Lunchtime poll – midday fare
September 8th, 2010

When you're a food editor, many folks assume that your weekday lunch is all about gallivanting about town to linen-topped tables and daily fetes by big-deal chefs, or a meticulously packed, food-snob-approved, fancy-schmancy repast eaten with actual cutlery at an on-site test kitchen.

Bwahahahahahahahaha!

Chances are that our managing editor has fled her desk for three seconds to cobble together a tofu-centric salad bar clamshell container while craning her head around for an Eliot Spitzer sighting in the CNN cafeteria and our associate editor has done her "Bouchon Walk of Shame" back from Thomas Keller's bakery counter downstairs. We wolf it down at our desks and promise ourselves we'll do better next time.

Posted by:
Filed under: Buzz • Lunchtime Poll

1. Roachmon

99.9% of the time, I make sure there are leftovers from last night's dinner to bring to work, which I eat in my cube. Today was a chicken brerast (From a Beer Butt Chicken), seasoned rice and brocolli. My coworkers are always asking what I brought for lunch.... I guess I'm a good cook. Last week, I had some foot with my lunch, as a coworker asked what I brought that day and why I always have such tasty lunches... I replied that I didn't like going out and the frozen lunch dishes taste like "Salty Dog Food"..... just as she reached into the freezer and pulled out a frozen Pot Pie..... she called me a Food Snob and cracked up....

September 9, 2010 at 1:54 pm | Reply
  2. Jeannette

It changes from day to day. We have a cafeteria here and sometimes I use that, other times I'll fix myself an elaborate bento, others I'll eat crap at home just thrown in a tupperware, sometimes it's a bag of chips from the machine, others it's a sandwich, sometimes it's drive thru and other times I'll go out to a restaurant. One time I even made a picnic lunch for me and some friends. It varies, so I had to choose "other." (Today I have a sloppily put together bento of leftover fajitas and watermelon and tortillas.)

September 9, 2010 at 12:03 pm | Reply
  3. Dee

@Megan:

I, too, usually eat either a salad or a tuna sandwich on whole grain for lunch. I am also extremely fussy about everything I put in my body and exercise regularly. The results are worth it. Don't listen to the negative comments on this board – they're either jealous or don't understand the basics of taking care of oneself.

September 9, 2010 at 10:46 am | Reply
    • megan

Glad to hear you are doing the right things for your body, Dee. I think a lot of people here might be a bit too focused on how they look/how much they weigh when they consider their diets (i.e. I drink diet coke but doc says I'm losing weight, I eat high protein and because I'm an athlete, this must be a good idea, etc.) and not nearly enough time considering disease. But you're right, they could be jealous too. Seems silly that one would get jealous of a stranger, but how else do you justify personally attacking someone (you're a loser, you think you're better than everyone else, etc) simply because I said my diet is better, which any health professional would agree with if they compared mine to the ones I was commenting on yesterday? The good thing is I don't give two turds what any of these people think, and they can spend their lives fat, out of breath and battling diseases for all I care. To you, Dee, wishing you a lifetime of good health.

September 9, 2010 at 12:07 pm | Reply
      • Leah (TXanimal)

You have to understand that anytime you criticize someone's choice of diet based on YOUR personal opinions (yes, even though you read the guidelines laid out in an AHA publication, it is YOUR OPINION that this is the "best" diet), you're going to get flak. Did you really expect people to jump on your bandwagon just because you claim "it's better"?

I know you think I'm "wrong" because my choice of diet reflects my needs as an athlete, but that choice was ALSO made after reading various guidelines, publications and studies. There are MANY different guidelines, publications, recommendations & studies put out by many different medical facilities, organizations, research institutions, etc., all with different motives, funding sources, research methods, context, qualities of publication and personalities behind them. There are many factors including lifestyle, activity, age, genetics, etc that lead people to choose the "healthier" diets they do. You chose what YOU believe is the "right" diet based on your interpretation of the recommendation. You can argue until you're blue in the face that this is the "best" diet, and I'd have just as much justification and support to argue mine. Nobody's saying you shouldn't recommend healthier choices...just keep that in mind next time you make your claims.

September 9, 2010 at 4:19 pm | Reply
  4. Don

If it's not leftovers, it's a sandwich normally. We eat a lot of multigrain stuff, drizzles of olive oil, bulghar wheat salad, etc. It's so much better for you than most sanwiches, take out or restaurants. Try this. Boil, drain and let cool bulgar wheat according to instructions on package. Mix with red seedless grapes halved, feta cheese, chopped fresh parsley, toasted slivered almonds. drizzle with extra virgin olive oil. Eat it chilled or at room temp. You might have to add olive oil in the morning because the bulgar wheat absorbs the oil big time. Plus, the best way to eat extra virgin olive oil is raw, since it has such an incredibly low smoking point.

September 8, 2010 at 10:04 pm | Reply
  5. Tracy

I almost always bring leftovers that have been recombined into something different from their original state. This usually makes for an interesting, tasty and nutritious lunch that I eat at my desk as I read the news; since my new-found (and numerous) food allergies, I've been spending a lot more time thinking about food than I have since I gave up catering years ago. One of my colleagues keeps a veritable candy store in her office and it's like a game to see how many ways I can go to meetings, the washroom, etc., without venturing near that land mine.

September 8, 2010 at 9:33 pm | Reply
  6. Pugowner

In my previous 6+ years in retail I skipped more meals than I can remember or ate fast food when I had 5 minutes to spare. In my new job I do take the time to sit down and enjoy a lunch (bought or packed) and thank God that I'm able to do that.

September 8, 2010 at 9:23 pm | Reply
  7. Kristin G

I work in a school and cafeteria food is as bad as everyone remembers. I take my lunch (a sandwich) and eat at my desk while I grade papers. 40 minute lunch break but we're not allowed to leave the building. I also eat breakfast there (a yogurt) as I am there by 7 A.M. every day. There's almost always food (usually cake) in the faculty room to fill in the gaps.

September 8, 2010 at 8:15 pm | Reply
  8. LP

We (hubby and I) eat our main meal at lunch. On Sundays I cook two full meals and package them up; since each makes four servings, that covers our lunches for the week (we work four tens). So it's basically dinner food for lunch. In the evenings, we have salads or cereal.

Fridays are take-out or eat-out; more labor-intensive meals on Saturday and Sunday.

I love to cook, so I like to really be able to spend time with it, which can be hard on weeknights.

September 8, 2010 at 8:15 pm | Reply
  9. the best

i butter my entire pack of bacon and wrap it around some sausage and eat that. Its way good for you.

September 8, 2010 at 7:23 pm | Reply
  10. Dude

@ megan

September 8, 2010 at 6:58 pm | Reply
  11. Dude

Pics or GTFO.

September 8, 2010 at 6:57 pm | Reply
  12. Jessy

Works for me.

September 8, 2010 at 5:34 pm | Reply
  13. Jessy

First off who says my WHOLE post was just about you. Second you don't know me and you don't know what I eat so there for how do you know I haven't tried your "superior diet"? Since you are so interested...I am a vegan and I work out about 3 days a week. (and yet I don't cram my eating habits and ideas down any ones throat) My doctor says I am fit as a fiddle so my dear why don't you take your own advice and .."shut up".

September 8, 2010 at 5:05 pm | Reply
    • megan

Uh, you specifically mentioned my name in your post. Call me crazy, but usually when someone does that, the named person will assume it is directed at them. Sorry you don't like what I had to say, but perhaps you should stop writing to me if you don't care for me and my opinions. Usually when I find someone annying, I don't continue to chat with them. But, hey, that's just me.

September 8, 2010 at 5:25 pm | Reply
      • amy

You know what else is just you? You're really stinkin' rude. You've probably got high blood pressure from being so angry You sound pretty angry and are trying to come across as superior, most likely because of your inferiority complex.

Take your high-and-mighty salad and shove it up your you-know-what.

September 8, 2010 at 6:42 pm | Reply
  14. Les

diet coke... i do take a lunch break and leave the office -- otherwise, the work never stops. it's usually spent running errands that i don't want to do after work.

September 8, 2010 at 4:24 pm | Reply
  15. indycarguy

Usually left overs from previous evening. We do eat well for dinner so it's always a treat for lunch. Once in a while a sandwich, and with winter on it's way I like soup for lunch. Happily we have a decent kitchen at work that affords the preparation of such things.

September 8, 2010 at 4:01 pm | Reply
  16. Terrance G. Shults

At home. . .Decaf, Ritz peanut butter crackers, maybe half a can of light fruit. Trying to lose weight. Take a catnap in the extra time from eating less. 62 years, 5'9"" 200, used to be 250, Doc would like 190 and my six month check-up is in Oct.

September 8, 2010 at 3:57 pm | Reply
  17. LB

When I worked, I HAD to physically leave the office in order to have an actual break. I used to buy $2 subs from the grocery store and eat on a park bench by a lake. Where else can you read in public without some idiot demanding to know the title?

September 8, 2010 at 3:54 pm | Reply
  18. Peppermint Patty

I either have a turkey sandwich or peanut butter (the kind w/ honey and nuts) and jelly sandwich. Then sometimes I'll either throw in a piece of fruit (I love tangerines or peaches) or a strawberry yogurt. Fridays are my "treat day" so I will get a cuban sandwich in Ybor City and then finish it up an w/ espresso. :-)

September 8, 2010 at 3:50 pm | Reply
  19. Marcy

Workingmom40 that sounds awesome! I loved it when my dad use to pack my lunch. I still can remember it, a ham and cheese or tuna sandwich,a thermos of milk and a little debbie swiss roll. When they are gone those little memories mean a lot.

September 8, 2010 at 3:17 pm | Reply
  20. Leah (TXanimal)

I work out on my lunch hour and then grab a lunch at home before going back to work. I eat 6 times a day, however, so I also keep a tub of protein powder at work...sometimes I also have pre-cooked chicken or leftovers in the office fridge. On Fridays I either go to lunch with a friend or treat myself to some fast-food guilty pleasure treat.

September 8, 2010 at 3:12 pm | Reply
  21. Marcy

It all depends. One day it could be a half tuna sub from Subway, a wrap across the street, a hamburger from the dive down the block or perhaps a salad from the grocery store. Some days I even go home and eat whatever was left over from the night before. It is all about what I want that day and if I want to venture out. I almost forgot...Taco Tuesdays at Tijana Flats. Yum.

September 8, 2010 at 3:11 pm | Reply
  22. workingmom40

I pack lunch for my whole family each morning. I love it! I enjoy shopping for different foods and treats to include in our lunch. I try to pack as much as I can in re-usable containers and I also love sending a thermos of hot food for my son. I need to get more fancy with sandwiches – maybe make wraps – haven't got there yet. I make several different kinds of homemade cookies. Everyone gets a water bottle and my son gets a juice or milk box. However, don't ask me what's for dinner...:)

September 8, 2010 at 3:10 pm | Reply
    • Jdizzle McHammerpants

I want to marry you.

September 8, 2010 at 6:15 pm | Reply
    • Jeannette

You should buy some bento boxes! I get mine off ebay b/c I don't live near any Asian markets that sell them and Ichiban Kan's online store closed last year so they an be kind of pricey, but everything is reusable and super cute! The accessories you can buy are awesome, too. If you'd rather not get a bento box per se, but like the idea of something like it, you can get a "laptop lunch" box. Same kind of idea, only flat, not stacked. :) There are also tons of blogs all about bentos (lunch in a box is my favorite one) and FLICKR groups showing bento lunches. :)

September 9, 2010 at 1:06 pm | Reply
      • Truth

My wife is Asian. I think I am going to be buried in a bento box when i die.

September 9, 2010 at 1:44 pm | Reply
  23. jessy

Hey I have a great idea...why don't we attack people on what they have for lunch. Geez who gives a care if someone wants to eat a can of soup, ramen noodes, a hand full of nuts or a greasy burger. So what if someone goes out to eat lunch every day or brings their own. For some people the eating out has very little to do with eating and more with just getting out of the office. I mean..come on!! And Ms. Megan you may not mean to but you are coming across so holier than thou with your salad and half tuna sandwich and oh my goodness lets not forget 15 grain, not 12 or 10 but 15 grain bread. Give it a rest already.

September 8, 2010 at 3:06 pm | Reply
    • megan

At the risk of sounding like a 5 year old, shut up. Seriously, just shut the hell up. This is a comment board for people to post whatever they want. In fact, I actually find it quite entertaining that you think I am wrong for commenting about what people eat, but you think you are right for commenting about what people post. Hypocrital much?

And, sorry, but I DO have a superior diet to the crap that is being posted here. This is precisely why I haven't been sick in over 6 years and have an amazing, toned body. You should try it sometime.

September 8, 2010 at 3:53 pm | Reply
      • eae05

Apparently your "superior" diet doesn't help you proofread.

September 8, 2010 at 4:12 pm | Reply
      • Wow

If you're so much better, you probably shouldn't be wasting your time here with us losers. I mean, clearly you're superior in every way to all of us. So it's probably best you don't mix in company with us inferior beings, lest we pull you down.

September 8, 2010 at 4:14 pm | Reply
      • megan

I said I ate a superior diet to what people are posting here, which is true based on these posts and current information put out by various sources like the American Heart Association, for instance. That is just fact, not me being perched on a high-horse like you suggest. Additionally, I did not say I was a talented editor, nor did I say I was superior to anyone. I think you both should spend a little less time looking for a fight and just stick to the topic at hand.

September 8, 2010 at 4:24 pm | Reply
      • deathbydonuts

loser

September 8, 2010 at 4:48 pm | Reply
      • Sara

You can't necessarily tell how healthy someone is by what they eat for lunch. You would be able to get a better idea by what they eat each week, perhaps. Today for lunch I had a frozen meal, warmed in the microwave. It has 25% of my daily allotment of fat and 32% of my daily allotment of sodium. Breakfast was a few slices of turkey bacon and some yogurt. For dinner, I'm going to try my hand at pad thai.

Granted, many lunch options aren't healthy, and I consider myself fortunate that my tastes tend toward healthier options. However, it's only one meal in the day. My morning coffee is probably the biggest offender in my diet. :)

September 8, 2010 at 5:04 pm | Reply
      • megan

Sarah, turkey bacon and yogurt (both animals products) are highly acid forming on the body. Excess acid in the body is linked to just about every disease on the planet. So while you think you are eating healthy by having yogurt and substituting turkey for pork, you really aren't. HealthIER, yes. Healthy, not really. I would urge everyone to read the book The pH Solution, as it really delves into healthy/unhealthy options more than any other book I've read (which, contrary to some of your opinions, is actually quite a few).

Not trying to pick apart your diet – it sounds like you are trying to make wise choices – but I just don't think the average American knows what's good for them and why the bad stuff is bad. Doing some research will help. After all, isn't yoour body the most important thing you possess? Why would you want to fill it with anything less than the best?

September 8, 2010 at 5:16 pm | Reply
      • Leah (TXanimal)

You're choosing your diet based on opinions formed by your own research and what works for *YOUR* body. I generally don't eat bread at all, no matter how "healthy" it's supposed to be, and I only eat fruit as a sweet treat. I eat a high-protein, moderate-fat, low(ish) starchy carb diet...because that's what works for *me*. I could find 10 things I "disagree" with about your "superior" diet, but that's not for me to say...you and I have different fitness goals, different lifestyles and different opinions. I have been sick once in the last 6 years, and seeing as how I'm a nationally ranked athlete in 2 sports, I can guarantee MY body is "amazing" and "toned". Different strokes for different folks.

September 9, 2010 at 11:38 am | Reply
  24. Simon Birch

Trader Joe's for lunch all the time. Best deal and great food.

September 8, 2010 at 2:51 pm | Reply
  25. laura

I usually eat a healthy choice or something like that, whatever is on sale that week at the store.

September 8, 2010 at 2:47 pm | Reply
    • eae05

Amen to that, whatever is on sale. Healthy choices are pretty cheap though, and the variety is decent.

September 8, 2010 at 4:09 pm | Reply
  26. megan

I have salad every single day for lunch. If I'm super hungry, I will also have 1/2 a tuna salad sandwich on 15 grain bread or a piece of whole fruit. I usually treat myself to lunch on Friday, though, and that typically consists of a salad/sandwich/wrap from a nearby restaurant.

September 8, 2010 at 2:10 pm | Reply
  27. wendy

most of the time i take advantage of our in-house cafeteria. a chicken salad sandwich on whole wheat toasted bread, handful of carrots, bag of pretzels, and my diet coke – all for $6 and i'm set. when i'm feeling esp bored i live close enough that i can escape home to play with my two weimaraners for an hour...heaven!

September 8, 2010 at 2:04 pm | Reply
  28. dont care about anyone but myself

I usually spend about a quarter of my paycheck at fast food joints or restaurants. I buy groceries and make the rest of my family only eat from what is bought from the grocery store. But I make sure to eat out every lunch so my co-workers think I have money and I also like to be seen in public places. My poor kids are failing in school because I'm not a great parent and I don't buy them clothes very often because there is not a lot of extra money and they get picked on all the time. So I spend many days stressed about how I'm going to change my parenting. To relieve my stress, I go out and buy a #1 at any fast food chain.

September 8, 2010 at 2:00 pm | Reply
    • Bwahaha

Thus follows heated but misguided moral outrage. Brilliant!

September 8, 2010 at 2:10 pm | Reply
    • megan

Actually, I'd say you spend your days thinking up stupid sh*t to post on the internet.

September 8, 2010 at 2:12 pm | Reply
    • Truth

And let me guess, you voted for Obama, right?

September 8, 2010 at 2:22 pm | Reply
      • Bwa haha

Apparently the word "mis appropriation" (no space) is banned. Too bad. I had a clever quip about your reply I'm sure you'd have appreciated. Ah well.

September 8, 2010 at 2:45 pm | Reply
  29. Susan

I eat light lunches...mostly fruit or smoothies at my desk except for Fridays when the entire office orders in and I get a BIG Greek salad no dressing.

September 8, 2010 at 1:48 pm | Reply
  30. Gordon Gekko

You got to be kidding me, lunch is for wimps!

September 8, 2010 at 1:46 pm | Reply
  31. jillmarie

I usually have a healthy frozen entree, baby carrots with low-fat dip, and either a cup of broth or a piece of fruit. Saves money not going out to lunch.

September 8, 2010 at 1:32 pm | Reply
  32. Ann

I pack a healthy nutritious lunch, and then ignore it and go out for fast food after grabbing a handful of candy from the candy bowl.

September 8, 2010 at 1:28 pm | Reply
    • Bwahaha

There was a time I did this, too. Before I stopped eating lunch.

At least the intention is there.

September 8, 2010 at 1:39 pm | Reply
  33. asmaria

Can of soup. Cheapest and easiest and healthiest to make, and I'm too lazy for anything else.

September 8, 2010 at 1:23 pm | Reply
    • Jdizzle McHammerpants

Giant amounts of sodium, usually. But I do this, too.

September 8, 2010 at 1:27 pm | Reply
    • Truth

I've been known to do the same thing, since it is easy. I also keep cereal, bagels and ramen in my credenza since I often come in by 6 and eat at odd hours. Since my wife is Asian, I also seem to have rice on hand, which goes with pretty much anything. English muffins and peanut butter also makes a pretty good snack.

September 8, 2010 at 1:30 pm | Reply
    • megan

Have you ever read the ingredients in a can of soup? I can't stop laughing that you said this is your healthiest lunch option. No wonder so many people are fat and unhealthy – people in this country have no clue what is and is not good for them. Try a salad if you're looking for healthy, maria, your blood pressure will thank you.

September 8, 2010 at 2:07 pm | Reply
      • Bwahaha

Actually salads aren't much better, unless you're going to eat a garden salad with no dressing. Some salads can contain your whole day's calories and high quantities of sodium. If you like salads, they're a good way to go, but unless you really know how many calories and how much sodium is in those cheeses, bacon bits, meats, croutons, and dressings, you're not always doing much better than a hamburger. Sometimes the hamburger is healthier.

Canned soups may be high in sodium, but you can get low sodium and healthy options if you choose carefully. And they sometimes have other properties that make them healthier. There's a reason people eat chicken soup when they are sick. Homemade soup can be even better.

September 8, 2010 at 2:15 pm | Reply
      • megan

bwahahaha, you're right – when you take a healthy salad and add a bunch of crap to it, then it isn't healthy anymore. But that goes for sandwiches, soup, quiche, casserole, whatever. I am talking about SALAD – ya know, the green stuff with vegetables in it, not a big bowl of fattening garbage with dressing on top – that isn't a salad in my book.

Personally, I usually have mixed greens, tomato, cucumber, avocado and sun flower kernals with fat free balsamic dresssing. The only thing in the salad with an ounce of fat is avovado, which is excellent for you. It CAN be done, people just need to learn to enjoy vegetables instead of covering them up with a bunch of fattening goodies or dressings.

September 8, 2010 at 3:47 pm | Reply
      • Bwahaha

@megan Personally, lettuce is on the bottom of my food list. Very few lettuces have very much nutrition. To me, they don't really taste good, either. It's not a matter of getting used to eating healthy vegetables. I eat lots of vegetables. But salads, with or without extras, are not my cup of tea. Good thing there are a LOT of healthy options out there, isn't it?

September 8, 2010 at 4:10 pm | Reply
      • megan

Actually, greens are one of the best sources of many good things, like fiber and vitamins and calcium. But that's cool that you don't like them – as long as you're eating other veggies, you probably are getting what you need.

September 8, 2010 at 4:20 pm | Reply
      • amy

i eat cans of soup regularly. if you choose wisely and look at the nutrition information on the back, it really isn't that bad for you. they make low sodium/low fat versions for a reason. you just sound like a snobby jerk.

September 8, 2010 at 6:33 pm | Reply
  34. Selina Grace

I work in a small business. I don't get to close for lunch, so we bring an orange apiece and an apple. We have a snack guy who delivers, so I also have a bag of mixed nuts that I grab a handful of if I'm hungry in the afternoon.

September 8, 2010 at 1:19 pm | Reply
  35. ronaldo

I go out to eat lunch with a coworker at places where you can get something for under $10, if we cant go together I go out and get something cheap and bring it back, I almost never bring my lunch

September 8, 2010 at 1:11 pm | Reply
    • Hungry in TN

Thanks for keeping our economy afloat. Feel sorry for your kids who need new clothes.

September 8, 2010 at 1:52 pm | Reply
      • Observer

What is to say that Ronaldo cannot afford both?
        Not everyone is lazy and uneducated like you.

September 8, 2010 at 2:20 pm | Reply
      • laura

Whats ur deal? maybe your boy can afford to do both...maybe he is a lawyer, CEO, Doctor, etc. btw how do you even know he has kids? Judgemental much?????

September 8, 2010 at 2:55 pm | Reply
      • BG

@Hungry: It's ridiculous to assume that eating out is irresponsible. It's a matter of budgeting and priorities. I shop at discount stores where I buy last season's brand name clothes at cut rate prices and I drive a used car instead of a new one. I save money in these areas because the older items make me just as happy as new. But eating in a restaurant makes me much happier than bringing a bag lunch, so I spend more there.

September 8, 2010 at 8:07 pm | Reply
  36. Kevin Lewitzke

If I'm closing I sleep through lunch.

September 8, 2010 at 1:10 pm | Reply
  37. they live to eat

it is absolutely amazing how much focus people put on food. i'd grab whatever's available if i get hungry (and skip meals if i'm not). some co-workers worry all day trying to figure out where they should go for lunch (really? is it that important to you?). then after lunch, they worry about what they're going to eat for dinner until work ends. i really can't understand people who wait in incredibly long lines to get food. i guess they live to eat.

September 8, 2010 at 1:06 pm | Reply
    • yathink

Yeah that's what humans do, we live to eat. Food is our fuel. People should be concerned about what they are putting in their bodies. And we should be thankful we even have a next meal available.

September 8, 2010 at 1:15 pm | Reply
      • they live to eat

well exactly. we should be eating to live, not the other way around. it is our fuel, but it has become a major component of why we live. and then we wonder why half the country iver overweight.

September 8, 2010 at 2:08 pm | Reply
    • me

I don't worry about breakfast or lunch – because I'm on my own... but I do stress about dinner. That's the one meal my hubby and I eat together, so I want it to be either something good, yet fast (on the week days), or something that takes hours to make (weekends). I wouldn't say I "live to eat" though.

September 8, 2010 at 1:16 pm | Reply
    • choco

if you don't eat, you don't live

September 8, 2010 at 2:55 pm | Reply
    • Kate

Must be nice to skip a meal if you want to. If I don't eat on a regular basis, my stomach hammers me. I cannot concentrate on anything except to find what it wants and shut it up.

September 8, 2010 at 4:43 pm | Reply
  38. me

I can't remember the last time I didn't take a working lunch – or breakfast for that matter.

Breakfast is usually the 2nd travel mug of coffee, and some dry mini-wheats – right out of the box.
    Lungh – what ever is left at the cafeteria when I get down there..... Both at my desk while working.

September 8, 2010 at 1:03 pm | Reply
  39. Charlotte

I usually will stop at a supermarket on my way to work and pick up a bag of salad greens, a couple of pieces of fruit, some diet soda. I open and eat these, or I pick up a package of frozen brussels sprouts and nuke them for my lunch. I always have large numbers of carrots in the car (for my horse) so I will grab a few of those as well and bring in to the office. Always eat at my desk, who has time to actually go eat lunch elsewhere? A wasted hour that would mean getting home to feed the animals at least an hour later in the evening.

September 8, 2010 at 12:56 pm | Reply
  40. Truth

I pack conservatively, in air-tight resealable containers, but always bring liberal portions, in case a co-worker is hungry and needs me to share.

Thought I would get that in there...;)

September 8, 2010 at 12:51 pm | Reply
    • Jdizzle McHammerpants

X)

September 8, 2010 at 12:56 pm | Reply
    • Jdizzle McHammerpants

Sometimes I wonder how long it takes for you to come up with some of these.

September 8, 2010 at 12:57 pm | Reply
      • Truth

I have a friend who is VERY far right, who I like to harass about how he must never wash his hair since most shampoo bottles instruct to "apply liberally"...;)

September 8, 2010 at 1:34 pm | Reply
    • Leah (TXanimal)

LOL. OK Truth, you got me on that one ;)

September 8, 2010 at 3:06 pm | Reply
    • Kat Kinsman

Golf clap, Truth. Well done.

September 8, 2010 at 6:34 pm | Reply
    • Tracy

Truth, your friend should never look at a bottle of Dr. Bronner's castile soap. It can be used for just about every cleaning need (soap, shampoo, conditioner, detergent, etc.) but the information on the bottle would make his head explode. ; )

Your posts are one of the highlights of my day. Our firewall at the office blocks anything remotely resembling a blog so I can only read this at home, and yours is one of the names I always look forward to seeing.

September 8, 2010 at 9:24 pm | Reply
      • Truth

TY, TY !

September 9, 2010 at 8:48 am | Reply
  41. Evil Grin

I never eat lunch at work. I've tried, but it's hard for me. I tend to eat an early breakfast and then eat dinner after work. But when I do eat lunch, it's usually something I've brought. Most often, since I eat unconventional dinner foods for breakfast, I just make a little extra breakfast and bring part of it to work with me.

Sometimes a client takes me out to lunch. That's basically the only time I eat lunch out.

September 8, 2010 at 12:34 pm | Reply
  42. Jdizzle McHammerpants

And many people assume that since I work at a bank (the guy that opens your accounts, CD's, car and home equity loans) and wear a tie and dress nicely, that I have a lot of money. BWAHAHAHA. I get paid by the hour, and after taxes, insurance, 401(k) contributions, and child support, I take home about what I could make at a gas station. Of course, I wouldn't have the benefits if I worked at the Shell station.

September 8, 2010 at 12:31 pm | Reply