Lunchtime poll - the peanut butter ban
September 28th, 2010

We pay an awful lot of attention to what our commenters have to say, and so we took note of an argument that cracked wide open yesterday amongst the readers of our piece on packing healthy kid lunches.

By the way, re: peanut butter allergies in the schools... this might sound harsh, but other people's weaklings aren't our problem. Until the last 50 years, this would've been part of natural selection. Now we want to coddle everyone. If your kid can't handle peanut butter, keep them locked up in the house for all I care... but don't expect everyone else to have to "accomodate". - Joe

The problem with your horrible comment is that your kid's wayward peanut butter at lunchtime could kill a child with a peanut allergy. I have a son with a peanut allergy, & I assure you, he is no weakling. Allergy to peanut products has been on the rise & can be mild to deadly – no need for you, who has been blessed with such a healthy child, to be so vicious about it. Geesh! - JT

We're eager to hear what you have to say, especially in light of CNN Health's report on food-allergic kids suffering bullying in schools.

Say some smart, insightful stuff, and we just might feature your comments in an upcoming post.

Editor's note: all week, CNN Newsroom, Rick's List and Eatocracy are teaming up to take a look the effects our dining choices have on our minds, bodies and wallets. Tune into CNN Newsroom daily from 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. ET for on-air coverage and join in the discussion here on Eatocracy. ALL COVERAGE

Posted by:
Filed under: Allergies • Buzz • Health News • Lunchtime Poll • Peanuts

Next entry »
soundoff (2,284 Responses)
  1. Jake

I'm a vegetarian, my main source of protein is peanut butter. What am I suppose to do? Starve?

August 23, 2014 at 12:22 pm |
  2. Parker Cornes

I just tried to watch a National Geographic video on YouTube to find a message saying that the copyright holder had blocked me from viewing it because I'm not in the USA.. . Similar to HULU, and Comedy Central.. . Why?.

mobileranked.com

May 28, 2014 at 2:01 pm |
  3. personal training Long Island

All you need to do is stick all the kids with food allergies in one lunch period.

January 21, 2014 at 6:24 pm |
  4. melanie

I agree with joe why should I have to send my kid to lunch with something other then her favorite pb&j lunch just because a few kids have allergies? Why not have a room not in use during lunch that is a nut free room.now i dont believe that this makes them weak its not their fault and theres not much they can do about it. But i sure as hell wouldnt expect everyone to change just because of my kid,and i am going down to my school this week and letting them know to figure something else out for these kids because wheather they like it or not i am sending whatever my daughter wants to eat for her lunch that day unless they plan on paying my food bill.

August 19, 2013 at 8:36 pm |
  5. this is a test

wow! many thanks for that amazing piece of writing. I really beloved it to your main. Hope you retain putting up these wonderful content this is a test http://asdasj2e.com

February 28, 2013 at 6:03 am |
  6. Loan Rohn

I ought to say, youve got one with the best blogs Ive noticed in a long time. What I wouldnt give to have the ability to generate a blog thats as interesting as this. I guess Ill just have to keep reading yours and hope that one day I can write on a subject with as significantly information as youve got on this 1!

November 17, 2011 at 12:29 pm |
  7. Babster

Regardless of which side of the issue you come down on, you *must* read the article entitled "Why your child can't bring peanut butter to school (and what you can do about it)": http://snacksafely.com/2011/11/why-your-child-cant-bring-peanut-butter-to-school/

November 7, 2011 at 7:15 pm |
  8. peanut devil

First lets look at the outcomes of financial stress that the schools will be put in, if some one dies from eating peanut
    based products at the school. I hate paying taxes but our free Country forces us to. Know lets consider a law suit
    against the school for endangering some ones child and or the death of the child. Your taxes will receive a hefty hike and no one is going to come out ahead. Also do we segregate children of different race, gender, religion and or family preference. I know some ignorant people still do segregate but lets get real we are in 2011. The laws state that segregation is unethical and morally wrong, so who are you to say all children with allergies should be segregated. Would it be OK for me to say because your child has freckles they have to ride a separate bus, eat at a different table, or be victim to genocide to meet my needs. That would be ridiculous wouldn't it. Lets also look at the ADA Americans with Disabilities Act 1990 which insures that no person can be discriminated against based on illness or disability.

April 23, 2011 at 11:35 am |
  9. Life!

Geez! These parents are 'egocentric'. Can't you americans spare a life just for once and stop the 'me' talk?
    This is not about 'parenting' skills people! Get a grip, I mean you all need a pep talk on 'understanding' and 'compassion'.

Where is the sense of 'community' here? If it's a life-and-death situation, then give way! To have another day of life is way important than a 'peanutbutter fantasy' of a child!

These parents are sending the wrong message to their kids!

March 25, 2011 at 12:59 am |
  10. Pissed Off

This week my 12 year old (whom is peanut allergic) was bullied in the lunchroom. The kid smeared peanut butter on
    his face and clothes. Needless to say, not only was it extremely scary but a very close call. Luckily he got the Epi-Pen
    in time and the ambulance came quickly. We spent 2 days in the hospital. We can press assault charges if we want. But,
    we are letting the school handle it for now.
    So, for you negative (nay-sayers) on this site. SCREW YOU, My kid almost died this week.
    Unless you can keep your unruly bullies under control. There should be no Peanut Butter in the lunchroom.

November 5, 2010 at 2:32 pm |
    • PA Mom

As a PA Mom I beg you PLEASE press charges we have to send a message to everyone that this is attempted MURDER! I am pleading with you to do so, us other PA parents will stand behind you 110%. Don't let this kids get away with torturing your son.

November 15, 2010 at 4:34 pm |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25
Next entry »
Pinterest

| Part of

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 7,650 other followers