Blogger Spotlight: Cannelle et Vanille
August 30th, 2010

Every so often, we're highlighting a local or regional blogger we think you ought to know about. We can’t be everywhere at once, so we look to these passionate eaters, cooks and writers to keep us tapped into every facet of the food world. Consider this a way to get to know a blog’s taste buds, because, well, you should.

Meet today's featured blogger and blog:
Who: Aran Goyoaga, of Cannelle et Vanille
Where: Florida
Twitter: @CannelleVanille

I grew up in the Basque Country surrounded by the Pyrenees on one side and the Gulf of Biscay on the other. My grandparents owned a pastry shop, which was always the gathering point of our large family. That’s where we would go after school every day to enjoy freshly baked brioche. That’s where we spent all of our time on the weekends. Every morning, I watched my grandmother pasteurize the milk that was delivered from the milk farm only a couple of miles away. That closeness to nature and the craft of pastry have really helped to define who I am today.

I have always had a need to create, but I didn’t know how to channel it. I learned to cook at a young age watching my mother and grandmother make Spanish tortilla and patatas en salsa verde, but I never knew that would end up being my way of life.

I went to university and received a business and economics degree, but I soon learned that was not the career for me. In 1998, I moved to the United States and soon after, I enrolled in culinary school to pursue my passion for pastry. While attending school, I worked in several fine-dining restaurants and finally landed my dream job at the Ritz-Carlton in Palm Beach where I learned from the best.

I loved my job, but when I become a mother, I decided to take some time off from professional kitchens. In 2008, I started Cannelle Et Vanille as a way to keep a journal of my cooking and baking musings at home. I perfected my macaron recipes and experimented with roasted plums and coconut milk risotto. I realized then my passion for styling and photography, and slowly my career turned that way. Since then, I have been working as a freelance food writer, stylist and photographer.

I am a mother of two small children. Having them in my life has put me back in a place where I appreciate simplicity and seasonality once again, just like I grew up.

Do you read a local blog that you'd like to see featured? Send 'em our way for a chance in the spotlight.

Posted by:
Filed under: Blog Spotlight • Blogs • Think

1. Private personal training

I loved your Cranberry and pistachio bundt cake. Keep doing what you love.

January 28, 2014 at 12:11 pm | Reply
  2. parisbreakfast

Aran's blog is one of the most exquisite on the web.
    She deserves every acolade she receives and more.
    merci
    carolg

September 12, 2010 at 12:16 pm | Reply
  3. Jamie

I have had the pleasure of spending a day and sharing a lunch with Aran and her two wonderful children and more than her stunning photography and mouthwatering pastries, what i love about her is that she is sweet and humble and generous and truly down to earth. I learned so much from her in that one afternoon, about how to be patience and getting one's priorities in order. She is a gem!

September 7, 2010 at 8:11 am | Reply
  4. tasteofbeirut

Love her blog and her photos.

September 7, 2010 at 12:19 am | Reply
  5. Angela KL

i love her blog, her work & photograhs.. I have been following her blog for nearly 2 years now I think. She has great style and comes across very passionate and sincere. Cheers Aran!

September 5, 2010 at 8:38 am | Reply
  6. marciante

Creative styling and stunning photography!

September 3, 2010 at 5:58 pm | Reply
  7. karina

I have never tasted her food but my eyes are delighted every time I see her pics.I adore her work.

August 31, 2010 at 10:09 am | Reply
  8. Jessica @ How Sweet

Her photography is fabulous!

August 31, 2010 at 7:17 am | Reply
  9. bridget {bake at 350}

Aran's blog has always been one of my favorites and it was one of the first food blogs I ever read. Her food and photographs are always stunning!

August 31, 2010 at 7:11 am | Reply