5@5 - 'Saveur' editor-in-chief James Oseland
August 4th, 2010

Guilty food pleasures: they're so wrong, yet oh-so right. From neon-hued mac 'n' cheese to cheeseburger-flavored tortilla chips, seems everybody has one or five ... even say, an editor-in-chief of a major food magazine.

James Oseland has been the editor-in-chief of 'Saveur' magazine since 2006, and also acts as judge on Bravo's "Top Chef Masters." Now, he's ready to spill the beans and get some guilty food pleasures off his chest. This is a no judgment zone. Guilty, schmilty!

5 Foods I Am (Only Somewhat) Ashamed to Say I Love: James Oseland

1. Dr. Pepper
"Every time I take a sip of this stuff (I try to limit my annual consumption to no more than three cans), I am reminded of a line I heard someone say on Mary Hartman - the 1970s Norman Lear-produced soap opera satire - when I was about 13 years old: 'Drink it; it’s delicious nectar of the gods.' With its round-noted, cherry-esque flavors, it is exactly that, and more. Forget all the newfangled 'artisanal,' small-batch lemongrass-and-lavender sodas that are popping up like rabbits these days; Dr. Pepper is the most brilliant soft drink out there. Period."

2. BBQ Potato Chips
"All varieties. All the time. From Kettle Chips to Wise to Ruffles, BBQ-flavored potato chips kick ass. They are salty and sweet and smoky and crisp and crunchy, and they come in the most gorgeous, sunset-y hues known to man. Is there anything more you could want from a food? (And they’re even better when washed down with a salt-counterbalancing swig of straight-from-the-can Dr. Pepper - which, in effect, kills two of my long-standing trash-food obsessions with one stone. Oh, rapture without end!)"

3. McDonald’s Filet-O-Fish Sandwiches
"I’m sorry, I know it is the height of foodie irresponsibility even to admit to setting foot inside the Evil Death Star that is McDonald’s, but the mega-chain’s Filet-O-Fish sandwiches are perfection on a bun. (The editor-in-chief of Saveur likes McDonald’s? Call the President!) From the crisp wedge of battered, fried fish to the dainty dab of tartar sauce, they are a miracle of food science. I remember that the first thing I wanted to eat upon returning the States after spending ten months in a South Indian village sleeping on a mat and eating a strict vegetarian diet was a Filet-O-Fish sammy. They are that important to me."

4. Hershey’s Milk Chocolate Bars
"Okay, okay, there are some really sophisticated chocolates available nowadays. And, yes, many of those chocolates are produced using cacao farmed under some seemingly great, free-trade conditions. But when I need a chocolate fix, there is nothing more satisfying than a Hershey's Bar. Its velvety mouth-feel and subtle, caramel-like sweetness connect to my pleasure sensors (and to happy childhood memories) in an immediate, primal way."

5. Swiss Miss Creamy Vanilla Pudding Cups
"Admitting to loving this 'food' as much as I do kind of freaks me out. Pudding cups, in all forms, are pretty reprehensible foods, filled with all sorts of incredibly nasty synthetic things. But, God, do they taste good, especially the vanilla variety from Swiss Miss. Its smooth, buttery goodness makes me instantly forget all the bad things I’ve ever said about factory food."

Got a food you're a wee bit embarrassed to admit you eat? Consider the comment section your food confessional.

Posted by:
Filed under: 5@5 • Think

soundoff (1,294 Responses)
  1. Cheryle Villaplana

Being healthy to travel around the planet. Have a beach home near the water.

January 4, 2014 at 10:03 am |
  2. Uth Video

Frozen Cokes (aka Coke Slurpees), toffee-nut lattes, and blueberry-vanilla bubble teas also help to soothe my aches and make me happy enough to want to write again.

October 14, 2011 at 8:48 am |
  3. Wendell Stergios

Thanks for your marvelous posting! I genuinely enjoyed reading it, you might be a great author.I will make sure to bookmark your blog and will often come back someday. I want to encourage that you continue your great posts, have a nice afternoon!

January 31, 2011 at 11:50 pm |
  4. sha

In no particular order: Philly Cheesteak with double wiz (wiz on the roll and wiz on top of the meat), Philly Italian Hoagie, Popeye's chicken strips and fries, Pringles minis, Lay's lightly salted potato chips.

August 12, 2010 at 2:37 pm |

3. JITB tacos
    4. Friendly's French fries
    5. Hot fudge sundaes

August 12, 2010 at 11:29 am |
  7. Diane

This is gonna be tough, to keep it at 5, but here goes:
    1. chef-Boyardee cheese ravioli-hot, cold, right out of the can (hard to get the tongue inside tho)
    2. Cheetos-most all kinds but ESPECIALLY the hot fries kind, with a diet Mt. Dew
    3. Snaps (remember-the pastel pieces that leak on your hands chewy black licorice)
    4. Hamburg Inn #2 (Iowa City IA) hamburgers, tenderloins, french fries ...MMGOOD
    5. Klondike ice cream bars-all types but most specifically Dark Chocolate and Heath
    6. dark Chocolate (the darker the better) and red wine (the drier the better)-wait-those are good for you. Better start another post...

August 11, 2010 at 11:00 pm |
  8. GeorgeS

August 10, 2010 at 9:00 pm |
  9. bjoyharrington

1. Pizza Hut Breadsticks
    2. Any flavor Jimmy John's chips
    3. Crab ragoon
    4. Peanut Butter M&Ms
    5. Taco Bell Cheese Rollup

August 10, 2010 at 7:18 pm |
  10. MEG

My once in a great while treats!

1. Burger Kings veggi burger add CHEESE!
    2. Homemade egg rolls dipped with soysauce and vinegar
    3. Chipotle soft veggi tacos-little to no rice add on the avacados and sourcream. Sriracha please?!
    4. Deep fried pickles with RANCH!
    5. Japanese Bagle Balls. HEAVEN-fresh salmon, cream cheese and green onions. DEEP FRIED TEMPURA STYLE....YUMMMMMMM!

August 10, 2010 at 5:20 pm |
  11. Lauren

The sad thing with my list is I do NOT moderate which I should. I drink Starbucks twice a day. It is my happy place! Everyone needs one! I also try to go out to eat to chuys once every 2 weeks. And yesturday after work I was eating Nutella with a spoon and Sun chips with my lunch! Gosh, I need to cut back before it is too late!

August 10, 2010 at 11:03 am |
  12. Lauren

YES TO BREAD! Rolls from Logans Roadhouse! I dip the bread in the butter! DELICIOUS

August 10, 2010 at 10:58 am |
  13. Brenda

Chocolate cake with chocolate or cream cheese icing – darker or richer the better
    Ice cream – ben & jerry’s new yorker, blue bell strawberry
    Fried chicken – prepared by church women
    Potatoes – want them with every meal, fried, baked, mashed
    Bread – white toast, rolls, cornbread

August 10, 2010 at 10:53 am |
  14. Lauren

In no order...

1. Iced extra caramel caramel macchiato from STARBUCKS
    2. Garden Salsa Sun Chips
    3. Almond Joys
    4. tres Leches from Chuys (OMG HEAVEN! PLEASE TRY THIS)
    5. Nutella! Eat it with a spoon!
    6. Zaxbys fries
    7. Peach flavored ice cream
    8. Philly Cheese steak coney from Sonic (Don't sell anymore, PLEASE COME BACK)
    9. Fudeslide buckets(call them Peanut Butter buckets) from Logans Roadhouse
    10. BREAD PUDDING! My mom of course makes the best with golden raisins and rum sauce

August 10, 2010 at 10:35 am |
    • Lauren

Fudge slide *** Pardon moi.

August 10, 2010 at 11:07 am |
  15. Faversham

This has brought back so many memories! Not sure if that is a good thing...now I have images of onion-soup-mix dip & chips, crunchy cheetos, samoas, taco bell burritos, cadbury mini-eggs, grilled cheese and all kinds of fried food dancing in my head. What a combination. And I don't think I'll be able to pass up trying some cheeseburger flavor doritos next time I go to the store.

Anyway, here are some additions I don't think have been mentioned yet...
    -Dill pickle flavor potato chips (found them in canada but they don't seem popular in the us. there is a little company in va that makes them - yum!)
    -Houlihan's 'shrooms (huge fried mushrooms filled with a cream cheese concoction with creamy horseradish sauce for dipping)
    -Annie's mexican mac cheese mix (set aside some of the pasta before cooking to maximize the sauce - probably could add some spices to regular mac cheese but never thought about it before this thread)
    -Orange crackers with peanut butter (there used to be a reduced fat version but haven't seen it in stores for a long time)
    -Dunkin donuts glazed chocolate donuts - or even better donut holes (not sure you can get a box of the donut holes that only has chocolate ones...)

Thanks to everyone who contributed their lists - what a fun read!

August 10, 2010 at 8:24 am |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
| Part of

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 9,986 other followers