August 31st, 2010

Nine generations of Lairds have had a hand in crafting the family's signature spirit, but the company couldn't survive for 200 years on apple jack brandy alone.

See how the family weathered Prohibition (who doesn't love a "medicinal" dispensation?) and the disco era to become one of America's most enduring brands.

CNN Money has the FULL VIDEO

We like ours in a Jack Rose cocktail. It picks up a pink tint from a dollop of grenadine, but make no mistake - this rose packs a thorny sting.

Jack Rose

2 oz applejack brandy
1 oz lime juice
1/2 oz grenadine

Shake all ingredients with ice and strain into a chilled cocktail glass. Garnish with a lime slice or wedge

Posted by:
Filed under: Business and Farming News • Cocktail Recipes • News • Sip • Small Business • Spirits

1. PEllen

I have drunk AppleJack for a while.
    Try this

Pelly's Poison

Use an old fashioned glass or 500ml bistro tumbler
    1 oz AppleJack; add
    1/2 to 1 oz Appletini mix, nonalcoholic, to taste (I use Rose's brand in the wavy bottle); then
    Fill glass with cold club soda

September 1, 2010 at 3:55 pm | Reply
  2. Imbibe Hour

Make sure to use good quality grenadine made from true pomegranates as it should be.

Also a great Laird drink is a Stone Fence, great Fall cocktail.

Cheers!

September 1, 2010 at 12:39 pm | Reply
  3. Rosemarie Tenney

I first had one of these in my early 20's and still like them! It's hard to find a good bartender who even knows what a Jack Rose is but maybe now that will change. Hope so! And the Apple Jack Manhattan sounds good, I'll have to try one.

September 1, 2010 at 10:34 am | Reply
  4. Lew

Better yet: make an Apple Jack Manhattan. Same as a normal Manhattan but using Apple Jack instead of whiskey.

YUM!

August 31, 2010 at 2:22 pm | Reply
  5. Truth

Jizz, a hangover on a Tuesday???
    You libs really need to tone down the wild living.

August 31, 2010 at 12:08 pm | Reply
    • Jdizzle McHammerpants

Yeah, why not? Actually, no hangover. That only happens when I don't eat. Have had nothing better to do lately than sit in the hotel, drink booze, eat pizza, and play Madden 2011. Small town with nothing to do. Fortunately, going home today.

August 31, 2010 at 12:15 pm | Reply
      • Truth

Jizz – What on Earth do you do for a living???

August 31, 2010 at 4:07 pm | Reply
      • Jdizzle McHammerpants

I work for a bank, but they sent me to fill in at another location for several weeks. It was a small town with VERY little activity. Back in the city now, so life resumes. =)

September 1, 2010 at 10:31 am | Reply
  6. Anon_e_mouse

One of these days I'll have to try Laird's... not being much of a drinker at all, I probably haven't had apple jack since my grandfather passed away nearly 30 years ago, but I've driven past the Laird's distillery many times (I've lived less than ten miles away for the past 15 years) and have often wondered about it.

August 31, 2010 at 11:01 am | Reply
  7. Jdizzle McHammerpants

Oh, God. Talking about booze at 9:45 AM? You don't appreciate my hangover, CNN.

August 31, 2010 at 10:06 am | Reply
    • Kat Kinsman

And just think - for the west coast, it was 6:45. We're mean like that.

August 31, 2010 at 11:49 am | Reply
      • Jdizzle McHammerpants

Had me tricked (trix'd?). Thought you were referring to the cereal.

August 31, 2010 at 11:55 am | Reply