August 30th, 2010

Rodents, piles of manure, uncaged birds and flies too numerous to count were found by investigators at Iowa farms at the heart of the recall of more than half a billion eggs, the Food and Drug Administration reported Monday.

Inspection reports released by the FDA noted numerous violations at six farms operated by Wright County Egg and Quality Egg, which are owned by the same family, and three Hillandale Farms locations.

The inspections - conducted in August, after new egg safety rules went into effect - were launched in response to the nationwide outbreaks of salmonella that have sickened an estimated 1,470 people, according to the FDA.

CNN Health has the FULL STORY

See all egg recall information on Eatocracy and full coverage on CNN Health

Posted by:
Filed under: Animal Rights • Business and Farming News • Eggs • Farms • FDA • Food Politics • Health News • News • Recalls • Tainted Food

1. RichardHead

Mornin'-I have hauled alot of Boxed Beef and even swinging Beef. The most unusual was from a plant in Iowa where I picked up a CHUB.It is a 4 or 5 ft round cardboard vat lined with plastic sheeting and filled to the top with huge chunks of cut beef.Even though the plastic sheeting hung over the sides of this vat,no attempt was made to cover the beef. Instructions for transport-Keep it at 42 degrees and get it to HEB in San Antonio asap. Needless to say I don't buy beef from HEB. Makes you wonder where are the Inspectors?

August 31, 2010 at 10:11 am |
    • Jdizzle McHammerpants

Word. Hi, Head. Gonna be a short day for me. Headed home!! Woohoo! Been here since July 12. You probably won't see me on here as much as my branch is actually busy compared to this one. =(

August 31, 2010 at 10:24 am |
      • RichardHead

Well be careful and have a safe trip. Where is home? I'll yell at ya if I see a post. Kat is having a huge sigh of releif right about now.lol. Take care.

August 31, 2010 at 10:38 am |
      • Jdizzle McHammerpants

Eau Claire, WI. In the Michigan UP right now. Yeah, they blocked a few of my posts over the past few weeks. Funny ones, too. At least I thought. One yesterday, guess I'm insensitive to the homeless. =(

August 31, 2010 at 10:42 am |
  2. Alicia

I agree with Jdizzle.
    Plus, the guy who reported on CNN this morning was acting like a little girl talking about the "problems" with these farms. I wonder has he ever been to a farm? I live in middle Michigan and there's plenty of poop, flies, and birds on all our local farms.

August 31, 2010 at 10:07 am |
  3. Jdizzle McHammerpants

While I note the violations, we as consumers are pretty sheltered as to how some processes occur. Go to just about any farm, dairy processing plants, and slaughterhouse and the average Joe would become a vegan after what they see.

August 31, 2010 at 8:31 am |
Pinterest

| Part of

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 7,041 other followers