Roadside Eats: Ball Ground, Georgia
July 26th, 2010

CNN staffers travel a lot, even when they're not out chasing a story. They also tend to seek out delicious eats, no matter where their travels take them. This is the first in a series of snapshots of roadside food stands across the globe. Today's contributor, Shana Darnell, is a photo editor for CNN. She is based in Atlanta, Georgia.

bbq

Traveling on Hwy 369 in Ball Ground, Georgia, northeast of Hwy. 20, before you even see it, you catch a delicious whiff emanating from a large smoker, billowing barbecue aroma. A man chopping wood and a scarecrow version of the Amos's Bar-B-Q namesake greets you as you turn the corner onto Hightower Road.

scarecrow

My family and I piled into the tiny house adorned with eclectic relics of the old South amid countless kitschy signs decked with slogans like, "No service will be provided at this bar to anyone on a horse" and "All unruly children will be sold as slaves."

bbq

We each ordered the daily special, which consisted of a large chopped pork sandwich, baked beans and a medium drink - sweet tea, of course - for $6.00. A side of coleslaw and a bag of Lays potato chips are a MUST with barbecue lunch, and apparently, Amos' is also famous for biscuits with gravy and stew.

bbq

We were lucky to grab a picnic table inside, in the air conditioning on this hot summer day and set up camp with our two small boys. Being from Georgia originally, I grew up eating barbecue and without a doubt, Amos' offerings definitely top the charts. It was juicy and flavorful and the sauce was a perfect complement to the barbecue without overpowering it - not too tangy, too sweet or too hot.

bbq

When we finished, the miniature John Deere tractor on the front porch - which offers family style picnic table seating - enchanted my son. Overall, the atmosphere, the freshness of the food and the friendly, down-home service make this place a true jewel of the South.

bbq

Previously – Eufaula, Alabama

Posted by:
Filed under: Barbecue • Bite • Cuisines • Roadside Eats • Travel

1. Julie Seitz

Not only is the food the best around, but the owners are two of the most kindest people I have met in years (hard to find these days). All including the biscuits is yummy, but the Brunswick stew is one of my favorites and it is the best I have ever tasted in my life. The BBQ is moist with a great taste and is also another favorite. When driving by just the smell makes you want to stop and eat. Every Friday my kids and I treat ourselves to a biscuit before work and school. The kids call it Biscuit Friday and they will not have one from any other place but Amos' BBQ because they have the best.

September 22, 2010 at 5:51 am | Reply
  2. Ron Edwards

Best BBQ anywhere! Smoked perfectly,sauce is great,sides are great,but best of all the people that run it are great!We drive 40 miles just to eat here! Great job Paul and company!

July 28, 2010 at 3:56 pm | Reply
  3. Meat Man

So how long of a drive would it be from Oregon...No good BBQ joints up here

July 27, 2010 at 5:01 pm | Reply
    • Ron Edwards

IF I WAS IN OREGON I WOULD STILL FIND A WAY TO GET THIS BBQ! PROBABLY WOULD BE A LITTLE FAR TO DRIVE BUT I STILL WOUILDN'T RULE IT OUT!

July 29, 2010 at 6:42 am | Reply
  4. Dianne

We take our pets to a wonderful vet in Ball Ground even though it is a 27 mile drive from our home in Roswell. So glad to know of Amos's BBQ. We will definitely check it out on our next trip.

July 26, 2010 at 5:43 pm | Reply
  5. Paul (amos) johnson .

I am the owner of amos' BBQ . I am so blessed and . Thank you to all of my loyal customers (now friends) . It is a lot of work but I lof it, and appreciate all of you . Thanks

July 26, 2010 at 4:45 pm | Reply
  6. Nicole

I live not to far from here and was just told about this jewel last week. We stopped by this past Friday for lunch! Lewis Grizzard would be proud of Amos's!

July 26, 2010 at 1:25 pm | Reply
  7. duane Steeler

WOW wee looks like this is the Bar Bea Que to be eATEN, very nice Storey but where and how far is Ball Ground, Ga. from ATLANTA, South side, well guess We need to buy a MAP....

July 26, 2010 at 12:41 pm | Reply
    • Nicole

Ball Ground is North of ATL by about 30+ miles....nestled between Canton and Cumming. If you are on the southside, you need to check out Fresh Air BBQ in Jackson. A different style of sauce, but A++ in my book...I wished I stilled lived on the southside just so I would be closer to Fresh Air!

July 26, 2010 at 1:28 pm | Reply
    • Tonya

Ball Ground is North of Atlanta off 575...Right next door to Canton. Amos is worth the drive!

July 26, 2010 at 1:33 pm | Reply
    • Ron

IT'S OUT OF THE WAY FOR US TOO .WE LIVE NORTH OF CARTERSVILLE BUT FOR THIS BBQ WE STILL FIND A REASON TO BE IN THE BALL GROUND AREA 4 TO 5 TIMES A MONTH!

July 29, 2010 at 6:47 am | Reply
  8. Ed Selby

Amos's is my neighborhood BBQ joint, and I fully realize how lucky I am. This is some of the BEST BBQ around without a doubt.

July 26, 2010 at 11:23 am | Reply