September 21st, 2010

1. Coach

All- none of the product on the table during this story was 'GMO'! There are NO GMO peppers, grapes or edamame-type soybeans on the market. These differences are all due to the same natural breeding we've been doing for thousands of years (which, by the way, modifies genes!). Don't beleive me? Check out the USDA or BIO web sites for approved GMO products. I'm all for picking food because of taste, but let's not make stuff up. This was really bad reporting.

September 27, 2010 at 2:37 pm |
  2. El Kababa

What we have learned from Exxon, Enron, HP, ADM, BP, and other global corporations is that unless a saintly federal regulator is holding a gun to the head of the CEO, every corporation will lie, cheat, steal, cook the books, bribe legislators, lie to inspectors, bribe inspectors, lie to consumers, lie to investors, buy pretty girls for influential friends, bribe the county commissioner for a zoning variance, deliver cheap asphalt when high quality asphalt was called for in the contract, and never, never, never, never tell the truth about anything to any audience. They deliver one message to consumers, another to investors, another to government, another to competitors, and another to suppliers.

We have to forget that Libertarian/Ayn Rand/Gary Cooper romantic vision of the brilliant entrepreneur. It does not describe what we see happening in front of our eyes. We are so accustomed to corporate lying that we think it is unremarkable when the corporation always downplays problems. It never just tells the damn simple truth. They say the leak is only 5,000 gallons, knowing it is much more, but hoping to cover up the difference. They say there is no defect in the product, but finally they admit that a number of people have been killed and very reluctantly they order a recall. The makers of Motrin are in the headlines today because they tried to conceal product defects. Corporations admit the truth only when they are unable to cover up the reality.

So my questions to those who defend the introduction of frankensalmon are these. What test results were suppressed? What test animals were secretly destroyed? What "independent" scientists were chosen to test the product because of their willingness to produce desirable results? What inspectors were bribed? I don't know and we'll never know. All I know is this: no corporation can be trusted in any situation for any task. I oppose the introduction of new technology until we bring technology under control. I love science and I admire scientists. I dislike global corporations and I am in complete contempt of their leadership.

Corporate science is to science as a whorehouse is to an art museum.

September 22, 2010 at 8:49 am |
  3. Mac

One problem with all genetically modified food that the genetic modification comes from another organism. If you are allergic to beef you might (or might not, they have not been tested on enough humans yet) be allergic to Frankenfish.
    Another problem with farmed salmon is that they are usually fed wild fish or food made of wild fish, which although minor as human food are an important part of the food chain.
    Another is that a small percentage of the sterile triploids salmon are fertile and might (or might not but scientists do not know yet) be an environmental problem when, not if, they escape.
    Salmon farms are often a breeding ground for parasites and diseases which can endanger wild fish. This is a proven fact and subject of ongoing legal struggles and impending litigation.
    Farmed fish can be labeled 'organic,' but wild cannot! I am not certain if this applies to genetically altered farmed fish.

September 21, 2010 at 11:25 pm |
    • TelcoPhil

Mac, they feed them more than just fish. They also feed them scrap chicken parts and scrap cow parts ground-up and dried. This was the reason for spreading Mad-Cow prions into other species which we end-up eating.
      Cooking doesn't kill the Mad Cow prions.

Google it: "Mad-Cow prions"

September 22, 2010 at 7:19 am |
      • El Kababa

There are prions? I didn't even know there were prions! I'm afraid to google it.

September 22, 2010 at 8:56 am |
  4. Esther

Dragun- I don't have a problem being the first "documented" case- although I've encountered quite a few people who also made the connection between GMOs and food allergies they've developed, particularly mothers whose babies developed allergies to corn and soy due to oversaturation in formula and baby food.

I am concerned with a food shortage too, it is a scary thing. However, I don't believe the GMOs that were put into the food supply have been any solution. They have had 15 years to provide these foods to the starving people of the world. . . what's the hold up? Also, the crops they created are being mostly used as chemicals and oils in processed foods and fast food- something tells me feeding everyone was not the main concern.

In terms of sustainability, dousing the crap out of these GMO crops with pesticide isn't exactly taking care of the soil- it's becoming irrepably polluted. We need to do more with fresh food- put our tax dollars work creating fresh, healthy, natural food.

Biotech may eventually create great, safe products- but that hasn't happened just yet and the FDA needs to rectify the damage they've caused to our food supply before they introduce more frankenfoods into the market.

September 21, 2010 at 8:44 pm |
  5. Jake

Seems to me the issue with fish (especially wild fish) is that they haven't been able to be selectively bred like modern livestock. There's nothing natural about many of the animals produced for consumption, but they weren't created by modifying genes in a lab, but they were modified the old fashion way, breeding traits you like over and over again.

I suspect soon that people will prefer the modified food, same way people tend to prefer the overly fattened turkeys to their wild counterparts.

September 21, 2010 at 4:53 pm |
  6. Tom Mack

Marketing to Businesses?
    Emails get ignored – this proven direct response method will not.
    Need an easy way to get past the gate keeper? Speak to decision makers directly.
    Dominate your market – Locally – Nationally – World Wide
    More information and FREE trial http://ContactPageMarketingMachine.com

September 21, 2010 at 4:10 pm |
  7. Anne

When your strawberries are the size of bell peppers like some I saw in stores this summer, you don't need to taste it to tell the difference.

September 21, 2010 at 4:08 pm |
  8. bobby

Hey guys, it's not about the taste. What is being done to us in the name of bigger or better taste or cost reduction is not relevant to the problem of creating something which is not natural and HAS BEEN PROVEN to alter whatever eats it to MODIFY THEM GENETICLY. Link to the research that's already been done and realize we are rolling the dice geneticly...just because we can, And for the sake of big business who's aim is to claim ownership of the food we eat... ALL the food we eat ! If you are not aware of what is going on ...make an effort to educate yourselves. Once we turn the corner on this stuff we won't be able to recall the damage. And damage has already been done repeatedly with the worst yet to come. The aim here is to control food, not improve anything. Just like the aim is to control all of earth's resources so business will have a free rein to charge whatever they want...and they want it ALL. That's the aim...that's the end. Government has no current plan to control this abuse and shows no signs of interest of ever doing so. There is already a massive effort also to control 1st amendment freedom of speech regarding GMO foods...that's right ...you will be arrested for your opinion...Good Luck and remember you now have the facts and still have the right to act. It won't last long. Many countries have banned GMO foods for good cause. Those countries still have their freedom of speech.

September 21, 2010 at 2:25 pm |
    • Lynn DeArmond

bobby,
      While I'm sure your intentions are good, your knowledge and reasoning for some of these technological advances, like them or not, is lacking. Whether talking modified genetics or Mega Farms, they are result of dwindling resources in both land and harvesting of food products which facilitates need for enhanced technology to feed the world. Your analysis of less freedom is also a little "bass akwards". Look arounf the world and you'll see governments with limited food supplies control their citizens as people will respond to almost any governmental dictate to avoid hunger. Bottom line is if USA starts imposing sanctions on food supply, there will be less food, extremely high costs, and eventual loss of freedom.

September 21, 2010 at 5:17 pm |
  9. Ron

Oh, for crying out loud!

Cosmic background radiation passes through your body 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 52 weeks a year! It is constantly knocking out a proton or neutron here or there in your cellular structure!

Getting out of bed is dangerous! Give me genetically modified food or give me death! I don't care anymore!

September 21, 2010 at 2:19 pm |
    • Matthew

Thats the spirt Ron! If you stop caring you win! You've really managed to show your intelligence. Pick up a book. You might learn something.

"Because of indifference, one dies before one actually dies."
      Elie Wiesel

September 21, 2010 at 4:05 pm |
    • boby

Ron thanks to imbeciles like you and too bad there is more of your kind then the thinking and reasoning types, we have to pay to get our genes mutated, Also GMO destroys your DNA, also LOTS OF STUDIES HAVE BEEN DONE SHOWING ANIMALS BECOME INFERTILE BY THE 3RD GENERATION , FOR THE "I DON'T CARE" IDIOT SCHMUCKS ....YOU WILL NEVER HAVE GRAND CHILDREN, BUT....I SUPPOSE THAT'S GOOD, STUPID SHOULD NOT REPRODUCE. GO TELL YOUR KIDS THAT "I DIDN'T GIVE A DAMN THAT YOU WILL BOT BE ABLE TO HAVE KIDS"
      HOPE THE NATURAL SELECTION HAPPENS SOONER
      IDIOTS ARE BAD ENOUGH – F-ING IDIOTS ARE EVEN WORSE – THEY REPRODUCE
      FU

April 23, 2011 at 10:39 pm |
  10. Jim

Hey TwM: Farm-raised salmon contain more PCBs because they are raised in pens near the shore. Color is added because they don't get shellfish, and they don't taste as good. You're not supposed to eat more than 1-2 servings per month of farm-raised (PCB concern)

September 21, 2010 at 1:50 pm |
  11. TwM

No way you would know the difference in taste of the fish.
    Why are people afraid to embrace he new technology, these fish will be healthier and their diets will be properly watched. Not so in the wild, where all sort of garbage gets in the waters. That is why mercury levels are so high in Natural fish. Farms that spawn fish naturally would be fine, healthier etc. However the gentically engineered fish should be the healthiest of all. All the bad genetics will be removed.

September 21, 2010 at 1:33 pm |
    • Evil Grin

I beg to differ on the taste. You can definitely taste the difference in fish. Especially if you're eating sashimi, or if you are eating a lightly grilled salmon without many spices. When the flavor of the meat is the focus of the dish, you can tell. Just as you can tell with beef, corn or grass fed, poultry, frozen or fresh and according to what they're fed. It's only when your dish is heavily spiced or sauced that you can't tell the difference.

September 21, 2010 at 1:46 pm |
    • Dragon

You would be wrong. You can taste the difference in a GMO/Farm raised fish -vs- a wild caught fish easily. I have proven this to myself when the local store here started selling farm raised fish. I had just been fishing and caught two fat rainbow trout. Went o the store and bought two farm raised trout. Cooked all four fish the same way and my wife and I had one of each. ' I ' knew which fish on the plates were wich. My wife didn't, and in her words concerning the farmed trout "Sam.. this trout tastes bad, taste it and tell me what you think?" and for the wild caught trout "I don't understand why that one tastes better than the other".

So yes.. you can tell the difference. Oh and before you ask.. the farm raised fish had a flat, 'old fish' taste to it to me. My wife and I refuse to eat any GMO product. We eat only organic meats and produce, even if it is more expensive to do so.

September 22, 2010 at 3:13 am |
  12. Erica

It's not fair to compare two different species. Of course they had different color; if you cut open a cow and cut open a sheep, they wouldn't be the same inside. I hate unfair comparisons.

September 21, 2010 at 1:02 pm |
    • Guy Jolly

No kidding! and notice how the "normal salmon" looks all nice and healthy and the "genetically altered salmon" is very dark and looks like it is unhealthy. At least that is the way it looks to me as a non fish expert, which is the way I assume most of Americans to be like.

September 21, 2010 at 7:31 pm |
      • TelcoPhil

Those are two different species of Salmon. Natural salmon is a darker redish-pink, it from what it eats 'in-the-wild.'
        That is why the smaller one is a lighter color, different species, different waters and different food source.

September 22, 2010 at 7:14 am |
  13. Evil Grin

Of course you can taste the difference. And local farm fresh is always going to taste better than the trucked in produce. Wild caught salmon is also always, in my opinion, better tasting than farmed salmon.

As far as sustanability, in the case of the fish, I'm okay with farmed or genetically altered fish if it means saving the natural species. And let's face it, people aren't going to suddenly eat less of all the fish species.

I would absolutely love a label saying "genetically altered" or whatever marketing friendly term they come up with on those products. I like to be informed. Sometimes I will opt for the genetically altered produce/meats because of price and sustanability. Sometimes I will opt for the pure stuff for flavor. As far as fruits and veggies go, I already buy locally as much as I can, so I would opt for the pure produce far more often than I would opt for wild caught fish.

September 21, 2010 at 12:31 pm |
    • dj

the people behind this know there is a large pool of tort lawyers that would love to start a class action against them. Genetically engineered food has been around for a while and will continue to grow. We have no choice if the world population keeps increasing, fertilizer supplies are diminished, pollution of the oceans continues, the climate changes, and commercial overfishing depletes stocks. Nature can't keep up with our demands, and we seem to be incapable of reducing them.

September 21, 2010 at 2:41 pm |
      • nature_fan

Oh yeah so now we will just fill up the cancer wards and use more chemo for people made sick by unnatural foods, and that will really help out nature. The earth is capable of supporting all life that is here and will be here in the future. Instead of new burger kings and junk food stores being built the land that they occupy could hold a crop to feed the local areas people. We ALL get the same amount of sunshine everyday around the globe and can feed ourselves with the proper education and opportunity. So don't claim that Frankenstein science is the only solution to greed and bureaucracy!!

October 13, 2010 at 6:31 am |
    • Esther

I can feel the difference. Thanks to GM corn and soy I developed food allergies to corn and soy. We're all feeling the difference whether it be due to obesity, digestive illnesses, poor immunity, etc.- these foods have been so harmful to our nation's health. It's a shame the media did not give proper attention to these frankenfoods when they were first introduced. I can only hope that attention to GMOs will cause them to FINALLY be labelled. Can you imagine how it feels knowing these foods made you sick and yet you are subsidizing their production with your tax dollars? It's sick!!!

September 21, 2010 at 4:02 pm |
      • Dragun

Really?!?, then you are the first documented case i have EVER heard of that claims Genetically enginered food caused a total alergy to all foods of that type (corn/soy). This kind of missinformation is what is keeping these types of technologies from moving forward. Look, if you think that our race is sustainable at the rates were going you are woefully missinformed. At the rate our human race is reproducing and conuming resources, were talking about a food shortage of epidemic proportions within our lifetimes. Scary scary stuff.

September 21, 2010 at 5:34 pm |
    • TelcoPhil

I almost bought some sliced in a sealed package last week, until I read the label and noticed it said "color added".
      Then you have certain reporters and others trying to blur the lines between 'Genetically Modified" and Cross-Bred or Cross-Pollinated". They are not the same, so in their comments that we have been eating it for decades is only a half truth!

September 22, 2010 at 7:05 am |
Pinterest

| Part of

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 7,362 other followers