September 9th, 2010

iReport recently asked what you dreamed of becoming when you were young. And then tell them what you actually did grow up to be.

iReporter Joshua Estrin was just hanging out, minding his own business in a vineyard when good ol' Joe Bastianich comes up strumming on his guitar. Seemed like the perfect opportunity to ask what he'd be doing if he hadn't ended up feeding people Italian food and wine with more than 20 restaurants and most recently, the 40,000+ square foot "Eataly" Italian food emporium.

iReport has the FULL VIDEO

See Joe's mom, Lidia Bastianich, make a mighty pretty pizza pie.

Got a story to share? Using iReport, share written words, videos and luscious photos if need be, and we'll include our favorite responses in upcoming features.

Posted by:
Filed under: Buzz • Celebrity Chefs • iReport • Joe Bastianich • News

Next entry »
  1. Mike

this is a show looking for ratings, if they praised everyone, who would watch. Joe may be a bit gruff at times but you have to remember that he has his own restaurants and is a businessman. K know this because I was a manager at BECCO. so, when you see him on the tube and you think, he is full of himself, it is just for show. Mike

August 30, 2011 at 8:22 pm |
  2. Paul

I enjoy watching Lydia's show and seeing her family, it's what she's all about. I even enjoy the segments where she travels to Italy. Her son is who he is. Not a big fan but it does not take away from my enjoyment of Lydia.

September 10, 2010 at 2:52 pm |
  3. andy

The Bastianich crowd is an example of out and out nepotism. Lydia's show was good in the beginnning, but once she started pushing her son and daughter and her grandchildren into it, I quit watching. It was like it became more about them than the food.

September 10, 2010 at 2:22 pm |
  4. Cieje Valentine

I wanted to be a jet pilot, but then became acrophobic...

September 10, 2010 at 9:39 am |
  5. Diane

when i grow up i want to be old, when i get old i want to be young to grow up to be old

September 9, 2010 at 6:41 pm |
  6. RA

when i grow up i want to have many babies...opps too late im 71

September 9, 2010 at 4:13 pm |
  7. Carl

Why do I have to grow up?

September 9, 2010 at 3:13 pm |
  8. jillmarie

I thought I'd be an author. Then a movie star. I'm a Program Director instead.

September 9, 2010 at 2:08 pm |
  9. Matt Foley

When I grow up, I want to be livin in a van, down by the river.

September 9, 2010 at 12:31 pm |
  10. Gratuitous Suckup

When I grow up, I want to be a food blog editor for a major Atlanta based news network's website...:)

September 9, 2010 at 12:31 pm |
  11. Jdizzle McHammerpants

A junkie. 'Cause those anti-drug commercials from my childhood told me "No one ever says they want to grow up to be a junkie". I figured I'd be in high demand, commanding a high salary.

(remember the "this is your brain, this is your brain on drugs" commercials)

September 9, 2010 at 11:18 am |
    • jeanne

Am i the only one out there who wishes Bastianich had become ANYTHING other than a pompous ass? The guy makes me sick. I've eaten in several of his restaurants – usually as the unwilling participant in a crowd of people who think Sbarro's is "great Italian" and only want to eat in his places because Mario Batali is involved. The food is borderline edible in some of the joints. But this arrogant jerk parades around on his TV gig Master Chef like he's the one to impress and he belittles and spews obnoxious comments at the self proclaimed "amateur cooks" who are vying for another reality show title. He makes Ramsay look like a saint. He makes himself look like an ass.

September 9, 2010 at 4:25 pm |
      • Jdizzle McHammerpants

Bad day at the office?

September 9, 2010 at 4:32 pm |
      • Megan

Jeanne – You hit the nail on the head! Ole' Joe's mon Lydia created the restaurants; all I ever saw him do was arriving to HER show looking half asleep and suggest a wine for the dish SHE cooked! He's a JERK!

September 9, 2010 at 5:43 pm |
      • Chicharito

i like Lydia's Italy... but I can't stand Joe.

September 9, 2010 at 6:17 pm |
      • Erik

Nice to see I'm not the only one who really just cannot abide Lil' Joey A-Hole! Lydia is amazing & her restaurants offer sublime dining experiences. Joe is just a hanger-on spoiled-heir entrepreneur. I have to agree also with the comments about the Mario Batali connection-what's the attraction? He is not even a good cook. I have given several of his eateries a try & been monumentally underwhelmed each time. My only hope is that they are so overextending themselves that they collapse under the sheer weight of their overhead. Then if we could just get Emeril to go away & take that nasty Rachel Ray with him it would be once again safe to go out for dinner (or turn on a "cooking" show).

September 10, 2010 at 10:31 am |
      • jeanne

Megan – thank you – I had forgotten about his interaction on Lidia's Italy, and you're right, he was a bore then as well! And No, Jdizzle – good day at the office – bad day on Wednesdays when I have to look at his miserable face while I enjoy an otherwise interesting show! Must say, I was happy to see the young Mississippi girl beat the other arrogant little fella – Sharone. Sorry, arrogance blankets talent every time in my book.

September 10, 2010 at 10:34 am |
      • jeanne

Erik – just read your post and Amen to that! Have to admit – albeit with head hung low – that I checked out Emeril's restaurant in Vegas when I was there last. Got what I SHOULD have expected. High prices, subpar food. Like Ray, Sandra Lee and the rest of their merry band of COOKS, not chefs, they're in it for the fame and fortune not the end product. Batali and Bastianich's latest venture – Eataly – in NYC is now open helping them rake in more money. Maybe they should put some of it toward a good Etiquette School for Joe and Mario should take a trip back to Italy and refresh his memory as to what good Italian food really tastes like!

September 10, 2010 at 10:42 am |
      • NotYou

I agree with you! Joe is an absolute turd. I wish I could reach through my tv and b*tch slap him.
        I can't stand the smug look on his face when he makes his cruel and entirely useless comments!
        Down with Joe the Turd!!!!!

July 25, 2011 at 10:04 pm |
      • Kathy

OMG..This Joe bastianich has to be one of the biggest douchbags I have ever seen on one of these reality cooking shows..God I just can not stand him..such an asshole!!!

July 27, 2011 at 6:43 pm |
Next entry »
Pinterest

| Part of

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 7,650 other followers