September 7th, 2010

Says one patron, "You can't help if your kids scream." Says Brenda Armes, owner of Olde Salty's, of her "no screaming kids" policy, "If they find it offending, I suggest they find another restaurant to eat at."

Over 1,900 of you had something to say on the issue of kids in upper echelon restaurants when we addressed the topic a few months back. Wanna sound off on this restaurant's policy? Share your thoughts below and we may include them in an upcoming post.

Get more from WECT

Posted by:
Filed under: Kids in Restaurants • Restaurants

1. atlanta1965

restaurants should all have a policy that screaming or uncontrolled children must leave immediately. But this should not just apply to restaurants. This should apply to shopping malls, theaters, concerts, offices, parks and any public place where parents do no control their children at all times. If the parent cannot manage basic control of their kids, they should either not have kids or stay home till the kid turns 18. People out for a nice evening should not have to endure loud uncontrolled children for any reason. I applaud business who ask them to leave. Screaming and uncontrolled children should NEVER be taken on a plane. This is a very bad place to have to listen to children out of control. Those of you with children who teach you kids how to behave – this does not apply to you. Parents who think when they go out that servers and others should babysit for free need to get a life.

June 24, 2014 at 8:10 pm | Reply
  2. dalesittonrogers

I just had lunch at a restaurant my husband & I have frequented for years. We always sit in the bar area to try to avoid small children, who almost never behave. Today, as happens occasionally, unfortunately, a mother with children decided the bar area was perfect for her three very small children. I knew it would be pandemonium before they even settled at a table. The loud voices were already there. My food had just arrived, but I grabbed my plates & glass & headed into the empty groups room adjacent to the bar. It was dark with no music, but I prefer that to the screaming & wandering going on in the dining room. Much to my chagrin, I could still hear the bedlam, & one of the tykes even tried to come into the room I was in. My poor husband decided to tough it out, but he later said it was rough. There was no reason for the woman to bring those kids into a decent restaurant such as Logan's. She could have gone to a fast-food place, which the kids would've preferred. That would be bad enough. At one time people were considerate & never subjected other patrons to their families' noise. It's ridiculous that most just sit by & act like everything's okay. It's not. If an adult caused as much trouble as kids do in restaurants, they'd be kicked out. If anyone says, "That's the way kids are," that's all the more proof that they should not be brought into restaurants. There should be a few designated for kids, & they should never go into any other restaurants unless they are at least twelve and well-behaved. Parents are the ones who are supposed to sacrifice for their kids–not other people! Parents-=-BE RESPONSIBLE!! BE CONSIDERATE!! Or don't even go to a restaurant or other place of business yourselves!! The bar area is the last place a child needs to be. There should be a law against it. There probably is.

April 28, 2014 at 2:12 pm | Reply
  3. Cillabearz

I agree that restaurants should have some kind of restriction regarding unruly children. it's not fair to those of us who work so much that eating out once in a blue moon becomes an exotic luxury. I understand that some children have medical conditions that may make them susceptable to random outbursts. However, the parent should have a good gauge on the child's behavior and when said child would become prone to such erratic behavior that others may find bothersome or disrespectful. Knowing your child is the best way to prevent such conflicts and avoid glaring eyes or unwanted comments from fellow diners. My parents didn't take me or my 3 brothers out to dine with them until we each hit age 6 and we were raised by a no-nonsense mother. She was gentle and loving when we needed, and assertive with the discipline when we had done wrong. She made it very clear to us what was wrong and what was right and that if we acted out ANYWHERE in public, restaurant or not, she would have our butts next opportunity she got!! We learned VERY fast what was appropriate and what was not. So of course i would expect parents to take some kind of action when their child is exuding disruptive behavior. Once i went to my favorite pizza joint and this table of two young ladies and 2 small children were next to ours. All was well until the youngest child started screaming and of course being next to their table my ears were ringing. Several minutes went by and the mother of the screaming child did NOTHING to pacify the child. I had given her AMPLE time to get it under control considering how extremely close in proximity i was to them. Finally i looked at her with an "are you going to do something about the child you've neglected for the past 19 minutes" look and she cut her eyes at me. I shook my head and said how ridiculous it was and talked to the manager about it. Turns out 3 other tables had complained too and i was the last straw so he asked both women and their children to leave. It would've been WAY different had they done something to calm the child that was screaming but they just sat there stuffing their fat cellulite ridden bodies like they couldn't hear a thing. Bottom line if you can't control your kid(s) or do not have efficient methods to calming an outburst, don't take them with you. The last thing i want is to go back to work with a harrowing dining experience to tell.

October 14, 2013 at 5:14 pm | Reply
  4. Hannah

I try not to judge when I see a kid screaming. Maybe the kid isn't trying to be brat, but instead has autism? For a child with autism, sometimes the world gets too overstimulating and screaming is the only way they can attempt to communicate what they're feeling.

September 4, 2013 at 7:04 pm | Reply
    • Ariana

I agree. Some people are so rude and do not think that there may be something else going on, they just automatically assume the child is not being raised correctly. I think the owner of Old Salty's is ignorant to have a policy like that. And for her comment on the parents should find another place to eat, not only would I find another place to eat, but I would make sure that none of my family or friends ever went to that restaurant to eat, AND that they passed that same ideal to their friends and family as well. Simply I would do everything in my power to make sure the person with such a unbelievable policy such as this, would not be able to continue running this business due to lack of customers. It is pretty sad that people could be that ignorant and I don't think someone who discriminates against families with "screaming children" should be allowed to run a business. I mean in what kind of a world do we live in that a person turns down business because of screaming children. Every child screams, even the most respectful well-raised children have moments of being upset. I am a mother to 2 children, both of which are well-behaved kids, my daughter who will be 8 (my youngest) is very respectful and knows that a temper tantrum will not get her anywhere. She is not a child who has ever been a bratty spoiled rotten child and she has known since a toddler that behavior like that is not acceptable, however, she gets very sick at times and has had episodes in public places, not because she was being bratty, but because she was trying to tell me that there was something wrong and she could not breathe. If someone were to dare say something to me when my daughter was crying I would probably flip on them. Kids communicate the best way they know how, and in some circumstances children need to cry or scream for their needs to be met, it is normal people. Ignorance is not bliss and if someone were to discriminate against my child or me, and say ask me to leave, I would get a lawyer involved. I think people tend to forget that discrimination is illegal and a person can sue based on a discriminatory act such ask being kicked out of a public place because of a screaming child. Is it worth losing your business because you don't want to hear it? As for the comment made by 121212121212 if you want to hear screaming children you would go to Chuck E Cheese, I pray that a screaming child moves in next door to you and keeps you up all night you fucking asshole!!!! By the way, it is an ugly act to react to a child in need in such a horrible and offensive way and you deserve to rott in hell, in fact im sure you already have a first class ticket waiting on your hopefully dreadfully painful death!!

September 5, 2013 at 4:45 pm | Reply
      • Biz owner

I am a business owner and it is my right to refuse service to anyone I choose as long as they are not in a group protected by the law. Screaming children are not protected by the law. Of course, it is your right to not patronize any establishment that refuses screaming children. See how that works? Everyone exercises their rights!

September 21, 2013 at 3:10 am | Reply
        • Withers

Biz Owner, while you are within your rights to refuse service, don't be ignorant. A screaming child with autism or another disorder as explained by Ariana is most certainly protected by the law. Have a little compassion. For that matter any child who isn't of age to communicate their feelings may use screaming/crying to do so. If my husband and I are at a restaurant of any caliber and our child has a fit one of us always excuses ourselves to attend to our child. She is only 15 months. We also only dine out during hours appropriate to her schedule, so you won't see us out at 8, 9, 10pm with our little one crying her eyes out because she is sleepy and we are too selfish or self involved to care for her needs first. So I understand that as well. As stated previously, this is more of an issue about parenting and manners. Although, personally having a restaurant that does not allow children in (at all) does not promote 'family' and will find that many adults even on date night will NOT frequent those areas.

September 24, 2013 at 6:59 am |
        • Chris

What about the rights of the people who don't want to hear screaming children? A mother and father finally have gotten a babysitter and go out for a nice diner together, alone for the first time in months and they have to deal with someone else's screaming children... Not every screaming child has autism, a lot of them just don't have any home training to know how to act in public. A lot of them run around and act like little monsters and the rest of us have our diners and whatever enjoyment disturbed, what about our rights? Maybe if more people actually spent time with their children and taught them how to act like respectful human beings there wouldn't be rules like this.

October 3, 2013 at 1:22 pm |