Life as a cereal freak
August 12th, 2010

My name is Sarah, and I am a cereal junkie. I just can’t stop after one bowl.

If I didn’t know any better, I’d mash flakes, loops, clusters and oats into my face until I blacked out. Won’t you lend me some sugar?

There is something about the consistent nature of cereal – the ease and accessibility of it in a crunch. There are no Trix up its sleeve: Bowl. Spoon. Cereal. Milk. Eat. Repeat.

I’ve heard the first step to recovery is denial, but I would go so far as to stake claim that cereal is indeed the perfect food - an (apple) jack of many trades. You can eat it for breakfast, for lunch, for dinner, for dessert. It's good for mid-afternoon snacking, late-night noshing and on-the-go munching.

For many, our first encounter into solid food territory is even an “O” of some sort. We gum wide-eyed, curiously confused and satiated by the grainy goodness that our parents just airplane swooped into our mouths.

Cereal was there for me early mornings before preschool as milk dribbled down my chin and my Velcro-shoed feet dangled from the kitchen table chair. It was there for me on family road trips, in single-serving boxed form, when the hotel breakfast buffet was otherwise a wasteland of chafing dishes. It forever fueled me during college all-nighters while I burned the candle at both ends.

Now, I'm not talking any of those New Age, sticks-and-berries, fiber chunked varieties. They simply just won’t do. Pass the Honey Nut Cheerios, Rice Krispies, Frosted Flakes and Lucky Charms. Me and the Cap’n - Crunch, that is - make it happen. As an informed eater, cereal is my omnivore’s dilemma - but it's not just me.

There are currently 36,542 people that “like” the Cereal page on Facebook. Even more astounding, 355, 316 people “like” a page entitled, “EATING CEREAL EVEN THOUGH IT ISN'T BREAKFAST TIME!!” In the popular sitcom "Seinfeld," cereal boxes were notably and constantly displayed on Jerry Seinfeld's kitchen shelf. Heck - there are even a couple of restaurant franchises, like The Cereal Bowl and Cereality, dedicated to the art of the breakfast bowl.

Just goes to show you, I won’t have to Kix the addiction alone. Now, where did I put my spoon?

Fellow cereal junkie? Share your favorite box in the comments below.

Posted by:
Filed under: Bite • Breakfast • Cereal • Obsessions • Products

1. Vanessa

Might i say that i am a cereal fanatic.
    My favorite cereal is "honey bunches of Oats" i'm just like the girl in the story. I probably should but i just can't seem to stop its almost a habit for me sad to say. I just love the feeling of eating that crunchy cereal and by the time you're done the milk is flavored, yummm. I think i might go for a run and then have a bowl now. Help me out guys! I need to stop!

April 13, 2014 at 5:30 pm | Reply
  2. Helmut blockheizkraftwerk

:-) cool!

August 18, 2010 at 6:54 am | Reply
  3. kleentx

When I was pregnant with my second child, my primary craving was cereal. I simply could not go to sleep at night if I did not have a bowl. Well, that did not leave me just because the baby was born. That "baby" is 28 years old and I still prefer to eat cereal as my late-night snack. Keeps me regular, too.....

August 16, 2010 at 5:30 pm | Reply
  4. CerealKing

I get at least 3 or 4 boxes of cereal every other week and I still run out occasionally.
    But I found a new cereal that is just fantastic...Cupcake Pebbles...they taste like rice krispy treats cereal but even better.

August 16, 2010 at 5:02 pm | Reply
  5. Angela

Oh, man, so glad to learn I'm not alone! I LOVE cereal! My husband makes fun of me, but it's my go-to if I'm hungry but don't want anything special. What's not to love? It's fast and easy, and just one little bowl and spoon to fit into the dishwasher. Plus some are actually relatively healthy, though they aren't usually as yummy. My cereal obsession du jour is Special K Chocolately Delights.

@ V Saxena: Some cereals, especially the "healthy" ones, actually have high protein counts. Certainly it's not as much as a chicken breast or a ribeye, but pretty substantial for a grain food.

August 16, 2010 at 4:54 pm | Reply
  6. V Saxena

Not a big cereal fan. As a weight-lifter, I avoid it because there's no protein benefit. Mind you, it tastes delicious, but I'd rather go with like rice and black beans. That's just me, though!

August 16, 2010 at 4:22 pm | Reply
  7. crackers

alpha bits can't be touched. the best hands down.

August 16, 2010 at 2:59 pm | Reply
  8. russ

What is your BMI?

Eat what you want but don't whine if you get fat.

Eat in moderation of 'good' foods – heavy on veggies and fruits – get exercise and live well.

August 16, 2010 at 1:48 pm | Reply
  9. gumwrapper

Love cereal! Love frosted mini-wheats but can't find the big bite kind anymore. All they have is the bite size in the various flavors – not bad, but why not the big bites? I mean, why me. Just because I have to have that size do they make all those tiny ones and mess with my favorite? Must be a conspiracy or somethin. Oh, and can't stand Grape Nuts – tastes like gravel. Oh's are good, but can't find those anymore. Also love Cracklin Oat Bran.

August 16, 2010 at 1:39 pm | Reply