CNN and Foursquare join forces to promote healthy eating
September 23rd, 2010

Editor’s Note: What we choose to eat, where we buy our food and how much we spend on it says a lot more about who we are than you might think. Beginning Sunday, September 26, 2010, CNN Newsroom will launch a week-long series dedicated to healthy eating called, “Eatocracy: Mind, Body and Wallet.”

Onions, peppers and pears, oh my!

Let’s face it, eating healthy is not always fun. CNN has joined forces with the location-based social network Foursquare to change that.

Starting on Sunday, follow CNN at Foursquare.com/CNN and check in at a local farmers market to unlock the special CNN “Healthy Eater” badge.

Eating healthy, local, farm-fresh foods should be fun and rewarding. In addition to being thanked by your body, show the CNN “Healthy Eater” badge to participating farmers markets and the vendor may choose to give you a discount or gift with your purchase.

Farmers markets maintain a special place in many major cities and small towns around America. Find the Union Square Greenmarket nestled between traffic in New York City or bump into Alice Waters picking her tomatoes at the Ferry Plaza Farmers Market in San Francisco. Probably your favorite farmers market is the one down Main Street, under that bridge and to the left.

Wondering where the nearest farmers market is to you? Don’t worry! The USDA launched a searchable Farmers Market Directory that includes over 6,000 locations in the United States. Even more, there are 10,651 venues across the globe where Foursquare users can unlock the special CNN badge.

"We've seen time and time again how foursquare can be used to drive people to action, and CNN's campaign is a perfect example of how brands can use the platform to promote good behavior, such as healthy eating" said Dennis Crowley, CEO and Co-founder of Foursquare. "We're very excited that CNN is using Foursquare to make it easier for viewers to find locally grown food, and working with managers of farmer markets to arrange discounts through our Specials platform."

In the spirit of Foursquare, share your passion about healthy eating. Leave tips about your favorite farmers markets and CNN will try to share some of them on TV.

And when you are not out hunting for farmers markets near you, tune in to CNN Newsroom daily from 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. ET and continue to check out the latest food news at CNN.com/eatocracy.

Posted by:
Filed under: Buzz • Farms • Farmstands • Foursquare • Local Food

1. J.D.

Farmer's markets in Boston please! I am the mayor of two yet i am without a badge :-(

November 2, 2010 at 5:23 pm |
  2. Bill

I just became mayor of my local farmer's market, the Greenville State Farmers Market, but I cannot unlock the badge. Am I missing something?

October 20, 2010 at 3:27 pm |
  3. Joanne Richart-Young, Ag Coordinator, Cecil County, MD

Update of Maryland Farmers' Markets – there is no longer market in Chesapeake City.
    Only Market is Fridays, 3 to 7 p.m., corner of Bow and Howard Streets, Elkton, MD, 21921.
    More information call joanne – 410-996-8469 or 443-553-3113.
    Check website: http://www.cecilbusiness.org – cilck on Agriculture in left menu.

October 15, 2010 at 1:43 pm |
  4. What the hell

why doesn't this badge work or even show up in my foursquare badges. I have checked in at more than 3 markets and my local farmers market doesn't even show up on foursquare? I want the badge but can't get it at all on my app....and going straight to the website/cnn doesn't help either. There should at least be a faq if you are going to do a partnership, especially if it doesn't show up on the app and isn't obvious.

October 5, 2010 at 2:44 pm |
  5. Lee

Way to go CNN! Way to go USDA! Our market currently offers free produce for the first check-in too. This is the coolest thing to hit farmers' markets since sliced cucumber!

September 29, 2010 at 2:09 pm |
  6. Club Dine In!

I am a Farmer's Market junkie and promote healthy eating. Super excited to have unlocked the badge at the Ferry Plaza Farmer's Market on Saturday. Check out my Farmer's Market finds: http://clubdinein.wordpress.com

September 27, 2010 at 2:42 pm |
  7. Rob Bechard

I love CNN, BUT this morning this morning your announcer said they were even doing a taste test on Eatocracy: Mind, Body and Walle Organic foods, then the reporter siad he was going to keep his opinion to himself. Moron, that's one of the reasons I watched the report was to get his opinion like they said he was going to give.

September 27, 2010 at 12:42 pm |
    • kathrine

Are you who i think you are and are you still cooking!!!!!!!!!!

January 28, 2011 at 10:17 pm |
  8. Sheila Ritucci

Any news media that supports healthy eating, farm markets and a general concern for sustainable food production should be applauded. The more it is done...we will all benefit tremendously.

September 26, 2010 at 3:39 am |
  9. Robert Piccus

What happened to the "badge" that was mentioned when clicking on this link?

September 24, 2010 at 3:13 am |
  10. bill

Hey CNN, how about including some farmer's markets from Seattle? There's one in almost every neighborhood. Are you really going to make me drive down to Portland just to get this badge?

September 23, 2010 at 8:33 pm |
  11. yuvraj

thanks cnn,

i proud of all those honorable ten people

yuvraj s biradar

September 23, 2010 at 4:23 pm |
  12. nick

i knew something was going on when cnn kept having main page articles about foursquare...

September 23, 2010 at 1:29 pm |
  13. Stephen Lalla

I disagree with the statement in the article that "eating healthy is not always fun." It is if you know how and wish to put forth minimal effort.

September 23, 2010 at 12:54 pm |
    • Really

I can think of exactly ONE thing that is *always* fun.

CNN didn't say eating healthy was never fun, just that it wasn't always. It isn't. You're either perfect or lying if you say that 100% of the time you'd rather eat a strawberry than a piece of chocolate cake (insert junk food here).

No matter how healthily most people choose to eat, most of them wish at least occasionally that they were eating something less healthy.

I'm fairly certain the point CNN is trying to make is that anything which makes eating healthy less expensive, or more convenient, or tastier, is going to make it a little more fun.

September 24, 2010 at 1:02 am |
  14. Nick Cicero

Healthy Monday had pitched an idea very similar like this to Foursquare, shame they decided to partner with CNN instead of a national non-profit organization like us. http://www.healthymonday.org

September 23, 2010 at 12:26 pm |
  15. bonbon

I wish they were having a show on loosing weight!! I need the boost, like a free gym membership and a diet trainer!! LOL i volunteer!!!

September 23, 2010 at 12:22 pm |
  16. HiDsrtGrl

Very Cool! Thank you CNN and Foursquare.

September 23, 2010 at 12:21 pm |
  17. Kelly

Gowalla is so much better. Can't wait till foursquare implodes. This "partnership" sucks.

September 23, 2010 at 12:18 pm |
    • ~Derek

Yeah, I agree. Gowalla is much better and I have tried both extensively.

September 23, 2010 at 1:16 pm |
  18. martin

LOL That logo finally shows CNN and Apple together as one... We all knew it to be true anyway. Keep shitting on other tech companies cnn....

September 23, 2010 at 11:51 am |
  19. kitchen geek

Hmmm, so I'll have to wait an extra week to unlock since my market is on Saturday?

September 23, 2010 at 11:37 am |
    • Jooky

Nope, it's active now. I checked into our farmer's market this morning and earned the badge.

September 25, 2010 at 4:31 pm |
Pinterest

| Part of

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 7,307 other followers