August 20th, 2010

1. john newson

sixdegrees not true ....one can buy 100% Salmonella free chickens marked as such in Europe

August 23, 2010 at 7:14 am |
  2. SixDegrees

"I'm glad that I only eat free range organic eggs."

Why? "Free range" simply means that chickens have access to an outside area of unspecified size; for the most part, "free range" chickens are raised in conditions indistinguishable from their non-free range counterparts, and they tend to shun going outside.

Also, being able to go outside doesn't make chickens any less susceptible to disease. Salmonella and chickens go together, always have, always will. In fact, given that rodents are a contributing vector to chicken salmonella infections, chickens living outdoors are somewhat more likely to contract it and spread it.

Eating free-range, organic eggs and chickens may make you feel better, but it isn't making the chickens involved any healthier.

August 23, 2010 at 3:03 am |
  3. Justin

I'm glad that I only eat free range organic eggs.

August 22, 2010 at 9:51 pm |
  4. Metookah

Is this egg thing a test to see how dumb average American citizens are? Really, who is smarter than a fifth grader? Do not eat cake batter because it contains raw eggs which may make you sick... Sheesh!

August 22, 2010 at 6:37 pm |
  5. mitibran

How about cooking your eggs appropriately and washing your hands? Salmonella has been and will always be in and on eggs. Why not a strong warning to COOK your eggs and don't eat raw eggs as we have been taught from a young age. This is not ecoli or mad cow disease or something that is a serious killer. There is no reason to destroy part of our food supply and increase prices over people who did not cook their food. If there is a higher than normal percentage of salmonella (normal was reported to be 1 in 20,000 eggs) then use these eggs in pasteurized products, don't destroy them.

August 22, 2010 at 10:38 am |
  6. Johnny

Where are our elected leaders? Why are they not regulating and enforcing standards? What the hell is an elected official's purpose if they choose not to protect their constituents from huge, powerful, incompetent business people, who endanger our lives? We are so scared of "terrorists" but we fail to acknowledge our home-grown enemies who could care less if we get sick and die and systematically produce food that presents a grave danger to us all. And it is not just chicken producers - It is the entire system, from the U.S. Government to the agra-businesses, all the way down the chain to the local markets that sell us this crap. Call your elected representatives and demand we be protected. Boycott the big producers and growers. Vote with your wallet.

August 21, 2010 at 5:04 pm |
  7. akindafoodblog

This egg thing has just strengthened why I like to buy local. Not only can I see the facilities that they use to house the chicken because I go straight to the source, because they produce less there's less of a chance of stuff like this happening. Also because everything is imported, it's just cheaper.

August 21, 2010 at 12:45 pm |
  8. iG

How sad what passes for journalism these days. This is a soapbox disguised as news. I'm so appalled by the methods I'm almost embarrassed to say I agree with the stance.

1) "what is being called the largest egg recall in recent history" - ok let's report, be objective. t either is or is not.
    2) Here's some appalling video of chickens being abused, which admittedly has nothing to do with the recall, yet the headline reads differently - manipulative
    3) The only news here is reported by the NY. CNN holding up a copy of the NYT? - lazy

August 21, 2010 at 10:37 am |
    • DT

Definitely horrid reportage. The points are important, this conveyer of "news" is absolutely not worth further notice. If I came into this knowing nothing ahead of time about how chickens or eggs were raised, I'd be out eating industrial eggs by the dozen. Unwashed :(

August 22, 2010 at 2:31 pm |
  9. SixDegrees

It isn't the facilities so much. Salmonella affects chickens, always has an always will, and how they're kept isn't going to eliminate it.

The real problem is a food production and distribution system that allows a single producer or distributor to spread contaminated food across the entire country in a matter of hours or days. Incidents like this are among the strongest for a boost in more localized production. If a given facility only serves a limited area, be it the Midwest or Illinois or a single county, any contamination will be limited to that region along – not the entire nation or continent.

It should trouble everyone that such a wide swath of the country is susceptible to tainted food originating from a single facility. By all means, let's work to reduce such contamination, but let's also redesign the system so the damage, when it inevitably occurs, will be more limited in scope.

August 21, 2010 at 5:26 am |
  10. DT

This Jane Velez-Mitchell sure is irritating, I suspect she's doing more harm than good in her reporting habits. (I don't watch TV so this is likely my first encounter with her. And my lack of TV viewing may well explain why I find her discomfiting... Talk to, or with me. Don't rant at me.) That being said, while all eggs and chickens are susceptible to salmonella, it is a sure bet to be a wider problem in factory farmed eggs than in free range ones. The close crowding confinement conditions at factory farms for one.

Anyhow I'm looking forward to a near future where I will be raising my own free-range birds. Whether they'll have the "organic" label will simply depend on how willing I am to indulge in paperwork.

August 20, 2010 at 11:47 pm |
    • Babs

I agree with you on how this was reported. It is disturbing and almost as if she is trying to be like Nancy Grace. Battery cages are unsafe and inhuman to animals. I don't know about you...but when they sleep and poop in the exact same spot is inhuman and the chances of that fecal matter falling into their feed is almost more likely makes it unsafe. I am glad to see more and more people taking control of their food and buying local. The consumers have been promoting change at the supermarkets with their wallets so hopefully this outbreak will drive more change down the road as well.

August 21, 2010 at 4:11 pm |