Lunchtime poll – incredible (currently not as edible) eggs
August 19th, 2010

Juuuust in case you haven't gotten a chance to crack out of your shell today, 380 million eggs have been recalled over fears of salmonella.

See all egg recall information on Eatocracy and full coverage on CNN Health

Posted by:
Filed under: Buzz • Eggs • Lunchtime Poll • Recalls

Next entry »
« Previous entry
  1. Alayna Ayola

In June 2009, the World Health Organization declared the new strain of swine-origin H1N1 as a pandemic. This strain is often called swine flu by the public media. This novel virus spread worldwide and had caused about 17,000 deaths by the start of 2010. On August 10, 2010, the World Health Organization declared the H1N1 influenza pandemic over, saying worldwide flu activity had returned to typical seasonal patterns.`-

Our blog site

May 13, 2013 at 8:02 am | Reply
  2. RabidinL.A.

I lived in Mexico for 20 years, so I can eat anything and not get sick. I ate eggs off that list and drank Ramos Fizzes (contain raw egg white) to wash them down. Not even a stomach ache...

August 27, 2010 at 7:18 am | Reply
  3. June

I'll still eat all eggs, but thoroughly cooked and carefully handled

August 26, 2010 at 6:04 pm | Reply
  4. Chicken Lady

I raise my own chickens and eat eggs all the time

August 26, 2010 at 3:48 pm | Reply
  5. Steph

We raise chickens for eggs and meat! Lots better than store bought any day! Nothing like farm fresh eggs in the morning. I like mine with the white cooked and the yolk runny. We sometimes eat eggs for lunch too. No, we don't have high cholesterol either.

August 26, 2010 at 1:23 pm | Reply
  6. LillyBear152

theyre eggs big whoop im seeing the salmonella recall for peanut butter all over again and i ate at least 2 contaminated jars of it and nothing happened to me! SO ill just keep eating my eggs thank you.

August 26, 2010 at 9:37 am | Reply
  7. dx2718

Just cook the eggs and wash your hands after cracking them! Salmonella is in eggs all the time. Take precautions and you won't get sick.

August 25, 2010 at 9:52 pm | Reply
    • Wzrd1

That pretty much sums it up. I had my over easy eggs this morning and they were from Hillandale farms. But not from the plants or dates of the infected egg recalls.
      BUT, want to eliminate the risk completely? COMPLETELY cook the eggs. Cooking kills salmonella and denatures the toxins (deactivates them). Over easy won't cut it though, but just indicates MY level of concern with this, as I checked my egg plant and batch date codes.

August 26, 2010 at 10:46 am | Reply
  8. universe

sorry i misspelled in the sentence we can make all the politicians that we decide to keep in government civil servants with americans deciding to pay but no 100,000s of dollars. my keyboard worn out and being disabled i need a stimulus to get a new one. these politicians get thousands of dollars at a fund raiser and they no nothing of being on a fixed income. sorry to use so many words. GOD BLESS ALL OF YOU!

August 25, 2010 at 2:19 pm | Reply
  9. universe

the fda are ponds of the rich. if it doesn't cost the wealthy that have taken over the government and are never going to change the corrupt system. they support the nasty, unsanitary conditions, because they don't have to buy them. they are so much better than they poor. this is the price we average americans should except. the democrats and republicans are both behind this. they all play us because they know their political games at election time. I say let have a constitutional convention made possible from use of highest technology and call a national townhall meeting and fire all of them. don't overthrown our great democracy-republic just retool it. if 34 states ratify a law it is instantly made federal. we can make all the politician we decide to keep in government civil servant with amerger pay but no 100s of thousands of dollars. we seize all the money that was stolen from the american people all over the world and house our homeless and feed our hungry. forget the world because it has sponged off the usa long enough, and they crooked politician lie and line their pockets while real hard working average american families live in their cars, under bridges or even worse places. it is in the constitution as Thomas Jefferson about the 50 year revolution if the government oppressed its people. come on all small towns start your local activist. we will make the tea part look like a sunday social. But please keep it non-violent no one need die. May GOD BLESS YOU and KEEP YOU WHOLE ALL AMERICANS. I AM WITH YOU ALL IN BODY, MIND, AND SPIRIT of 1776.

August 25, 2010 at 2:09 pm | Reply
  10. Cyn

I only eat free range, organic eggs, so I'm not worried. Factory farming is not only extreme cruelty to animals and birds, but an extreme health risk to people. But it seems in this day and age, as long as lots of money is made, peoples lives and health are just "Collateral damage!"

August 25, 2010 at 12:09 pm | Reply
  11. Donna

any more you take a chance with any thing you eat as company done tell the truth about what they put in side. I am still eating eggs.

August 23, 2010 at 11:42 am | Reply
  12. Kol

I am glad to see there is at least 3 comments on here that stuck to the topic rather than having some stupid political war that you Know you are too wus-a-tron to do anywhere else but anonymously online. Gawd that bothers me, happens so much. ANyway, yeah dudes...buy from organic, local, small farms where the animals can't live in a pool of their own feces and get sick, which then gets us sick. That is what happens in a farm that mass produces living things. The organic farmers don't use antibiotics to kill the germs from sitting in fece pools. Which is great because A. as you can see, they don't always work and B. the more we ingest antibiotics, the higher our resistance is to them = when we get sick antibiotics don't work. I swing all over the place politically.

August 23, 2010 at 8:56 am | Reply
  13. AK47

We Republican tea baggers don't want the Gov. food inspectors telling us what eggs we can eat.PERIOD.\
    We are eggs for years before Obama took over and got along just fine.
    The Gov. CDC just likes to cause trouble.
    Shut down the food inspectors and save us tax payers money!
    Sarah Palin is right!

August 21, 2010 at 2:38 pm | Reply
  14. greg page

I am very concerned because I love eggs they are a very significant part of my diet thats why Im login on to find out if my eggs are ok, mine came from Rose Acre farms out of Indiana,and I dont see them on any of the recall list. SO I'M GONNA HAVE MY VERY FAVORITE I LIKE THE WHITES DONE BUT THE YELLOW TO RUN UUUUUMMMMM! OVER CHICKEN FLAVORED RICE...

August 21, 2010 at 8:03 am | Reply
  15. Chicken Little

We are still eating eggs. We don't have to worry about this because we have our own chickens that provide us with enough eggs for our family. Our eggs taste much better & are bigger than the eggs in the store.

August 20, 2010 at 11:58 pm | Reply
  16. guinea pig lady

For a person who has a lowered auto-immune system, it is not worth taking the risk. Even if my auto-immune system was fine, I still wouldn't take the risk.

August 20, 2010 at 8:07 pm | Reply
  17. Sam

Curious that the media haven't mentioned that to be safe just cook the darn eggs!

August 20, 2010 at 5:28 pm | Reply
  18. n

I'm not worried about the samonella. Partly because I've never liked runny eggs, so they are always well-cooked. Mostly because I have 4 backyard chickens. The eggs are so fresh & tasty, I don't ever want to go back to store bought.

August 20, 2010 at 3:14 pm | Reply
  19. ada

yes, I only eat organic cage free eggs

August 20, 2010 at 1:16 pm | Reply
  20. j

Of course I'll keep eating eggs, I cooked up a dozen for dinner time breakfast yesterday. There's always a chance of an egg containing salmonela. You're much more likely to get it from handling uncooked chicken or a pet. Even if I do get it, it won't kill me unless I'm already half dead from something else anyway.

August 20, 2010 at 11:07 am | Reply
  21. Kathy

Old woman here – I was told by my mother many, many years ago not to eat raw eggs. (Hence, keep your hands out of the cookie dough). We raised our own chickens and washed the eggs before they went into the refrig. Will I continue to eat eggs now? – Of course, just follow proper sanitation and cook those babies.

August 20, 2010 at 10:50 am | Reply
  22. Candice

I've got backyard chickens. Fresh eggs straight from the source!

August 19, 2010 at 9:17 pm | Reply
  23. salmonella

Honestly, I'm not all that worried about salmonella. As a reptile rescuer, I've done lots of research on salmonella, as reptiles are potential carriers of that disease. Especially rescued reptiles that haven't always been cared for right and so are more at risk of developing it.

If I had small children, eggs would be off the menu until I felt comfortable about their safety, or I'd eat organic. For myself, though, I realize that I could get very sick, but it's not likely to kill me. I'll be careful to stay away from the brands mentioned if I can, but I'm not going to go out of my way to shun eggs forevermore. I still eat spinach, and I'm much more afraid of E.coli.

August 19, 2010 at 8:24 pm | Reply
    • B-dog

A) Scramble your eggs and you are fine.

B) Salmonella SUCKS. I got Salmonella when I was in Mexico and the treatment (extra strength Cipro) is almost as bad as the sickness. Killer heartburn, diarrhea one day, constipation the next. Trust me you don't want it.

August 19, 2010 at 8:40 pm | Reply
      • salmonella

That's true. It's definitely not something that I want to get. But I'm not afraid of it, per se. Young children can die from salmonella. Adults mostly just get very, very ill.

I'm not saying I'm not going to take any precautions, such as, as you mentioned, fully cooking the eggs and such. But I'm not going to stop eating them completely from here on out because they might be tainted.

It's the same thing you do with reptiles. Make sure cages are very clean, wash your hands after handling them... you take simple precautions to avoid getting the disease. But you don't have to avoid the animal – or food in this case – altogether.

August 20, 2010 at 10:42 am | Reply
  24. James

No you morons, I would not eat eggs when they're being recalled due to a MASSIVE outbreak of an infectious organism. I like eggs, I enjoy eating them but I'm not dying to eat one so bad that I have to risk my god dam health for one.

Now if on the other hand there was a massive recall on blowjobs, I'd probably end up ignoring the warning and continue receiving them because that's something I truly love receiving and wouldn't want to live without.

Eggs, I can do withouth for a while

August 19, 2010 at 8:17 pm | Reply
    • j

You do realize that all eggs have the chance of containing salmonela?

August 20, 2010 at 11:08 am | Reply
  25. Chelsea

Yet another reason that I have my own flock of chickens!

August 19, 2010 at 7:58 pm | Reply
  26. Celeste

I'll continue to eat eggs (not that I have them all that often), but I cook them well enough to kill pretty much anything that's alive. I'll just be careful not to sneak a taste of something like raw cake batter in the meantime.

August 19, 2010 at 7:34 pm | Reply
  27. Fuyuko

if you fully cook them... Am I reading it right, you should be ok?

August 19, 2010 at 7:05 pm | Reply
    • Kat Kinsman

Yup – wash them & cook to 160 F.

August 19, 2010 at 8:30 pm | Reply
  28. Ralph

Heck yeah we get all our eggs and meat from local sustainable farms. Our veggies are from the CSA eat local act global.

August 19, 2010 at 6:44 pm | Reply
  29. skipping foreplay

I don't care but if this means that i have to throw all the eggs i just bought away, Fudge YOU!!!

August 19, 2010 at 6:05 pm | Reply
  30. JB1

I only eat organic eggs from range free, grain fed chickens from a local organic farm. That being said, I will continue to eat eggs, but only cooked, never raw such as in cookie dough, raw batter, or salad dressings.

August 19, 2010 at 6:05 pm | Reply
  31. kevin

These health scares are stupid.

August 19, 2010 at 6:01 pm | Reply
  32. raisin mountaineer

Got my own chickens in the back yard. I'll keep eating the eggs we collect!

August 19, 2010 at 6:00 pm | Reply
  33. David

I know I will, I raise my own chickens.

August 19, 2010 at 5:54 pm | Reply
  34. Jerry

Well I am not concerned I will continue to eat eggs.

August 19, 2010 at 5:38 pm | Reply
  35. TexasEggLady

We have 8 chickens and plenty of fresh – non toxic eggs – check your local zoning laws – two hens can provide a dozen eggs every 6 days – and eat the bugs in your yard.

August 19, 2010 at 5:20 pm | Reply
    • JuanitaBeasley

I think you can still get germs from your own eggs. Don't they all come from the Hen's poop-chute? I would make sure your eggs are fully cooked in any case.

August 19, 2010 at 8:44 pm | Reply
      • Jenn

A hen's musculature is such that the poop chute closes off completely as an egg is coming out. So no poop should contaminate the egg, unless the hen is careless about where she lays it (in which case it gets contaminated outside of the poop chute).

The other thing is that I do not feed my chickens antibiotics, and I don't suspect that many other backyard chicken owners do either. So if you do catch something, it probably won't be as virulent (as you point out in another post). Also, the egg shell is coated with natural flora to prevent bacteria from growing (assuming they are not virulent and disease resistant, and assuming that the chicken's own system is not suppressed from being literally worked to death in a factory farm).

August 24, 2010 at 4:56 pm | Reply
    • Home Grown Eggs

Don't I wish. I live in an area where farm animals, chickens, pigs, horses, are prohibited. Although I do have a friend in the area that raises chickens and sell the eggs. They're on the far expensive side, though. Upwards of $4 a dozen. I'm not sure I could afford those.

August 20, 2010 at 10:46 am | Reply