Blogger Spotlight: A Little Bit of Spain in Iowa
July 28th, 2010

Every weekday, we're highlighting a blogger we think you ought to know about. We can’t be everywhere at once, so we look to these passionate eaters, cooks and writers to keep us tapped into every facet of the food world. Consider this a way to get to know a blog’s taste buds, because, well, you should.

Who: Diana Bauman, of A Little Bit of Spain in Iowa
Where: Des Moines, Iowa
Twitter: @dianabauman

Creativity. From fine art, design, photography, food creation to gardening, art has always been a part of my life. I started my professional career as a graphic and web designer. As soon as I had children I made the decision to work from home in order to raise them. As a homemaker I have embraced the responsibilities of feeding and nourishing my children and family. At the same time, I have been delighted to encounter the online movement of food blogging. I found this new medium a unique and exciting outlet to express my creativity.

I have always been passionate about food, particularly, Spanish food. My extended family is from Sevilla, in the southern part of Spain called Andalucia. I started my food blog in order to preserve my family’s traditional recipes from Spain. In order to recreate some of these recipes, some ingredients are needed that can’t be found at your local grocery store. Spaniards use pork lard, back fat, organ meats and all pieces of the animal that some may find “odd.” I try to go into depth on what these ingredients are, their nutritional benefits and how they can be sourced through local family farmers. It’s this nature of cooking real traditional foods that I found myself immersed in the local foods movement and urban homesteading.

I share with my readers the joy that can be found by growing and raising your own food. From organic gardening to urban chicken farming, it’s a way to live sustainably and frugally. During these economic times, it’s a cinch to have nourishing vegetables, meat and eggs right in your backyard. A form of living that was also a necessity lived out by my mother and family in Spain.

My blog comes full circle: growing, raising, harvesting and cooking. I also express to my readers that not everyone has the time to grow or raise their own food and that’s okay. That is why I encourage my readers to shop at farmers markets and to source their meat and eggs directly from local family farmers.

What’s in store for me in the future? In May of 2011, I will be leading my first culinary tour through Andalucia, Spain. In the future, I would also enjoy to write a traditional Spanish cookbook.

Do you read a local or regional blog that you'd like to see featured? Send 'em our way for a chance in the spotlight.

Posted by:
Filed under: Blog Spotlight • Blogs • Think

1. Paula - bell'alimento

So fantastic to see Diana featured here. She has an amazing blog and is always an inspiration for me! I always look forward to her posts!

August 3, 2010 at 4:32 pm | Reply
  2. Lou and Carly Caraza

Of course our daughter Diana is AMAZING! It's the Latino/Hispanic blood she carries from both sides of her family. Mostly Latino... hahah (inside joke!)
    We thank God for her, as we truly blessed and are so proud of her.
    We also get to share in the meals she cooks and veggies she grows!
    Diana, I konw you will continue to inspire many people along the way!
    Momma and Poppi...

July 30, 2010 at 7:16 am | Reply
  3. Tiny Urban Kitchen

Diana – congrats on being featured on CNN! I also highly recommend Diana's blog. She's warm, personable, and has a real passion for healthy, sustainable living. I am always amazed at the things she does.

July 29, 2010 at 12:23 pm | Reply
  4. brian_in_gib

Awesome choice of blog to feature! I've been following Diana's blog for a few months now and she's full of excellent ideas and recipes. Don't hesitate, check it out.
    Greeting from Gibraltar,
    brian

July 29, 2010 at 3:04 am | Reply
  5. Lisa Cumings

My sister Diana is such an inspiration and role model! She has inspired me to utilize local food resources and to start my own garden! Couldn't of done it without you sis!

July 28, 2010 at 10:18 pm | Reply
  6. Wardeh @ GNOWFGLINS

So delightful to see Diana profiled here! She's a fabulous blogger who wraps nutrition, taste and style into every dish.

July 28, 2010 at 8:12 pm | Reply
  7. Diana@Spain in Iowa

Thank you so much everyone for the kind comments. This was a blast! Thanks CNN!

July 28, 2010 at 7:23 pm | Reply
  8. Fuji Mama

So great to see Diana and her blog featured here. Diana continually inspires me, not only in her cooking, but as a mother and a person.

July 28, 2010 at 6:44 pm | Reply
  9. Jules

I have recently discovered Diana's blog and have to agree with the 3:31 p post by Dr. Gabriel (her hubby), Diana is AWESOME! Just tried her steel cut oats recipe last week. As health issues have arisen in my family, I too am looking for better ways to feed my family more Whole Foods, incorporating better food choices, and using ingredients that I have never used before. Keep up the great work!

July 28, 2010 at 4:03 pm | Reply
  10. Lori @ FakeFoodFree

A wonderful blog to feature. Diana's posts are so informative and I really enjoy how she mixes her family's cultural roots with her current food practices and recipes. Great job, Diana!

July 28, 2010 at 3:41 pm | Reply
  11. Dr. Gabriel Bauman

My wife is awesome.

July 28, 2010 at 3:31 pm | Reply
  12. Christine @ Fresh Local and Best

Diana, it is great getting to know more about your philosphy on food, and family life. Your blog makes me wish that I live in the great land of Iowa!

July 28, 2010 at 3:06 pm | Reply
  13. joe08

My Fiancee went to the universidad de Sevilla. She cooks Spanish food all the time and I love it!

July 28, 2010 at 2:35 pm | Reply