August 23rd, 2010

Why yes, you *are* sensing a theme today. We dig backyard chickens in a big way.

See all egg recall information on Eatocracy and full coverage on CNN Health

Posted by:
Filed under: Backyard Chickens • Eggs • Local Food • News

1. Frank

Funny how cities, and neighbors, like to play "green" until someone starts to implement real, practical, environmentally friendly solutions that date back thousands of years. Hypocrites! I'm thankful my city allows chickens, and gardens, I do both.

August 25, 2010 at 5:36 pm | Reply
  2. Liz

Some cities like San Jose in California allow hens but not roosters for obviouis reasons. My sister and brother-in-law have bantams so the hens are small and not such loud cluckers. They live in the middle of San Jose.

August 25, 2010 at 4:11 am | Reply
  3. Ron

Buck, buck, buck!!

August 24, 2010 at 11:23 pm | Reply
  4. Flora

I've been thinking about doing this myself, if I ever happen to have the space. I've heard that they're pretty cheap and easy to raise, plus you get free eggs, minus the salmonella. The only thing is, roosters tend to confuse streetlights for the sun, so they usually start cock-a-doodle-ing well before dawn (the ones in my neighborhood start at 3 & 4 a.m.!). You just might have to end up giving a few of those eggs to the neighbors for putting up with the noise... But, other than that, I've heard nothing about good things about this.

(Hint; if you want to do this, try moving to the south and/or a less densely populated area. It's the big, crowded cities that tend to mind because of peace and sanitation concerns.)

August 24, 2010 at 8:04 pm | Reply
    • Flora

Sorry, I meant "nothing but good things".

August 24, 2010 at 8:05 pm | Reply
    • Cindy

Flora, I live in the South. Oh, and by the way, you don't have to have a rooster to have eggs, so if you're concerned about the noise, just keep hens.

August 24, 2010 at 8:30 pm | Reply
    • WVOIFVET

Roosters start crowing thta early to begin with.... yes the lights will confuse them but I live in the country and have chickens, so your neighbors are not confused too much! Also, many sounds will either startle them or claim their territory, hence they will crow.

August 25, 2010 at 6:45 am | Reply
  5. Cindy

Brooklyn, *Brooklyn* fercryinoutloud! I've got five acres of land where I live and *I'm* not allowed to have chickens :-(!

August 24, 2010 at 4:42 pm | Reply
  6. pk

this is very cool, but saying the family is getting organic eggs is a bit of a stretch – I doubt that corn flakes (at least that's what it looked like he poured into the tin pan towards the end) and thai food fall into the category of "organic feed" for the chckens. Regardless, it's great what this family is doing.

August 24, 2010 at 2:14 pm | Reply
  7. LP

Transcript, please. I'd like to read about this, not watch it. Thanks.

August 24, 2010 at 1:46 pm | Reply
  8. Nice.

I wish that I could have some chickens in my yard. Unfortunately, I live within city limits which prohibit chickens. Too bad, though. We've got a great yard for it.

August 24, 2010 at 12:22 pm | Reply