September 15th, 2010

The official statement from Olivia Watkins of the Louisiana Department of Wildlife & Fisheries is, "Low tide kept the fish trapped in the body of water without access to the Gulf, limiting the available dissolved oxygen and killing the fish," but locals fear oil is to blame.

Your take?

Get more from WLW

See all Gulf Coast seafood coverage on Eatocracy and full coverage throughout CNN

Posted by:
Filed under: Environment • Fishing • Health News • News • Ocean • Oil Spill • Tainted Food

Next entry »
« Previous entry
  1. justhealer

I would come here to visit frequently,It's not too good to say it awesome,hopefully more related articles to come up,thanks!At the same time,welcome to my blog, health tips,maybe you would like it,thanks again.

July 13, 2011 at 4:09 am |
  2. Cindy Novak

Attributing Dissolved Oxygen to a Fish Kill is like attributing a Fever to being Sick. It is a SYMPTOM not the CAUSE. If low tide were the reason for Dissolved Oxygen, then the bayou would have experienced repeated fish kills prior to the oil spill. The lack of media coverage and the pony show by federal and state agencies prove once again that money hushes D.C.

September 18, 2010 at 3:40 am |
  3. frenchbungler

addedly I would highly suspect that it was BP oil that we are talking about here. Maybe CNN would like to spend money to check it fhe oil came from some other unreported leak that we have been experiencing lately?

September 16, 2010 at 1:26 pm |
  4. frenchbungler

It would take a sheer idiot, mental midget, or maybe a CNN employee to determine that it is otherwise than OIL responsible for these fishes' demise.

September 16, 2010 at 1:23 pm |
  5. NYNJJP

What happened, CNN? Did BP pull the plug on advertising, allowing you to report news again? There's no secret in Louisiana that the spill isn't over yet. This has been happening all along.

September 16, 2010 at 12:59 pm |
  6. TAMMY!

I'm always hearing "its ok to eat gulf coast sea food" "go ahead and eat it." Then things like this happen.

September 16, 2010 at 3:25 am |
    • RichardHead

I guess I'm lucky cause I will only eat tuna from a can. Do Not do seafood. I like to catch the fish and if their big enough I'll give it to someone else.

September 16, 2010 at 3:35 am |
  7. RichardHead

Waited all day for someone{anyone} to comment on this article.I wanted to give a smartass answer as Jdizzle and I normally do,though we are normally accurate in our reply's. People are afraid to question this administration's miss-handling of the Gulf oil spill.Fish kills do not happen overnight unless toxic chemicals or manmade bacteria are involved. Yes ,I have heard of Red Tide yet it has not been proven to be a natural cause of fish kills. Once the well was finally capped we ALL turned a blind eye to the Gulf Coast. Friday we got our answer on whether our government was really looking out for it's American citizens.Thousands of Red Snapper,perch, even small whales now float on their sides in this oil fouled inlet that CNN has covered from the beginning of this spill. We are now told low tide trapped all these species in this inlet and they all died of lack of oxygen. Maybe these dead fish or our government will believe this bullshit-yet I do not. Wright egg farms-over 400 verified samples of salmonella and the FDA knew about it. Nothing done. Hartz Mt.Beef dog treats-salmonella-let me get a committee on that for you. Can't tell you whether those tomatoes or green peppers are the cause of salmonella,but don't worry you'll only be sick for 3 or 4 days. The kicker is -all the illnesses aren't reported until 30 or 60 days after the fact. So I guess my point is this from the Obama Administration-"Do Ya feel lucky punk? Well do ya?" Can't say that I do Mr.President when YOU bring in people with NO experience in Food related illnesses.

September 16, 2010 at 12:45 am |
    • JamesD

Way to go RichardHead, start pointing the finger at President Obama. This problem has its roots dead at the feet of Former President Bush (and his daddy before him). We are all finally paying the price for all those years of the right-wing's cozy relationship with big oil. Do your homework next time before coming off half-cocked about my [our] President.

September 16, 2010 at 7:31 am |
      • BillCat

I'm glad he's yours. He damn sure isn't mine. since you want so badly to bash the Bushs you forgot to add that there was an Arkansen in between them.

September 16, 2010 at 11:31 am |
    • Jdizzle McHammerpants

USA!
      USA!
      USA!

September 16, 2010 at 11:38 am |
  8. David W.

This is outrageous. This is the same kind of disingenuous dissembling Americans are asked to accept is "business as usual". The oil companies, now largely out from under constant media scrutiny, has no motivation to accept responsibility for anything else happening in the Gulf, despite their claims and stated intentions. Highly toxic oil and dispersants FLOODED the Gulf, and their effects will be felt for a long time to come. For the agencies and companies involved in overseeing the restoration efforts to pretend otherwise is outrageous! It's right up there with Big Tobacco and the people who feed our nation's children the worst food possible because it's "cheap", turning a willful blind eye to the long-term costs and ramifications of diabetes, heart disease and cancer that is the inevitable result. It's a big shell game, and everyone seems fairly content to let it slide. Disheartening.

September 15, 2010 at 5:25 pm |
    • pam w.

agree 100% – what can we do- who will listen to us who has power??

September 16, 2010 at 11:17 am |
Next entry »
« Previous entry
Pinterest

| Part of

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 7,050 other followers