The CNN Challenge: Farming Quiz
September 28th, 2010

From presidential peanut farmers to the Whiskey Rebellion, think you know a thing or two about tilling the soil? Plow into today's featured CNN Challenge: the Farming Quiz.

It's easy: pick your favorite host - whether it be Rick Sanchez, Anderson Cooper or Soledad O'Brien - and get ready to sow the seeds of knowledge.

Take the quiz HERE.

Posted by:
Filed under: Bite • Business and Farming News • History • News

1. Gina Wolford

we need to stop using corn syrup in everything. I have hypoglycemia with a sugar intolerance. I had to learn how to read labels to protect myself because I am only to have natural sugars such as sugar cane,fruit sugar. Take corn flakes it has 4 ingrediants( not in order of listing) corn,salt,sugar & corn syrup. why does it need corn syrup when it already has sugar???? why does anything need corn syrup when it has sugar in it already?? you see comecials how it is ok in moderation but how do you get it in moderation when it is in everything???

September 29, 2010 at 5:31 pm |
  2. Tim

The quiz is lame. It has nothing to do with farming, only meaningless history questions.

September 28, 2010 at 1:21 pm |
    • TelcoPhil

Tim, you are correct!
      Sorry I wasted my time on the beginning of it.
      I was expecting questions on soil, planting, fertilizer, weather, etc.

September 28, 2010 at 2:10 pm |
  3. Wallace

Read up a little about Roundup Ready crops and the use of glyphosate: scary stuff.

September 28, 2010 at 12:08 pm |
    • TelcoPhil

Wallace, I learned a long time ago not to believe everything Wiki tells you. Look for other sources for information.
      Now, as for Roundup Ready, that is something I've been wondering about. That is is it the Roundup Ready that is killing our Bees?
      Wouldn't be the first time a chemical industry screwed-up.

September 28, 2010 at 2:13 pm |
  4. Maargaret Hawkins

Get HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP out of all foods. It's processed in the liver and converts to fat.

September 28, 2010 at 11:56 am |
    • TelcoPhil

Maargaret, I agree!

I suggest we stop buying all corn based products! Maybe we can bankrupt the corn industry?

Look for this title in The Atlantic dated 09/21/10 they have a good breakdown on sugar chemistry for all sugars.

"Sorry, Corn Refiners: The Name 'Corn Sugar' Is Already Taken"

Also look for a story out of N. Carolina on the "Funny Honey" law. They are cutting natural honey with HFCS: Article date 09/25/10 Associated Press:

"States expand efforts to combat 'funny honey' that isn't pure"

September 28, 2010 at 2:27 pm |
      • TelcoPhil

I wasn't sure if the links would post, so here they are:
        Sorry, Corn Refiners: The Name 'Corn Sugar' Is Already Taken (On sugar chemistry)

States expand efforts to combat 'funny honey' that isn't pure

September 28, 2010 at 2:44 pm |
Pinterest

| Part of

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 7,050 other followers