Lunchtime poll – drinking on planes
August 10th, 2010

Jet Blue flight attendant Steven Slater made a huge splash with his dramatic, slide-borne, profanity-laced exit from the aircraft after getting into a kerfuffle with an unruly passenger. His coup de grace? Nabbing two brewskis from the cart before fleeing the scene.

Can't say we haven't been there - not the cursing and the sliding - craving an adult beverage after weathering TSA security, endless delays, screaming kids, rude seatmates and cramped conditions.

Do you ever indulge when you're flying the friendly skies?

Previously – Plane fare: Why are there no more meals?

Posted by:
Filed under: Airlines • Buzz • Lunchtime Poll • Sip • Travel

1. Mekhong Kurt

I don't mind the idea of a limit, probably because once on a trans-Pacific flight a guy got roaring drunk then started getting angry, for no apparent reason. Then he jumped up and tried to hit the hostess - with his fist. He was so drunk he missed and fell down, but several of us got up to make sure he stayed calm while someone got on of the pilots, who made it perfectly clear to the guy they would divert, if need be, and have him arrested if he didn't behave. Never saw a guy sober up so fast, that's for sure. It's true that was a highly unusual situation, but I have seen other people drink too much then become loud and obnoxious, to the cabin crew and to other passengers. And *that* I have seen any number of times. I drink, so yes, I want to have a drink or two, maybe more on really long flights, if they're allowed.

September 23, 2010 at 7:49 am |
  2. Big B

I can tell which of you fly often. A) The effects of alcohol are proven to be greater at high altitudes. Why do you think they don't want pilots drinking within a set amount of time before they take the controls? B) I refuse to pay $5-$6 for a Budweiser, when I can get a six-pack for that on the ground. C) I do, however, really enjoy a draft or two, rarely more for above reasons, at the airport bar. Yes, also WAY over-priced, but alot of the people you meet are interesting. I have seen passengers get on the plane with "orange juice" in hand, at 9-10 AM, and then proceed to order two more Skyes. These guys got loud, and then profane; the F.A. should not have served them. One had his cell out, and calling his "bookie" to check on a bet even before the plane touched down. I don't worry so much about my drinking and flying as I do other peoples'. Finally, not all rude/crass behavior has a connection to drinking....

September 2, 2010 at 9:32 pm |
  3. Matt

You should have had an option for always,

August 16, 2010 at 2:45 pm |
  4. Sandy

No because I don't want to pay the extra expense. I think airlines should offer passengers wine or beer if they are flying durning their birth month.

August 12, 2010 at 9:28 am |
  5. Jessica

As much as humanly possible. And I time my pee breaks so that once I am done with the dinner, I dont have to get up to pee any more. I just pass right out like a drooly baby. LOL! Makes a 10-hr flight feel like 40 minutes. I highly recommend. ;-)

August 11, 2010 at 6:43 pm |
  6. bsquared

Always, I never pass up an opportunity to have a drink, or 12.

August 11, 2010 at 6:25 pm |
  7. D

Hardly ever – it makes you wanna go pee and I don't wanna stand in the airplane line.

August 11, 2010 at 5:33 pm |
  8. Rachel

Mainly no because it is expensive. But I have when it was free from the airline as an apology for a long delay.

August 11, 2010 at 3:37 pm |
  9. International Traveler

Yes on international flights because drinks are free – gin and tonic after take off, red wine with dinner, coffee and baileys after dinner. On domestic flights only when I have a free drink cupon!

August 11, 2010 at 3:23 pm |
  10. traveler

I'm a Marine, so people always buy me drinks, and I think it rude to refuse.

August 11, 2010 at 4:56 am |
  11. Pixelbully

Another couple more years and they'll ban alcohol on planes just like they did smoking. Just to make your your absolutely and completely miserable during your flight

August 11, 2010 at 2:58 am |
  12. marstop

Fly to Asia frequently and definitely look forward to cocktail hour right after takeoff...

August 11, 2010 at 12:32 am |
  13. Monty

I don't really see a problem with dinking on a flight if its a flight that is over an hour but there should be a 2 drink max to ensure people don't get out of control on a flight.

August 11, 2010 at 12:26 am |
    • john

that's right- make a rule for everything and then we can blame someone else when things go wrong... you are a baby... grow up monty. make your own decisions...

September 10, 2010 at 11:43 pm |
  14. atlali

I'll have drinks if I get upgraded to first class and they're free, but I'm not gonna pay waaaaay too much for a drink that probably won't taste good anyway.

August 10, 2010 at 11:37 pm |
  15. seldom-flier

They only time I've ever flown was before I was legally able to drink. It was a bit of an awful flight, with kids kicking the seat behind me and people in front of me determined to take up their seat, our seat and the seats in front of them. It was loud and very long and tiring.

I don't think I'd object to a drink on the plane now that I am old enough to drink, if they aren't charging an extraordinary amount per drink. Otherwise I could dope myself on anti-histimines and sleep.

August 10, 2010 at 4:53 pm |
  16. jillmarie

I love having a glass of wine or two when flying. The high altitudes enhances the buzz. All things in moderation- you don't want to get wasted. I makes the flight go so much faster, too.

August 10, 2010 at 3:43 pm |
    • zilllion aire

I agree 100%

August 10, 2010 at 4:13 pm |
    • Brian

Cabins are pressurized.Any effect of altitude on your mental state would be neutralized. But I suppose you have had an enjoyable placebo effect.

August 16, 2010 at 1:04 pm |
      • Mekhong Kurt

Brian, the pressure in the cabin is set at the equivalent of several thousand feet - 8,000 or so, as I recall. I suppose if a person happened to live at that altitude, he or she wouldn't notice any effect. However, I live literally just a few feet above sea level, so I do notice a difference, though it doesn't bother me in the least.

September 23, 2010 at 7:40 am |
  17. Observer

People who drink on planes are retards.

August 10, 2010 at 3:25 pm |
    • zilllion aire

why is that? An emergency on a plane is like 1-in-a-million and what is a flyer really going to do if the s h i t hits the fan? Mind as well have a buzz

August 10, 2010 at 4:12 pm |
      • Observer

Zillion, there is help available if you want it:

August 10, 2010 at 4:24 pm |
      • SED43

Looks like Observer is a proud graduate of AA. I don’t see anything wrong with drinking in moderation.

August 11, 2010 at 8:48 am |
    • Leah (TXanimal)

First rule of internet trolls: don't bother supporting your claims or opinions with actual reasoning, logic or facts. Just call people names and hope that's enough.

Grow up.

August 10, 2010 at 5:32 pm |
      • Mekhong Kurt

Seconded.

September 23, 2010 at 7:37 am |
  18. frequentflier

always several before. and a couple on the flight. then i sleep like a baby.

August 10, 2010 at 2:58 pm |
  19. Anna

Now the ad has moved back to the bottom of the page...what is going on CNN?

August 10, 2010 at 2:40 pm |
  20. Anna

The last time I flew I wasn't old enough to drink, bt now I defniitely would!

Forgive any typos please, as CNN's ad is sitting right over the field I am typuing in and I can't see what I am typuinng.

August 10, 2010 at 2:39 pm |
  21. JuanitaBeasley

My dad worked for an airline, so I've been flying since I was a little kid. I love drinking on planes, because it reminds me that I'm a grown up and I get to drink more than a coke!

August 10, 2010 at 2:18 pm |
  22. Truth

Give it some time and I am sure that Obama will appoint some type or "Airline Czar" who can decide if alcohol on plane is harmful to us or not.

August 10, 2010 at 2:03 pm |
  23. Shawn S.

I think drinking on a plane should be your choice. But there should be limits cause there will be situations to where you will need to be alert. Like when there is an emergency. Also I don't think the flight attendants want to deal with a drunk person when they're trying to land the plane.

August 10, 2010 at 1:57 pm |
    • Wick

If the flight attendants are landing the plane, make mine a double.

August 15, 2010 at 11:11 am |
      • Mekhong Kurt

LOL - that was exactly MY reaction, too!

September 23, 2010 at 7:35 am |
  24. Semirra

Always a double shot pre-flight. I am scared to fly!

August 10, 2010 at 1:12 pm |
    • Califcosmo

Your not scared of "Flying"...your scared of "Crashing". Your safer on a plane, than you are in the car on the way to the airport.. Just repeat that a hundred times before boarding. :) Also,You might be better off smoking something to relax you as well.

August 11, 2010 at 1:08 am |
Pinterest

| Part of

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 7,308 other followers