...and a side of Soylent Green, please
July 27th, 2010

PETA - the animal rights activist group whose monthly stage blood budget must run in the quadruple to quintuple digits - today staged a pro-vegan publicity stunt at the intersection of W. 45th Street and Broadway in New York City's Times Square. Legendary proponents of nearly-nude public antics, the cadre's toned and comely volunteers assumed corpse poses upon human-sized, plastic-swaddled (don't they know how hazardous that is?) "meat" trays bedecked with stickers proclaiming, "Billions of Animals Are Abused and Violently Killed Because You Eat Meat."

I respect vegans' point of view - I really do (except when they're calling me "sick" and "twisted" and wishing cancer upon me - because while I can live with the slurs, my pals with cancer surely would not wish that lot on anyone, no matter their eating habits), and devote plenty of blog inches to sensible discussion of ethics-based foodways. I'm also well aware that not all vegans are PETA members, nor do they support their tactics.

Here's my beef: while the issue is grave and grim (and yes, what person in their right mind doesn't think that animals deserve a better shake than they usually get?) the stunts often just seem silly.

I know from silly - I went to art school and was, at one point, convinced I'd make a living as a performance artist wearing cheesecloth dresses with corncobs sewn into them, clamping metal bird masks onto my face and performing poetry about, like, alienation and pain and rain and dead roses. No one took me seriously, and I can't blame them. PETA's stunts get attention - heck, I'm writing about them right now - but do they actually change hearts and minds, or just open the group up to ridicule?

It's easy to make fun - the aforementioned fake blood, the lettuce bras, the implication that fishermen are insufficiently endowed, the nudity (always with the nudity...). Plenty of people respond to any discussion of PETA with a riff that rather than People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, their own personal acronym is People Eating Tasty Animals. And then they probably go down a steak out of sheer spite of the bare, "bloodied" limbs waving pamphlets and platitudes in their face.

I'm rooting for the vegans and the vegetarians. I'm constantly considering and reconsidering my own omnivorous eating habits and wildly vary my own consumption of meat, especially when I read particular thoughtful, intelligent commentary from members of our readership who abstain. An excellent argument can have me (and by extension, my husband) on tempeh binges for days at a time, but wish a deadly disease on me or toss paint in my face? I’m surely not gonna take it out on the animals, but I’ll likely never take the cancer-wishers and paint tossers (and by extension their group) seriously.

And that’s a bloody shame.

Previously - Vegetarian activists try in-your-face tactics

Next entry »
« Previous entry
  1. boohoo

Dead dogs, roadkill and other dead pets are all tuned into food byproduct at “Rendering Plants”. Most dog food brands are made up of meat from “Rendering Plants” (food processing of old and inedible meat)? Humans won’t eat this meat in the U.S. and the government says that’s it’s not fit for human consumption. Meat from rendering plants is also made from left over waste, essentially animal by-products that would be thrown away. Also when cows, chicken and swine eat, they are essentially processing corn and wheat that humans cannot eat (I do know that corn is not their natural food). After consuming that non-human grade corn and wheat they are then slaughtered and made into steaks etc. Not to mention making a car requires the use of animal by-products (the factory machinery needs lubricants from animal by-products, not to mention industrial chemicals using the same by-products). “Rendering Plants” provide all this and more, so dead dogs sometimes become Dog Food.

November 3, 2010 at 5:50 pm | Reply
  2. Amber

Its common knowledge that pigs are smarter (or as smart) as dogs. People are repulsed at the idea of eating dogs, but can eat pigs with out a second thought to it. So if sentience is not the issue, why don't we eat dogs? There are plenty of strays sitting in shelters, waiting to go to their deaths anyway. Why not throw them on the barbie?

September 27, 2010 at 1:55 pm | Reply
  3. Philip Bak

oh wait aminuts. what happen to her is nothing happen to her and if any thing happen to her, they will not put Peta in the
    plastic bag with the the fake blood on her body and asked people for comments. What iam going to say is i will buy that meat for $9 dollar cash. because their are a lot of animals that need food.

September 21, 2010 at 7:16 pm | Reply
  4. JohninTampa

The one in the picture, I'D eat her.

September 20, 2010 at 2:26 pm | Reply
  5. Deathmetal Chef

If animals weren't meant to be eaten, then why are they so delicious? Look at the cow... they're big, slow, dumb, and TASTY. If that doesn't scream "eat me" then nothing does. Sorry, but tofu doesn't make me salivate.

September 17, 2010 at 10:12 pm | Reply
  6. jjhb

This is almost as disgusting as shoveing "Unhappy Bloody Mangled Meals" in young childrens faces at Mc D's!! Believe me if one had tried that with my grandchildren I would have been arrested for the first time in my kife and damn proud of it!!!!

September 15, 2010 at 9:23 pm | Reply
  7. JJ

Doesn't goose sausage or jerky sound so delectable right now? I had it for the first time last January, along with deer burgers filled with various cheeses and frogs legs and REAL home fries, all that with beer and yager. It was a good time, just me and my buddies hanging out, eating and watching the game. Those dudes can cook some food! All that they hunted for food, Shooting a deer in the belly and letting him run until he bleeds to death is inhumane, however they don't feel anything from a good shot.

September 15, 2010 at 9:05 pm | Reply
  8. Bob

Come on Joseph get real, just because we have the crops and technology does not justify a vegan diet. Don has a very valid point alot people these days do not equate steaks and hamburgers to cows, bacon and ham to pigs, etc... to them the world is all nice and sterile and nothing gets hurt and everyone is a winner. It is all about balance, meat & vegetables, One of the biggest reasons we cannot eat meals like our grand and great grandparents ate on a steady basis is that we do not expend the amount of energy on a dialy basis as they did. All of the REALLY good high calory meals fueld them and they burnt it off building the foundations of what we have today. Do I eat more "vegan" these days yes i do, but I will always eat meat because it provides what our bodies need to stay strong, grow, and stay healthy. It is not a matter of survival, it is what we are DESIGNED to do. A 2 cycle motor can and will run on gas alone but it will soon lock up, we are designed to run on not only nuts, berries, fruits, and veggies but meat as well. BUT I do agree that animals should be slaughtered as humanely as possible, but on the flip side how humanely do they kill us. They dont worry about it, they are animals... Just like us.

September 15, 2010 at 8:55 pm | Reply
  9. JJ

I'm from Virginia Beach Va, right next to Norfolk Va, (I believe that's where PETA's headquarters is, dunno, dont care) I think they're funny. I wear leather boots and belts and chow down on yummy food's like steak. (Wanna know an awesome way to tenderize and season?) I just wanted to say all that for no reason. (Probably got mad cow disease or something because I'm such a horrible person, PFFHAHAHA, just blew soda out my nose) I mostly just wanted to comment on a few of the commentors, they were typing about "Retards" it made me laugh. People should do whatever the hell they want to do tho, IF they want to join PETA, have green poop and all drink tainted kool-aid in a mass suicide, good for them, less morons for me to deal with! Just let people have their beliefs, I drive a RAM 1500, does that make me horrible because I consume tons of gas? Because Im not a hillbilly ford owner? Holy Toledo, I dont have a diesel! All of you, just keep your pie holes to yourself. Talking, or in this case typing against the other people just makes you look ignorant. Believe what you do and let them do the same. Honestly, that chick in the picture is pretty cute, Id go out with her regardless of what she prefers. How does that song go, "She don't eat meat but she sure loves the bone!" Does ones beliefs really make them less human? All you people are doing is fighting for useless causes. Do something useful, invent a meat de-meater so the leaf eaters can enjoy medium rare steaks! Just dont invent something to make anything taste like plants, blech! Altho some plants are good, like the tobacco my neighbor sells! I never met the guy but all his friends are always happy when they leave!

September 15, 2010 at 8:29 pm | Reply
  10. Bob

But judging just from the picture PETA is promoting canibalism... Is that available at the local grocer?

September 15, 2010 at 8:24 pm | Reply
    • JJ

I'd eat her, not in a cannibalistic way tho........

September 15, 2010 at 8:30 pm | Reply
  11. Bob

Im a PETA member too... People Eating Tasty Animals...

September 15, 2010 at 8:18 pm | Reply
  12. PETASUX

For every animal you don't eat...I eat two. Yummy.

September 15, 2010 at 7:55 pm | Reply
  13. Frank

Very tasty, can I have the one in the plastic bag please?

September 13, 2010 at 8:39 pm | Reply
  14. dymplz

This article mentioned the outrageous amounts of money that is spent to fund these kind of projects and quite frankly it is sickening. In todays economy people are being forced from thier homes and let go from their jobs and groups like this can afford to pay for stunts such as this one that (protect animal rights) but what about our rights as being human. I dont see these groups or organizations forking out money to better the lives of their fellow neighbor or nieghbors children. People are people and we are all animals in a way. It is natural to want to survive. Its all part of nature to eat. These groups and organizations should try watching the national geographic or discovery channel. I will say its not right to mistreat animals or abuse them but as a human being I have to eat. I will continue to eat meat. I do not think these projects are worth the money that is spent for them.

September 3, 2010 at 11:47 pm | Reply
  15. M McCarthy

Give it up PETA. People will always eat meat. This will never change.

September 3, 2010 at 12:53 pm | Reply
  16. Anarcissie

PETA's tactics may be ugly and stupid but they work -
    they draw attention to the subject. Once the subject
    is raised at all, two-thirds of the battle is over.

September 2, 2010 at 11:19 pm | Reply
    • JJ

2/3's huh? What if it draws attention for all of about 1.5 minutes? I see the pictures and videos, sometimes they're better than the best comedy acts! Then I completely forget about it, who really cares what they do, they have a scam to get simple minded people to join their cause and pay fees. Hell, Id do something similar to make money if I was business minded. I see your point, however my question is, does it really make a difference? Everyone Ive ever met has never considered changing their ways due to an ad such as this. My first thought when I saw this ad was "Man, she's sexy. Id buy her at the store!"

September 15, 2010 at 8:37 pm | Reply
  17. joe

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

August 30, 2010 at 1:00 pm | Reply
  18. Great Cornholio

PETA would be better off using reason instead of emotionalism. As the poll shows, attempts such as these are a failure if not backfiring.

Take mussels, for example. Mussels have NO - i.e. ZERO - central nervous system - NO brain. Followers of veganism (ultimately the diet that PETA pushes) STILL won't eat them. Why? For no REASON (supported by facts, logic, etc.). They don't eat them simply because they wish to follow their self-imposed discipline. That's fine. That's their choice. Just as long as PETA doesn't try using fallacious circular logic to convince me that I AM WRONG - e.g. it's unethical to eat mussel meat...why?...because it's unethical...why? because it's mussel meat...ad infinitum.

Generally, I think it is unethical to eat anything that is self-aware (i.e. great apes, humans, dolphins...etc.) at ANY POINT in its life-cycle development. No human fetus eating! Personally, I don't eat any land animal, sea mammal, etc. I have my reasons.

And if you really want to get spiritual...EVERYTHING is alive...plant, rocks, light particles, etc. Hook up an EEG to a living plant, then yell obscenities at it, cut it and eat it, or even move toward it with destructive intention and you'll see a reaction...yes the plant is conscious to a degree.

To be a full human one must have gratitude for all things, especially the things you must consume in order to live. That process - consumption, transmutation into energy and body, excreting waste - is the one unavoidable fact of life for now.

August 28, 2010 at 2:12 pm | Reply
  19. greenman

PETA has a point to make and many things are valid. Some are not exactly doable in a world that has to use every option to feed itself.
    Treatment of animals is a valid point and treatment of food in general is another. Just look at hr processing plants and conditions for the past 80 years hardly anything we would want our children to know.
    I wish we could come to a less is more status with meat production and no more hormone use in meat. We should adopt a European hormone meat policy. There's enough cancer already in society.

August 22, 2010 at 9:36 am | Reply
  20. Jack

A friend runs the sandwich-wagon that stops almost across the street from PETA HQ in Norfolk, Va, and there are days he runs out of MEAT trying to fill the orders of the people around there. I understand he pulls in reinforcements when there is a big PETA campaign going on because the Other PETA counter protests there. The truck spot pays the bills! I wonder if a steak restaurant would do well upwind....

August 20, 2010 at 9:14 am | Reply
  21. disqusted

these displays of human death show nothing but dpravity in the minds of those who staged this lost in there cushoined American lives theyve lost touch with reality and the order of life IDIOTS !

August 19, 2010 at 11:56 pm | Reply
  22. battiti

ever tried to befriend a wild boar? we are thought of as meat to carnivorous animals no more or less than they are scientifically proven to offer sustaining dietary nutrition to us! those who romanticize the wild should go out into the wild and get 'educated' on the verities of living as a beast – they would sooner die petting than dancing around the campfire with these animals!

August 19, 2010 at 8:44 am | Reply
  23. Sandy C

I know that everyone has their own opinion, but do they have to have the lady covered in blood like that! I'm sure there are other ways of displaying your feelings or ideas.

August 9, 2010 at 2:46 pm | Reply
  24. Tim

That person may not like the "They make me want to eat meat...answer in the poll, but 50% of the responders feel that way about PETA.

August 7, 2010 at 4:39 pm | Reply
  25. Tim

PETA is a joke. They are just another group of money grubbing hypocrites...They even run a KILL SHELTER!! Look it up.

August 7, 2010 at 4:37 pm | Reply
  26. frankohawk

Peta is unAmerican and anti Christian. They can have all the opinions they want on how animals should be treated or on what they themselves should eat. But when they try to cram it down my throat then that's different. They would love to be little dictators. Bunch of communists is what they are. Oh and by the way - what rights do the animals have when PETA gets hold of them? I can tell you they have the right to be spayed ,neutered or euthanized. PETA wants you to have those same rights too since humans and animals are equal.

August 6, 2010 at 3:31 pm | Reply
  27. boohoo

It has already been said, that humans consume meat for food, so I will not argue that point any further. I will also not address if vegans choose to not eat meat, thats their choice.

But what needs to be said and understood by everyone here, ANIMAL BYPRODUCTS ARE HERE TO STAY.

Even if you never eat another piece of meat or wear clothes made out of animals for the rest of your life, animal byproducts will continue to be used by heavy industry, light industry and biotech industry. END OF STORY. There is NO animal rights lobby that will be able to stop the use of animal byproducts in heavy industry, light industry and biotech industry. Its pretty much pointless to even think that its possible, without a full blown collapse of modern society and even then animals would become even more valuable as a commodity. PETA exists to collect money as a 503c and pay high salaries to its executives, management and contractors. Its a big sham that young people are buying into and they need to wake up.

Let me say it again, ANIMAL BYPRODUCTS ARE HERE TO STAY, there is too much money at stake, not to mention the stability of modern civilization and just about every modern product has some type of animal byproduct in it, EVEN IF YOU DON'T KNOW ABOUT OR DON'T BELIEVE THIS FACT, ITS TRUE. The use of animal byproducts are a REQUIREMENT for modern living, just as they were for agricultural or nomadic living. To believe otherwise is the same as believing in the Tooth Fairy or Santa Claus. Not eating meat or not buying clothes made from animals WILL NOT SAVE ANY ANIMALS because 90% of the consumer products in your home were developed, tested or manufactured with the use of some form of animal byproduct.

So please just stop taking about or even thinking about PETA. They can't stop or affect anything related to the use of animals in commercial endeavors, they simply exists to pay the salaries of insiders to the organization. They know this, why don't others get it?

August 5, 2010 at 4:57 pm | Reply
  28. Genny

I dont think their trying to stop all people eating meat, this ad will help turn those already feeling bad about animal rights, rednecks and fat americans will write comments insulting other peoples way of life, even though vegans are harmless

August 3, 2010 at 7:32 am | Reply
  29. RCH

I'm thoroughly disappointed in Kat Kinsman for putting the "They make me want to eat meat and wear leather " poll option and in everyone who chose it. I detest PETA's publicity stunts as much as the next person, but just because they engage in childish and tasteless displays of human stupidity doesn't mean that anyone should go out and engage in some sort of retaliatory meat bingefest. The organization's goal is to promote the ethical treatment of animals, something I think we'd all agree is a noble undertaking. But where they fall short in achieving this goal, whether through misguided marketing ploys or poor representations of vegetarian/vegan lifestyles, it should not create some sort of opening in people's minds to justify taking a stance in the opposite direction (ie: intentionally consuming more meat and further promoting the unethical treatment of animals in the meat industry). The meat industry is abolutely deplorable, and is one that treats animals absolutely horribly and destroys our environment. I'm perfectly happy to say that I eat meat, but I make a consistently conscious choice to buy mine from ethically-minded sources that raise their animals in a cruelty-free way. And I would never change my eating habits in order to try to "get back at" PETA in a way that would affect even more animals. I'm not sure what's worse, people who do this and think that PETA's somehow going to be made magically aware of their poorly conceived retaliation or people who do this and actually feel better about themselves for "getting even" with the organization. Truly horrendous and embarrasing.

August 2, 2010 at 7:27 pm | Reply
    • Kat Kinsman

I'm sorry you're disappointed, but I did it to prove a point. Any time we run articles about PETA or extreme stunts like that, people respond in the comments that yes, it does so actively irk them, that they feel compelled to do the opposite. No, it's not the most rational thing in the world, but I wanted to just hold up a mirror and just show how very counterproductive those measures are, and the active harm they're causing.

I was a vegetarian for a long time, and at least one roommate of mine in college probably ate even more meat than she would have normally, just to try to upset me because my stance was so at odds with her worldview. I mostly just didn't react, because I knew it would just fuel her.

August 2, 2010 at 7:53 pm | Reply
  30. Andrew Bales

Personally. I see the reason for PETA when it was established in 1980 regarding animal testing and very blatant animal abuses. Now it seems like so many successful organizations, you are running out of good to do. You think we should live in a world of Vegans? You disrupt and try to disband Jewish Kosher slaughtering of animals even though there is much evidence that it is much more humane than Captive Bolt, Asphyxiation, Gunshot or electrocution.

Newkirk get back on target. You are turning what you started as a great organization into an organization of board "upper middle class." Sometimes scaling down is not scaling back.

As far as your antics in NY – just bored children playing. I am going to go eat a half Kilo Kosher burger.

August 2, 2010 at 7:22 am | Reply
  31. Matt

I think whatever people want to eat they should be able to prepare themselves. ie; growing your own veges, etc. Same if you want to eat meat then slaughter the animal yourself. If you can live with doing that regularly, fine. After working in a slaughterhouse I couldnt do it anymore. You can argue all you like but there's just some things that feel so wrong and that's one of them.

August 1, 2010 at 9:24 am | Reply
    • JJ

That's simply a matter of your morals bud, I know plenty of hunters who shoot to kill then field dress their prey for more than the game, they do it to eat. I understand your inability to continue your job, however some people have different morals. I'll be hunting for my first time this year, if I like it, I will continue to do it, however if I don't, then I wont, Simple as that. Its a matter of your ability to handle what you do. Mmmmmm, goose jerky or sausage sounds good right now!

September 15, 2010 at 8:55 pm | Reply
  32. Davis

As a former vegan who now eats meat, I am on both sides of the argument – but you're all dead wrong about PETA. If it wasn't for their eye-catching displays and media sensationalism – including getting household name celebrities to endorse the vegan diet, then there wouldn't be the avenue available to them to get their investigations out there in the media. It's their investigations and exposé's that are the real reason these people work hard-core for saving animals – it's not just because it's a "cute little bunny" it's because any mistreatment to animals is completely unjustified.

And don't give me petakillsanimals.com – that's a front site courtesy of Phillip Morris (who incidentally don't like PETA because if they get their way it means Phillip Morris can't force monkeys to ingest cigarette smoke to find out DUH if it causes cancer..! This is STILL happening by the way, years and years after we already knew) try http://consumerdeception.com instead!

PETA aren't the bad guys here, advocating a less violent way of life? Asking that you think where your food comes from in realistic terms? Making sure that animals don't suffer needlessly.. Anyone who thinks that animals are here for our use is extremely selfish and needs to take a big picture view of the world.

Oh, and also – PETA has never, doesn't and will never act in violence, break into places, set fire to anything, destroy property – if you think they do then you're sorely mistaken – they are an NGO like all others and any breaking of the law would result in their status being removed, you think they honestly would allow that? Get real

July 30, 2010 at 10:31 am | Reply
    • Arwyn

Um, and you eat meat now because...?

August 1, 2010 at 1:19 pm | Reply
    • Erik

sorry pookie,
      One can be correct about the sponsors of an information source, but, as usual, you attack them and NOT the information provided.
      PETA, ALF, HSUS... all one and the same, same people, same board members..etc..etc..etc..
      and guess what... they ARE supporting, encouraging, and DOING the various acts of vandalism and terrorism.
      exactly the same as watson and his SSCS... simple terrorists...tho, in watsons cause and case, a totally INCOMPETENT terrorist.

I suggest YOU get real

August 17, 2010 at 9:56 pm | Reply
  33. Don

As a person raised on a farm with cattle, hogs, goats, ckickens, ducks, and horses, I recognize that meat does not come from the grocery store where it is raised on beds of styrofoam and shrinkwrap. If people weren't crowded into cities where they have lost complete touch with their roots, their ties to the land and its bounty, their ancestral roots, their very identities, we wouldn't even be having these silly debates. Man is an omnivore, just like pigs, bears, racoons, and YES even those cute little deer that eat baby birds right out of their nests.

Ignorant, clueless, uninformed, sheeplike city people are embarrassing members of the human race.

July 30, 2010 at 7:58 am | Reply
    • Joseph

If your argument is that the growth of the urban world caused vegetarianism, you may be correct. And you may wish to realize the implications of that statement. But being vegetarian or vegan is a personal choice and what is "identity" if not defining oneself? What right do you have to call that choice "ignorant?" Vegetarians are a minority, so choosing to be one is the exact opposite of sheeplike behavior. Furthermore, the case of mankind and other animals as obligate omnivores is a useless comparison. Animals engage in omnivorous behavior for survival. Man is able to avoid this unfortunate situation, so no obligation to eat meat exists, just a desire for selfish indulgence. Your appeal of man as a traditional omnivore is just a poorly disguised logical fallacy. Just because it's ancestral doesn't mean it's right or even preferable.

August 1, 2010 at 1:38 pm | Reply
      • Bob

September 15, 2010 at 8:51 pm | Reply
  34. K

People who voted "They make me want to eat meat and wear leather" should be shot

July 30, 2010 at 4:33 am | Reply
    • James

why should people who voted "they make me want to eat meat and wear leather" should be shot? aren't human beings suppose to be Omnivores? people are voting eating meat bc they don't like PETA.

August 1, 2010 at 11:20 pm | Reply
  35. LittleMiss

Peta kill more that 90% of animals in it's care – http://www.petakillsanimals.com/petasdirtysecret.cfm so far peta have killed thousands of animals that are suitable for re-homing because it's cheaper and means they can afford all the stupid stunts (like this one).

I have no time for people that pull stupid stunts instead of helping their cause. Groups like Peta ruin the names of good groups like the WWF.

July 30, 2010 at 3:42 am | Reply
  36. Ce

Well I got to say WOW! You know I put these folks up there with the Bible thumpers who say we need to kill every one! I mean hey A life is a life! I mean a head of lettuce has a life and they are killing them.Beans and brussel sprouts have a life and they are killing them too! Hey life is life when you are standing up for one type you should not be hypercritical! I figure it this way. We can not hunt and eat the bunny's and bears. The cows, sheep and chickens are raised to be eaten!
    Any Question on what I eat! I don't think So!

July 29, 2010 at 11:25 pm | Reply
  37. Scott

I'll take some breast meat & a couple of thighs

July 29, 2010 at 9:12 pm | Reply
  38. cmaz

Interesting, most PETA people support abortions as a woman's right, but a person can;t choose to eat the meat of an animal??? In addition, the staged photo looks like the anti-abortion depictions, just larger.

July 29, 2010 at 5:31 pm | Reply
  39. TI

I *highly* recommend Michael Pollan's book "An Omnivore's Dilemma"

it will tell you all you need to know about the current state of the food industry and how it will inevitably collapse on itself, soon.

July 29, 2010 at 11:44 am | Reply
  40. chaz

Oh yeah, another thing, When they stopped feeding livestock with grass (there isn't enough grass for all the animals they slaughter for meat) and give them corn (high sugar, no protein) the meat is just not as healthy as it was when people were "lucky" to have a steak once a week.

July 29, 2010 at 10:03 am | Reply
  41. chaz

Watch Fast Food Nation! Feces in yout hamburgers packed by rape victims!

July 29, 2010 at 9:59 am | Reply
  42. bob dole

Compare the Calorie content of a vegan/vegetarian diet vs. a omnivorous diet. To get the same amount of Calories from a vegan/vegetarian diet requires a much higher intake which in turn means more land turned over to farming (such as South American rain forest) and more fuel used to grow/transport those crops. While it may be inhumane the way a lot of these animals are raised, it is a rather efficient way of providing food to the world. A solution to these problems is to reduce your intake of meat and eat things that were grown/raised locally.

July 29, 2010 at 9:53 am | Reply
    • Gina

Sorry, dude, not accurate. It takes as much farmland to produce ONE pound of beef as it does to produce FOUR pounds of vegetables. Vegetables are a lot more efficient use of farmland. But you're absolutely right about reducing meat intake and buying locally grown produce. I am a vegetarian (lacto-ovo, not vegan) and I am usually appalled by PETA's tactics. I've seen them handing out flyers with pictures of mutilated animals out to children at local festivals. And when "Big Butter Jesus" burned down in southern Ohio, they offered to rebuild it – if Jesus was re-built holding a "Go Vegan" sign. They are an embarrasment to people like me who have given up meat as a PERSONAL choice. It works for me. I feel healthier. I am not going to try to convert anyone else. I've often wondered how many of the PETA protestors in front of the local fairgrounds also supported abortion. . . .just a thought.

July 29, 2010 at 6:38 pm | Reply
  43. Robert

Someone needs to buy the land directly in front of PETA's headquarters bldg in Norfolk VA and open a nice rib joint. Maybe the glorious aroma of the sizzling mammal flesh will make all those arrogant pricks at PETA who want to impose their own warped views on others completely sick. If you want to eat nuts and twigs than more power to you, but don’t you dare tell me what I can and cannot eat. What I consume is my business and if I what to hack bambi's head off and eat that furry creature than that’s my right! If God didn’t want us to eat animals he would not have made them taste so good. Mmmmmmmm... Ribs....

July 29, 2010 at 9:32 am | Reply
  44. TI

I honestly don't bring up my dietary decisions because i feel as it is my business. who would want to hear how that piece of chicken ended up on your plate when you're enjoying that crunchy goodness (miss the fried chicken!)

In fact, the only time it's brought up is when people ask me why i chose this lifestyle, upon which i'm more than happy to give my opinion. PETA and those zealots alike need to understand that human beings have used domesticated animals for almost as long as we've been sentient.
    Also, based on the laws of survival and natural selection, those animals use us just as much as we use them. We must feed them and house them properly otherwise the species as we know them today wouldn't be here, so they are dependent on us just as much as we are on them.

is it wrong how these animals are treated by our industrial companies? yes but it's not, in my opinion, wrong to use them for energy and the such. It is the circle of life and PETA is just another intolerant group of arrogant people shouting for a "animal rights" by screaming that if you eat meat, you're a lesser being than I.

July 28, 2010 at 2:48 pm | Reply
  45. TI

I have been a vegan for three years, try to eat organically when i can afford it and avoid companies known for their abuse of animals and carelessness to their consumers. Peta – without they're crap advertisement department – can be informative but they fail to really capture people with their stunts like the image above. that's just grotesque!
    I dont remember the last time those scary anti-abortion people with the bloody splattered fetus posters on the side of the road really and truly swayed anyone to their side.

Peta and those that support it's approach to these issues really show their arrogant attitude by pulling stunts like this and gives us other vegans/vegetarians a bad rap.

July 28, 2010 at 2:31 pm | Reply
    • Balance

It's true. I look at the nonsense that PETA pulls and I do assume that all vegans/ vegetarians are insane. Apologies if that doesn't apply to you, but rather than encourage people to consider the message, they turn most people off.

July 28, 2010 at 2:35 pm | Reply
    • Alex

I think you've hit the nail on the head. I've been working my way toward a vegetarian lifestyle for the past year, but i will NEVER call myself a vegetarian. It has too much of a stigma attached to it because of PETA and because of vegetarians who evangelize to me at every turn. Before i started reducing my meat intake, my friend would seriously never let it go whenever i ate meat around him. Because of that, i ate twice the amount of meat i normally do around him. Vegetarians really need to be conscious of how they come off to other people, as many of the people complaining about religious evangelists are the same way, only with their diet.

July 28, 2010 at 4:36 pm | Reply
      • Joseph

Doesn't eating twice the meat seem to you to be unnecessarily spiteful? Again I don't see how you find it acceptable to compromise your own opinions as a result of outside pressure and prejudice. The label of "vegetarian" isn't important, but you're not doing yourself any ethical favors by eating extra meat just to prove your distaste. That's just petty.

July 28, 2010 at 6:28 pm | Reply