Blogger Spotlight: Tasty Trix
August 6th, 2010

Every so often, we're highlighting a local or regional blogger we think you ought to know about. We can’t be everywhere at once, so we look to these passionate eaters, cooks and writers to keep us tapped into every facet of the food world. Consider this a way to get to know a blog’s taste buds, because, well, you should.

Meet today's featured blogger and blog:
Who: Tracey “Trix” Middlekauff, of Tasty Trix
Where: Baltimore, Maryland
Twitter: @TastyTrix

I don’t come from a family with any food traditions or culture to speak of, unless you count white bread, bologna and tuna noodle casseroles. Because of this, I feel the need to explore the cuisines of different cultures and countries in an attempt to create my own personal relationship with food – one that I didn’t have growing up.

More than anything, travel inspires me in my cooking and food writing. No matter where my husband and I go, we plan virtually the entire trip around food. I firmly believe that if you really want to understand a culture, the first thing you should do is learn about – and of course taste! – the food. When I get back home, I can’t wait to try to recreate the flavors and dishes I’ve experienced, often putting my own twist on them.

In my blog, I’ve talked about eating my way through Budapest and Vienna and the foods I’ve cooked as a result of my travels, like lángos (Hungarian deep fried pizza) or beans in pumpkin seed cream, a recipe that a Viennese chef graciously shared with me.

Sometimes I get excited to cook dishes from places I’ve never been, like my take on Korean fusion tacos from Los Angeles or spicy Kenyan curried fish. Last year, I looked to the past for inspiration when I cooked and blogged about a different Medieval dish for 12 successive days during the holiday season. By the end, I really questioned my sanity!

But, travel doesn’t have to mean going on a long trip. I can go to my local farmers market and discover something new and fresh – which is how I came up with my gooseberry tartlet recipe – or experience a cultural festival like Latino Fest that makes me want to approach cooking in a whole different way.

Since I launched Tasty Trix a little over a year ago, I’ve started taking culinary classes, worked for a professional chef and landed a job as a professional food writer with a local magazine, the 'Urbanite.' I feel incredibly lucky to get paid to write about something I love so much! But my blog will always be my baby, because that’s where I get to share my personal culinary journey and discoveries with others through recipes, photos and stories.

Do you read a local blog that you'd like to see featured? Send 'em our way for a chance in the spotlight.

Posted by:
Filed under: Blog Spotlight • Blogs • Think

1. Poohbear

Just clicked over here from my favorite blog, Tasty Trix, and am glad I did! It's funny, here she's talking about Budapest and Vienna and her recent posts are about Prague. Girl gets around! Thanks for spotlighting a talented writer and chef!

April 30, 2011 at 2:19 pm | Reply
  2. Kathy Gori

Great to see my pal Tasty Trix featured here, it's always fun to discover what she's up to!

August 9, 2010 at 9:42 pm | Reply
  3. TerpTrish

Tasty Trix is easily one of my favorite food blogs. Kudos to CNN for featuring her!

August 9, 2010 at 6:12 am | Reply
  4. Holy Toledo

A great blog. I particularly liked the series on Medieval cooking. Very original!

August 8, 2010 at 8:21 pm | Reply
  5. PinkPinkPink

I clicked on the little taco pic on the front page because it looked yummy but I had no idea that the blog it came from would be SO full of awesome food! Consider me a regular reader now!

August 8, 2010 at 9:14 am | Reply
  6. Simply Life

This is so exciting to see you here! Great blog and post!

August 8, 2010 at 7:20 am | Reply
  7. kukubura

One of the best bloggers I've read! A huge diversity of flavors, a genuine passion for food, sharp and witty writing, gorgeous photos - and a babe to boot! Thanks for featuring her. Hopefully lots of people will discover this great blog now.

August 6, 2010 at 4:41 pm | Reply
  8. Brian

I've been following Tasty Trix's blog since its birth. Our weekly meals now include many of her recipes. Try her beet burgers sometime! So glad Baltimore can share her with CNN and the world.

August 6, 2010 at 3:27 pm | Reply
  9. Jdizzle McHammerpants

I freaking love farmer's markets. There's a fisherman's market in Homer, Alaska – on Saturday's, I think – where the locals will gather and peddle their catch. You can get buckets of crab, clams, muscles, halibut, shrimp, oysters, etc on the CHEAP, especially compared to supermarkets. Of course you can always catch it yourself. Those from Alaska laugh at the prices in the lower 48 states grocery stores for this kind of stuff. We can go up the trail and catch it for free in 20 minutes.

August 6, 2010 at 2:47 pm | Reply