It's never too late for homemade ice cream
September 24th, 2010

As September wanes, I start my annual autumn affair with my ice cream maker. When cooler weather sets in, we get cozy and churn, baby, churn.

Honestly, I never quite appreciated the irony of heavy cream-based desserts abounding during bikini season. The ice cream truck jingle ends up turning into jiggle and while that's okay if you're a bowl of Jell-O, the beach isn't quite so forgiving. So, I flip fall the proverbial bird by making ice cream during sweater weather.

But since the weather is experiencing a tad of an identity crisis at the moment with record-breaking heat in various parts of the country, this weekend is the ideal time to whip up a cool taste of fall's fruitage.

A whole harvest of divine flavors come with autumn - apple cider, maple, cranberry, candied pecans - that you can, nay, should infuse into your frozen treats. Plus, the time is ripe to top a bowl of otherwise ordinary vanilla ice cream with end-of-season blueberries, peaches, plums, blackberries and a drizzle of honey.

It's the summer bounty's encore before the final curtain.

In the days of egg recalls and Ben & Jerry’s half-baked "all natural" claims, you really *should* be making your own ice cream at home - and no need to futz with a custard base.

Unlike custard-based or French-style ice creams, Philadelphia-style ice creams do not use egg yolks as an emulsifier. Instead, they're made by simply mixing cream, milk, sugar and the desired flavorings together - and here's the scoop, they're easy as pie to churn out.

Pumpkin Ice Cream
2 cups heavy cream
1 cup whole milk
1 cup pumpkin purée, homemade or the unsweetened, canned variety
3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
Pinch of salt

Pour all of the above ingredients into a bowl or blender and purée until smooth. Freeze the mixture in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions.

If you don't have an ice cream maker, don't worry.

Either place the bowl in the freezer, removing every half hour to beat with a whisk or electric immersion blender, or pour the mixture into a 1 lb coffee can and seal it tightly.

Place that can into a 3 lb coffee can, layer ice and rock salt around it and seal that tightly as well. Roll the large can between your feet or between two people for 10-15 minutes.

Then open the can, take the smaller can out, clean it off, unseal, and stir the contents. Reseal the can, pack it into the larger can, place in more ice and rock salt and repeat the process until the mixture is semi frozen. Pour it into a container and place in the freezer until it reaches desired solidity.

Vanilla Ice Cream

2 cups heavy cream
1 cup whole milk
3/4 cup sugar
1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise and scraped
Pinch of salt

Combine the above ingredients (including the scraped vanilla bean seeds and pod) in a large saucepan over medium heat. Bring the mixture to a simmer, and stir gently until the sugar is dissolved - do not let it boil. Chill in a refrigerator.

Remove the vanilla bean and freeze the mixture in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions, or use the manual instructions above.

Posted by:
Filed under: Bite • Cook • Ice Cream • Make • Recipes

1. guest

just made this for my Thanksgiving work potluck tomorrow, INCREDIBLE

November 23, 2010 at 9:48 pm |
  2. Mr French

I like homemade icecream more than that Dryers crap but I still prefer premium ice cream with eggs in it. The equipment to make the really good gooey ice cream is too expensive so I just buy it in pints every once in awhile, hand cranked ice cream just doesnt get the same consistency as the good stuff, plus a generic recipe online cant compete with a closely guarded recipe from a professional chef who knows ice cream so well they do it for a living.

September 28, 2010 at 4:53 pm |
  3. MC

Is there a reason I can't email this article and can only "share" it on social networks?

September 27, 2010 at 12:45 pm |
  4. superman

I made some chocolate/candied bacon ice cream and some sweet/potato/old bay ice cream with mini marshmallows, Both were amazing!

September 26, 2010 at 11:35 pm |
    • Jenn

I wish I would have seen this comment like 3 years earlier so I could get that sweet potato ice cream recipe from you haha

August 21, 2013 at 10:59 am |
  5. Dennis2547

Ice cream or sorbet are so easy to make. A child can do it with help from an adult. There are so many folks that like the easy of just heading to the Market to purchase your favorite dessert.
    One only needs to set aside some time to make home-made ice creams. The cost is far less than store bought. The best thing about home-made ice creams and sorbets is you get to choose what favors and ingredients you add to make it taste just the way you want. It is a no brainer. I have made ice cream and other desserts for more than 50 years. Thank you to all my departed grand parents whom taught me the joys of cooking and dessert making.
    A retired US Army veteran

September 26, 2010 at 4:01 pm |
  6. Yavanna

My grandma used to make a peach cobbler with home-made peach ice cream. It was so yummy to have the cobbler hot from the oven with the ice cream melting on the top.

I should probably buy an ice cream maker... I've got the bread maker but only use that once or twice a year. Sadly with as busy as we are, I'd probably only do the ice cream as infrequently.

September 26, 2010 at 3:28 pm |
  7. Jim, Los Alamos, NM

We always make homemade ice cream, custard based, on the 4th of July but other occasions are good too. We have had a rule that you have to crank if you expect to eat any ice cream. We have enforced that rule for more than 40 years for less than year old babies to 90+ great grandmas. It makes the ice cream taste a lot better! My dad used to tell of visiting his in-laws and cranking the second batch while they ate the first. We use half and half. We tried skimming the cream from dairy fresh milk a couple of times. It coated the roof of your mouth like butter. Hmm. Maybe we need to crank out another batch today while the grandkids are visiting.

September 26, 2010 at 9:27 am |
  8. Libby

The best ice cream maker is about $200 from Cuisinart (hint: you don't need to pre chill, you can just drop it in, make several batches). The down side is that it sounds like a jet plane.

I have 9 different ice cream recipe books (there are more). I love that I can make mango sorbet without HFC.

September 25, 2010 at 5:09 pm |
  9. The_Mick

Sounds so good! As the oldest and first retired of my immediate family, I'm often asked to babysit my sibling's kids and this is a fun activity for the next time – so I'm cutting and pasting the article into my "Recipes" folder. Thanks Sarah!

September 25, 2010 at 1:53 pm |
  10. TC

This is the perfect time to by an ice cream maker because the summer season is over and they are discounting them to get them off the shelves.

If I wasn't allergic to milk I'd make some pumpkin ice cream, it sounds so yummy

September 25, 2010 at 9:47 am |
    • c

Use coconut milk. It makes great ice cream!

September 26, 2010 at 7:46 pm |
    • Jennifer

try goat milk or goat milk yogurt. most people who are sensitive to milk are sensitive to a protein in cows milk and can tolerate goat milk.

September 28, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  11. dcw

...oh my god. See, this is why the canister of my ice cream maker is always in the freezer. BRB making pumpkin ice cream

September 24, 2010 at 9:37 pm |
  12. misschana209

yummmmm Half baked ice cream by ben&jerrys is theee best..i encourage those who havent tried it yet to do so... & yess homemade icecream is thee best but lot of process....

September 24, 2010 at 7:48 pm |
  13. Evil Grin

Pumpkin ice cream makes the BEST sundaes. Homemade pumpkin ice cream must be even more amazing.

I regret to say that I don't believe I've ever had the privilege of tasting real homemade ice cream, although I've been told by many people that taking the cream right from the cow and making it into ice cream has the greatest flavor you can find.

September 24, 2010 at 4:42 pm |
    • Susan

I'll bet it's because it's not pasteurized, processed, had vitamin pills, and goodness knows what else added into it. Fresh milk period is something many people have never tasted. Too bad. Fight your way back to the basics, everyone. It is so worth it, you don't know what they have convinced you to eat vs. what you are missing. Yech, chemicals everywhere...

September 24, 2010 at 6:32 pm |
      • Wzrd1

Yeah, REAL practical advice! I'm going to get a cow, a few sheep and a goat for my one acre total property so I can have fresh meat and milk...

September 25, 2010 at 1:21 pm |
Pinterest

| Part of

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 7,322 other followers