5@5 - Chef Tim Love
September 17th, 2010

Tim Love hails from the land of yellow roses, cowboys and barbecue - better known as Texas. Love is the chef and owner of The Lonesome Dove Western Bistro in Fort Worth, where his urban western cuisine has garnered him national critical acclaim. He also operates two locations of the burger-centric Love Shack.

We talk a lot in this neck of the woods about the great vegetarian debate. When you're immersed in the food world, it's an ongoing conversation that never ceases to fascinate and/or stir up reactions. On the other hand, when you come from a state with cuts of meat named after it (i.e. the Texas ribeye) like Love, being an omnivore is pretty much a way of life. Now, he's here to tell you why you shouldn't have beef with eating meat.

You don't eat no meat? That's ok, he'll make you lamb.

Five Reasons Not To Be A Vegetarian: Tim Love

1. "Because meat tastes better than vegetables. Period. There are fantastic chefs like Jeremy Fox and José Andrés who have done amazing things with vegetables and even made me consider going vegetarian for a split second. But then I took a shot of tequila and came to my senses. I mean, really, which would you rather have - a grilled Texas ribeye, or a piece of squash? Which just made your mouth water?"

2. "Because when you walk into a steakhouse, you never hear anyone say 'wow, doesn’t that creamed spinach smell great?' Unless, of course, the spinach is made with bacon."

3. "Imagine a restaurant full of preachy vegetarians. Enough said. I’m kidding, of course. Some of my best friends are vegetarians, but even they have a tendency to be a little on the holier-than-thou side. If I want to eat meat, let me eat it in peace. Nobody is forcing you to be a vegetarian, so why are you trying to force us?"

4. "Eating vegetarian may seem like the healthier option (and, probably, often is), but when it comes down to it, meat, in moderation, provides much needed protein, iron and amino acids. As long as you don’t go overboard and eat one of those 15-pound burgers you see on TV, you should be fine."

5. "Because you’d get a lot of funny looks if you tried roasting a pumpkin at a tailgate instead of a pig."

What's your take on vegetarianism? Agree? Agree to disagree? Could you give up eating meat? The comment section is open for business.

Posted by:
Filed under: 5@5 • Cuisines • Think • Tim Love • Vegan • Vegetarian

soundoff (1,543 Responses)
  1. Paul Whipple

Having the fantastic health and financial resources to travel with my wife as much as possible, to see more of the world and meet more of its people today.

January 14, 2014 at 8:35 am | Reply
  2. kaspersky key

Hi I really enjoyed reading your weblog . The information were really informative. Thank you very much

September 19, 2013 at 8:13 am | Reply
  3. mia clarisonic

Enjoy is a single happy also acceptable solution for staff occurrence.
    mia clarisonic http://www.clarisonicmiavsmia2.com/

December 9, 2012 at 7:41 am | Reply
  4. Margrett Hardmon

Great article! I enjoyed this content and agree on many sound thoughts you have shared. Thank you for writing material that makes so much sense.

November 29, 2011 at 5:30 pm | Reply
  5. I got what you plan, thanks for putting up. Woh I am gladsome to acquire this website finished google. Thanks For Share The Biography of Steve Jobs.. The Founder Of APPLE | COL LOL.

I used to be very happy to find this net-site.I wanted to thanks on your time for this excellent learn!! I undoubtedly having fun with each little little bit of it and I have you bookmarked to take a look at new stuff you weblog post.

November 18, 2011 at 7:18 am | Reply
  6. roger

Unless you are too pig headed about eating meat watch this – speaks for itself : http://www.peta.org/issues/animals-used-for-food/default.aspx

September 30, 2010 at 10:07 pm | Reply
  7. Angelic

After reading all these comments: I will keep my comments silent.

September 27, 2010 at 6:18 pm | Reply
  8. Legs O'Hiley

@choppedanddropped50

Steers and queers? Really? So it's okay to make homophobic remarks as long as you are a vegetarian? What other license does that give you?

If you read what the Chef said, you'd see that he mentioned something about 'in moderation'... that's something to be considered here. I actually know the background of this chef, and he doesn't use the pumped-full-of-'roids-and-chemicals meats.

Of course it's healthier to eat just vegetables. He even said so, had you read what he was saying without your vegetarian blinders on. But the right meats from the right places, in moderation, can also be healthy.

Using linear thought, with your logic, I'm sure you never go outside without a full-body suit on. The sun can give you cancer too, ya know. I'm sure you don't use a cell phone, ride a bike with your body-suit on, never have a sip of alcohol, only eat vegetables that you grow (in your body-suit), have a wind-powered home and work in a wind-powered office, and never use anything which has batteries which have to be disposed of.

My point is... pretty much everything will kill you if you over-do it. Not everyone is an idiot who over-does it. Maybe you should think about that before making homophobic rants in which you think you are making some pious stand. Some of us were born with self-control. You obviously were not, and therefore feel the need to monitor how everyone else lives due to your own shortcomings.

I'm from Texas, and I can assure you that while we have our share of idiots, there are more things here than "steers and queers". There are actually intelligent folks here who know the psychological approach to recognizing that folks who have a penchant for making homophobic remarks on a regular basis are typically trying to either mask their insecurity about their own sexuality, or compensate for what's lacking in their pants. Which category do you fall into? I seriously doubt someone who has to repetitively refer to 'being manly' is anything close to it.

I have no problem with vegetarians. I respect those who are able to make their case without being childish and moronic, as several here have. There are valid points on both sides. If you choose to continue to speak out for your cause, I'd suggest trying an intelligent approach... if you have the capacity for that.

Just my humble opinion, anyhow.

Peace.

September 27, 2010 at 2:32 am | Reply
  9. Swami

Slick Willie talking straight for a change . . .

September 22, 2010 at 4:36 pm | Reply
  10. InLove

AmericanPatriot, I love you.

September 22, 2010 at 5:40 am | Reply
  11. Herbivore

Here, in summary form, is the case for vegetarianism:

(1) It's better for you. About half of Americans die of heart disease, which is primarily due to their arteries being clogged by animal fat. Meat has also been linked to cancer, including colon cancer. It also contains high residual amounts of the pesticides sprayed on the crops the animal ate before it died-much higher rates, in fact, than the crops themselves contain. Meat also contains high levels of the potent antibiotics fed to animals so that they can be crowded into unsanitary conditions. Avoiding meat is just plain better for you.

(2) It's better for the planet. 80% of the U.S. corn crop is used to feed pigs and cows before they're slaughtered. All of the water, energy and pesticides used to grow those crops must be factored into the environmental cost of eating meat. It's been said that as much water goes into raising a steer until he's is ready for slaughter as it takes to float a navy destroyer. The negative environmental impacts of meat production also include the pollution of ground water, etc. as a result of concentrated animal feeding operations(aka factory farms).

(3) It's better for the animals. Humans have always applied morality to animals, we've just been selective about it. But true justice and morality are not selective. Animals are living, feeling beings. They absolutely suffer when slaughtered; don't kid yourselves. On what basis do you condone doing to a pig-a highly intelligent animal-that which you would never do to your dog? As has often been said, the real question is not can they think or can they reason, but can they suffer?

People invoke the "food chain" to excuse the killing of animals for food. Two points: First, do we really want to invoke "nature" as our moral guide? In such a world, couldn't a murderer or rapist be set free by presenting evidence that what he did occurs in nature? I don't think we want to go there. Second, there is nothing "natural" about modern food animal production, which relies on technology in the form of barbed wire, cages, trucks, conveyer belts, knives, boiling cauldrons and refrigeration. You cannot excuse as natural a process that is fundamentally technological. If you could, how would you distinguish morally between the use of atomic weapons and the devastation of a city in a hurricane or earthquake? Killing animals is the responsibility of those who do it, those who profit from it, and those who buy and consume the results.

Finally, a couple of words in direct response to Chef Love. He falsely portrays the choice as that between a steak and "vegetables," including "squash." As the chef should know, vegetarians actually eat everything EXCEPT meat, poultry and fish. The number of tasty and satisfying vegetarian meals is endless, as evidenced by the vast array of vegetarian cookbooks and the exploits of chefs like Tal Ronnen, Annie Somerville, David Anderson and others. For day-to-day grub, Bean burritos, mushroom pizza, pasta with pesto sauce and even the good old PB&J are all vegetarian.

September 21, 2010 at 11:55 pm | Reply
    • mo

NIcely written.

September 26, 2010 at 10:55 pm | Reply
  12. Friend of Jesus

The baby cows in these videos were just born. Welcome to the world baby cow. We humans think we are so much better than you. Most of us are so offended if anyone thinks we should care about the incredible suffering of your short unnatural lives.

September 21, 2010 at 7:41 pm | Reply
  13. blkbam

I'm doing a year long food habit experiment and this month I'm a vegan. This month is the hardest thing I've ever done in terms of eating. i can say personally, it's not the way to go. http://www.ironwillyear.com

September 21, 2010 at 4:41 pm | Reply
    • Friend of Jesus

Interesting personal challenges, but for most vegans it doesn't take an iron will. It just takes awareness. Here, this will make it easier.

Take a good look at what your meat and dairy dollars are paying for:

September 21, 2010 at 5:05 pm | Reply
    • Swami

It may be difficuot for you simply because of facts of physiology. It can take longer than the time that you're giving it for all low-level physiological mechanisms to 'adjust' ... but once they do they will work -better-. Physiological chemistry will make it clear to you if you have the time to study it thoroughly.

September 22, 2010 at 4:34 pm | Reply
  14. John D

I eat a lot of meat that I kill myself. It's fresh, and there are no hormones in it.

September 21, 2010 at 1:59 pm | Reply
  15. Seriously

AmericanIdiot (or was it patriot or something),
    Tonight I am having a big, juicy steak in your honor. Cooked in pork fat. With nothing else on it.

In fact, I think I will throw a party for literate people (meaning: not you) who can think critically (meaning: not you) and I will serve lots of tasty meat.

And when you get cancer from one of the other million things that cause cancer that often have nothing to do with food at all, like the chemicals in your laundry detergent or the tainted water from your tap or newsflash: the sun, I'm going to have a hard time feeling sorry for you.

Almost everything in excess causes cancer or heart disease or tumors or whatthefrickever. Moderation is key. A little bacon never hurt anyone, but it sure did make many a person much happier.

September 21, 2010 at 1:30 pm | Reply
  16. Cheryl Phillips

so are there any cool Food Trucks in the Ft.Worth-Dallas area?

September 21, 2010 at 11:27 am | Reply
  17. Sarah Parker

Wtf, dumbest article ever...even if it is sarcastic (which it's not). CNN, stop bowing to the cattle industry like everyone else. Have some morals.

September 21, 2010 at 9:26 am | Reply
  18. Emily Dodge

So if a vegan is preechy, the meat-eater who wrote this article is simply...providing "news". I see. How typical.

September 21, 2010 at 9:11 am | Reply
  19. Stephen

Who cares about the looks you'll get from overweight, low-energy, myopic-minded, rednecks eating off the back end of a vehicle? Are you so insecure you'll be peer pressured to put something in your body that you can't safely eat (without cooking)?

This 'article' is riddled with defensive jargon like "preachy" is an obvious sign of low self esteem. (We're not all preachy, in fact, we often don't even want meat eaters to know our diets because we'll get lectures on protein which "is only available in meat").

Please, don't say WE'RE preachy when writing an 'article' (seen by millions) displaying why your beliefs are the only right ones. Isn't that the definition of 'preachy'?

September 21, 2010 at 8:53 am | Reply
  20. OprahSaysSO

WHAT??????????? Texas BEEF AGAIN? Didn't we do a show on this the already? BEEF CAUSES DISEASE AND AUTISM!!!!STOP BEEF NOW!!!!PULL BEEF FROM THE MARKET!!!!!

September 21, 2010 at 5:52 am | Reply
  21. Mr Potatohead

Omni: "Here, have a hamburger"
    Veggie: "No thanks, I'm vegetarian"
    Omni: "Stop preaching at me!!!"

September 20, 2010 at 11:40 pm | Reply
    • Stephen

He he he, that's good (because it's true).

September 21, 2010 at 8:55 am | Reply
    • Friend of Jesus

So succinct!

After years of the treatment you described, I've learned to defend my intellect and my humanitarian dietary choices.

Thank you Mr. PotatoHead!

September 21, 2010 at 7:30 pm | Reply
    • Andrew

Omni: "Here, have a hambuger"
      Veggie: "No thanks, I'm vegetarian"
      Omni: "Oh. Sweet, more for me!"

September 30, 2010 at 11:28 pm | Reply
  22. Mim

I respect his opinion. I am vegetarian because I am allergic to fish, seafood, and can't seem to digest meat proteins I barely eat eggs. I jumped off the vegetable truck in college and was just sick all the time. I tried for two years. As soon as I went back to my original way of eating, I got back in balance.

All I know is that I pay attention to what I eat and the nurse called me after my last physical to say that she hadn't seen test results as good as mine ever.

I think people should eat the way they want to. i won't try to convince them to vegetarians or make fun of the way they eat.

September 20, 2010 at 7:34 pm | Reply
  23. Andrew

This guy just sounds like a huge prick, and owning a couple burger joints does not make you an effing chef. Oh, my, this burger is just SO good. It's, like, as good as the nine million other burger joints within driving distance! Whatever. Here:

1. Squash does make my mouth water. Your point is absolutely stupid and could be applied to anything, anywhere, anytime. Imagine you've been slogging around running errands on a 100-degree August afternoon and finally stop for a drink and some late lunch or early dinner. What makes your mouth water? A Texas ribeye or a cold bowl of watermelon gazpacho? That's what I thought.

2. I walked back into my apartment yesterday and smelled the maple from a dish of maple-roasted root vegetables (beets, sweet potatoes and carrots) that made my head spin in the best way. Don't tell me the overwhelming smell of bacon is the only scent worth its salt.

3. So the reason to eat meat is so people don't force you to become a vegetarian? Beyond the fact that this "point" offers no "point," you should also avoid all gay people unless you want to turn gay because of it. Oh, and you can get AIDS from drinking fountains and doorknobs.

4. I get tons of protein, iron and amino acids from a broad range of plant-based foods. I snack on things like pumpkin seeds and fresh fruits, and my diet has an embarrassment of riches when it comes to local, organic, protein-rich greens, veggies and beans.

5. But not if you grilled up some seitan-pinto sausages and chickpea burgers. Especially if I made my own buns (which I usually do) and homemade BBQ sauce. So put that up against the general HFCS buns and store-bought, E. coli-and-antibacterial-ridden food generally served at American tailgaters, and I'll take my veg options any day of the week.

September 20, 2010 at 3:09 pm | Reply
  24. Josh

This is the most ignorant thing I have ever read. Wow. Someone actually spent their time writing this. And then I wasted 3 minutes of my life reading it. I'm outta here.

September 20, 2010 at 1:11 pm | Reply
  25. Victoria

I completely agree with Jim.
    Mr. Love: stick to what you know – which is cooking and leave the nutritional and health advise to the professional.
    Proud to be vegetarian!

September 20, 2010 at 12:58 pm | Reply
  26. Nick Kuiper

I was hoping this would be at least half serious. I guess it's easier to make jokes about eating meat since the cases in favor of consuming meat are so weak.

September 20, 2010 at 12:22 pm | Reply
  27. Joe Veggie

Posts like this make me really upset because they are couched in this sort of idea that there is an actual debate going on about a vegetarian diet is a worthwhile one to follow. Pretty much everything the guys says is either his own opinion and not based in fact, or it's just an insult. What a waste of space!

1. "Because meat tastes better than vegetables. Period. There are fantastic chefs like Jeremy Fox and José Andrés who have done amazing things with vegetables and even made me consider going vegetarian for a split second. But then I took a shot of tequila and came to my senses. I mean, really, which would you rather have – a grilled Texas ribeye, or a piece of squash? Which just made your mouth water?"

This is highly subjective. Does he think that meat can be eaten raw (which vegetables can), without salt, spices or condiments (which vegetables can), or that if most people could describe their favorite dish it would be impossible to do it without vegetables (but that meat substitutes like Seitan are widely available whereas vegetable substitutes are impossible).

Why would someone say the creamed spinach smells good in a steakhouse. All you can smell in a steakhouse is the smoke and burnt, cancer causing meat. Also, there's a reason why meat, dairy and eggs give off more odor – it's because it's tissue and mucous.

Saying some of your best friends are vegetarians is like saying you're not a racist because you have close friends who are a different skin color than you. Does he think that a minority group should be quiet simply because they're the minority? What about the constant drone of ads like those put out by the beef, pork, egg, and dairy industries trying to convince you that you should eat their products. Is that not preachy?

So, as long as you don't eat a 15-pound burger you should be fine? Is this guy a doctor? This is horrible advice. The daily nutritional recommendation from the USDA for foods such as meat, beans, eggs, nuts, and fish is about 6 oz. per day total for an adult male. Children should only eat 2-4 oz. of these foods per day. (Source: http://www.mypyramid.gov/pyramid/meat.html) Actually red meat is quite bad for you and should be avoided completely if possible due to its correlation to cancer, cardiovascular disease, and hypertension.

Ok, now this is ridiculous. Why would I roast a pumpkin? I've heard of baking pumpkins, or usuing them in soups. But roasting a pumpkin at a tailgate party is pretty stupid and unlikely to happen. However, there are many meat substitutes as well as veggies that are delicious and nutritious on a grill.

My overall conclusion? This 'chef' is not really knowlegeable about nutrition or health. He's more concerns with his personal tastes and the tastes of his customers.

September 20, 2010 at 11:14 am | Reply
  28. Uncle Ver

I see a hierarchy being placed on life. The absence of a nervous system, or cerebral cortex, leaves the life-form open to otherwise objectionable treatment (abuse, mutilation, being cooked alive, etc.). Causes of disease, or ill effects of pollution and production can be cited from animal or plant based sources, as any reader of the above comments can see.

I propose respect for all life, which is everything – the universe, including our mental concepts and perceptions. Every action must be thoroughly meditated on in order to realize this – it's an eternal cycle. Where to begin pointing out even my own hippocracy? Using a computer powered by destructive energy production... We are all in this equally.

google: plant perception

September 20, 2010 at 10:24 am | Reply
  29. Fairness

"Take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." – Elie Wiesel

September 20, 2010 at 1:08 am | Reply
    • Friend of Jesus

Fairness, Thanks for posting this quote, but I agree with it, in most case, certainly in this one.

September 20, 2010 at 3:19 am | Reply
  30. Maria A Porras

I am saddened to see how violent and insulting some of the comments are. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and we should all respectfully agree or disagree. Thank you – Maria

September 19, 2010 at 9:37 pm | Reply
  31. BB

As for the vegetarian thing..I have been one for 6 years. I used to love animals, they tasted good! Biu all of the sudden, it tasted gross and I could not come to terms with the fact that I was eating a dead carcass. That does not stop me from feeding it to my family. I don't impose my will, or plaque peeps with my neurosis about it. I'm no food Nazi.

Tim Love is an arrogant fake who has let supposed 'celebrity chefdom' go to his head. I know the guy, and believe me, he is a TOOL. All the chef's in the Dallas Ft. Worth area know that he is a joke, and they all laugh at him behind his back, because we all know that the real talent in his kitchen are the Hispanic's who toil away and make amazing food while he collects the credit and the money.

September 19, 2010 at 8:52 pm | Reply
  32. WOW

That has got to be one of the stupidest "articles" I've ever read. Why does CNN like to promote dumb?

September 19, 2010 at 9:28 am | Reply
  33. Lindsay

Oh, Tim. This is bad... so very bad...

The reasons you give for not being a vegetarian are immature and without any kind of depth, your ideas are antiquated and so selfish, and there is absolutely nothing I can find redeeming about this article. I could say so much more, but my own ideas and feelings would probably be wasted on you, I think. I ate animals, their milk, and their eggs for 24 years before deciding to go vegan two years ago, and I didn't decide to do it for me – I did it on behalf of animals everywhere. Animals who have no way of protecting themselves or stopping the abuse occurring to them every single day. Animals who have no way of protecting themselves from people who think the way your article communicates – people who just don't seem to care at all that these sentient, caring beings ever had a family, a will to live – a LIFE – to begin with. By continuing to live vegan, I get to live my life in a way that respects animals, makes me a healthier human being, and is helping to save the world step by step. This article just proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that I will continue living this way until I die, so I guess in a way, thank you for this.

September 19, 2010 at 3:19 am | Reply
    • Dave

Well said! My situation is almost the same as yours. Consumed meat and lost of milk for 25 years before becoming vegetarian (borderline vegan, really) 9 months ago. And it feels great.

September 19, 2010 at 2:45 pm | Reply
  34. we have about 20 years

I just finished reading The Coming Famine – The Global Food Crisis and What We Can Do To Avoid It by Julian Cribb. I must admit I feel frightened for the future of America, from reading this book. I felt like I woke up and could suddenly see the future, and it wasn't good. But,I have to say, Julian ends his book on a high note, that we as a global community will learn to overcome this together. On page 202 he says "Like the global climate to which we are all subject, the global food supply will decree our fate, no matter who we are, or where we live. If through our neglect or abuse of resources it fails, each of us will bear the consequences." The situation demands "a greater effort in societal and international cooperation, education, personal commitment, public-private alliances, and the burying of age-old differences, hatreds, and fears." I'm just sayin'...we don' have time to argue . love ya all

September 19, 2010 at 1:24 am | Reply
  35. Evz

Wow. Really? REALLY??!! That's IT??? man... that is WEAK! Let's see... so, either I can avoid supporting an industry raising animals in hideously cruel & unnatural conditions; avoid kiling in the absence of need; avoid supporting the unregulated pollution of land, air, and water for miles and miles around the CAFOs/ slaughterhouses/ packing plants/ battery egg farms/ etc; avoid supporting the tremendously wasteful use of land, water, and fuel resources by industrial animal-ag producers, relative to plant food production; avoid supporting an industry notorious for human rights abuses, immigration fraud, and worker exploitation; avoid skyrocketed risk of stroke, heart disease, obesity, diabetes, and cancer... OR... I can not get funny looks at tailgate parties?

THAT's your argument?!! No wonder the ranks of planteaters are steadily growing... This guy is secretly a vegan, trying to recruit new folks to the veg path; that's the only thing that makes sense! or... you know... not awfully smart. Gotta be one of those two things...

Anyway: pass me the pumpkin slices, please, with some skewers and a nice grilling sauce!

September 19, 2010 at 1:18 am | Reply
  36. I didn't know CNN was posting whimsy opinion pieces

Uhhh errr let's go down the list!

1. Subjective point
    2. Last time I checked, people who go to steakhouses go there for the steak and are not concentrating on the sides, though sides can make or break a meal for those with a wider palate.
    3. Look. Who's. Talking.
    4. Actually, red meat tears up your insides and does a crazy amount of hurt to people with IBS and Acid Reflux. It's like digesting razor blades and crushed glass.
    5. Cultural difference. Way to alienate potential diners.

It's all about moderation, mon freunde.

September 19, 2010 at 12:46 am | Reply