August 8th, 2010

The five-second rule proves, to the shock of children and drunk people the world over, insufficiently prophylactic against salmonella and other bacterial buzzkills.

Posted by:
Filed under: For Science • Health News • News • Tainted Food • Weird News

1. Debbie

If Americans were less obsessed about hygiene, we'd probably have a lot healthier kids. There's a lot of scientific support for the Hygiene Hypothesis, which just means that people who ate dirt (and observed the 5-second rule) as kids are healthier adults.

August 9, 2010 at 7:14 pm | Reply
  2. Kent

A little dirt and a few germs in your body now and then just helps your immune system stay strong. That's my 2 cents and I'm sticking to it.

August 9, 2010 at 1:51 pm | Reply
  3. Mackadoodles

I have three dogs in my house. There is no 5 second rule!

August 9, 2010 at 1:28 pm | Reply
    • Greg

Hah! so true, my mother has large dogs. You couldn't even let the food get below your waist, let alone the floor.

August 9, 2010 at 1:39 pm | Reply
  4. Paul

Was it above the rim or below the rim?

August 9, 2010 at 1:20 pm | Reply
  5. Werner

I'm sure if you keep your floor clean and washed on a regular basis, you're probably alright with a dropped cookie.
    On the other hand, if your floor has got salmonella bacteria all over it – you've got way bigger problems than dropped food.

August 9, 2010 at 1:20 pm | Reply
  6. Kathleen

MST has it right. The 5-second rule is about perception ("no, I'm not REALLY eating off the floor"), not about germs.

August 9, 2010 at 12:48 pm | Reply
  7. Bill

I wanna party with Gina

August 9, 2010 at 12:29 pm | Reply
  8. Les

happens in the BOH in restaurants all. the. time.

August 9, 2010 at 12:22 pm | Reply
  9. Gina

I still believe in 5 second rules, whether it's off the floor or the counter. I once even spat my gum on the highway while drunkenly laughing at rechewed that and lived to tell. C'est la vie.

August 9, 2010 at 12:12 pm | Reply
  10. David R.

MythBusters have been there and done that... myth busted.

August 9, 2010 at 11:59 am | Reply
  11. MST

Did this really surprise anyone? I first learned the 5-second rule in middle school; it's just a way to justify eating food that's picked up on the floor and look 'cool' while doing it. I never thought of it as being linked to hygiene.

August 9, 2010 at 11:58 am | Reply