
    Thanks!

October 4, 2010 at 12:33 pm | Reply
    • Typical American

No, no, no, no!
      All of those ideas are FAR too radical. I want someplace cheap, where I can take my kid to be entertained without any effort from me, as I will be too busy yammering away on my cellphone anyway. And I don't want to overpay. But if my kid (or I) become obese, diabetic, etc, I want someone to blame.
      (besides me, obviously)