Clarified: Vegans, pescetarians, raw foodists and other dietary tribes
July 22nd, 2010

In cooking, the process of clarification entails straining out extraneous muck from liquids so that they might be pure, clear and ideal for consumption. With this series on the world's dietary tribes, we're attempting to do the same. Previously, we defined dietary restrictions of some of the world's major religions. Up next – gluten free, low-sugar and other medically necessary diets.

Today, we're delving into the do-not-eat lists of all stripes of vegetarians as well as fruitarians, raw foodists and other groups who observe self-imposed culinary restrictions. Reasons for adherence vary wildly from person to person - some for religious reasons, others out of environmental and ethical concerns and others for reasons of health and well being.

In future installments, we'll speak with the people who have chosen these paths, but today, here are the raw (dairy-free, meat-free...) facts.

Omnivore
While the term technically implies a creature who eats everything, in human terms, it means an equal-opportunity eater who consumes both animal and plant-based foods in varying ratios.

Vegetarian
This is often used as a blanket term to describe anyone who abstains - whatever the frequency - from eating meat. Strict vegetarians, however, abstain from consuming red meat, game, poultry, seafood or any products derived from their slaughter. Many also avoid eating gelatin, which is a collagen released by boiling the bones, skins, connective tissue and hooves of animals like pigs and cows, and rennet, a milk digestion enzyme extracted from the stomachs of mammals, often used to make cheese.

Less animal-exclusive permutations of vegetarianism include:

- Flexitarian or semi-vegetarian
These occasional practitioners of a vegetarian diet take a certain amount of heat from their more rigorous brethren, some of whom consider them omnivores who occasionally abstain from animal products.

- Lacto-vegetarian
Meat and fish are still off the menu, but dairy products like milk, butter and cheese are permissible - though some of the faithful still strenuously avoid rennet. Some, but not all, will consume eggs, so perhaps find an alternate for the rennet-free cheddar omelette you'd planned to serve at this weekend's brunch meeting.

- Ovo-vegetarian
Omelette, yes - though make sure the eggs are whisked with water rather than cream and the bacon is fakin'. Eggs are included in the diet, but dairy and meat are still on the restricted list.

- Ovo-lacto vegetarian
Veggie cheeseburger with fried huevos on top? Check. Dairy and eggs are in play, but the side of sausage is taboo.

- Pescetarian
Who doesn't love a good portmanteau? This mash-up of "pesce" - fish and "vegetarian" mean it's any fish dish they wish. Red meat, game and poultry are still a no-go, and as to dairy and eggs - better ask your guests if you're planning on laying out a cheese board.

- Pollotarian
Chicken is chucked from the do-not-eat list, as are duck, turkey and the rest of our fine feathered friends. Fish, eggs and dairy may or may not be on the menu, but red meat and game won't pass a pollotarian's lips.

Vegan
Vegetarianism is often a stepping stone to full-on veganism, which excludes meat, game, fish, poultry, dairy and eggs - essentially any animal-derived product from the diet. Yeast and honey are off the table for many, but not all vegans, and most actively avoid wearing or using fur, leather, wool, down, silk or any products tested on animals.

Some vegans also skip refined sugar, as it's sometimes processed with animal bone char.

Fruitarian
Fruits, nuts and seeds make up the main diet of this vegan sub-set, though some will supplement with beans, oil and honey. Others avoid seeds, as they represent future plants, and some only consume fallen fruit - or that which can be picked without killing the plant. Peach – yes. Carrot – no.

Raw foodist
The eats may or may not be vegetarian or even vegan, but on the whole, they're, well, whole - as in sprouted grains, and not cooked above a temperature of 104F-115F. The vegan version of this diet would likely include seeds, sprouts, nuts, fruit, vegetables and grains, while a non-vegan could eat all of those, plus honey, eggs, non-pasteurized dairy and even seafood and meat.

The rationale, generally, is that foods cooked above the cited temperatures have lost most of their nutritional value, even to the point of toxicity, and that freezing these foods also harms the level of enzyme activity. Food preparation often involves soaking and dehydration for foods to become digestible.

Macrobiotic
Whole grains are a staple of this menu, which is sometimes adopted to battle some forms of cancer - though that theory is not officially supported or endorsed by any major medical group. Vegetables, fruit, soy, legumes, fish and nuts may supplement and balance the grains, but they'll usually make up half or more of a day's food intake.

Ingredients are cooked simply - and chewed thoroughly as the diet calls for minimal processing of ingredients - often steamed or fermented, and usually accompanied by large amounts of water. There is a strong emphasis on eating local, seasonal, organic foods, in harmony with nature.

Got questions for folks who adhere to these diets? Share them below and we'll do our best to seek answers from vegans, fruitarians, the raw and the cooked.

1. el periodico de los periodicos,el periódico de los periódicos

It is the best time to make a few plans for the future and it's time to be happy. I have learn this submit and if I may just I wish to suggest you some interesting things or suggestions. Perhaps you can write next articles regarding this article. I want to learn more things approximately it!

March 21, 2013 at 9:04 am |
  2. MBD

Vegan is a choice I can make today because I have a lot of resources available to me – backyard garden, produce stands, etc. "Free range" doesn't cut it with me. It's nice that that chicken pecked bugs in a field, but then you sliced its head off and hacked it to pieces. Not so "free" after all. I ate a "normal" omnivore diet for years before understanding that no creature had to live or die for me to eat. I eat a varied diet and get everything I need with a clearer conscience. And please, screaming carrots? You are going to have to bring a little more than "plant-killers". Better yet, let's not fight about it at all.

September 27, 2010 at 8:56 pm |
  3. Veganman

As a Vegan and Atheist, My reason for being Veg for the last 13 years is COMPASSION. No animal should be exploited or die for my dietary needs. It's not necessary.

September 27, 2010 at 10:03 am |
  4. Ruby

RIPPO, have you considered the quality of life of animals if they weren't a food source? Do you think they'd be all happy and carefree if we weren't managing the population? If we don't eat them, does that mean we just allow them to roam free and populate at will and never mind culling the herd for sick animals, if wouldn't really matter would it? Of course, maybe they'd all be perfectly healthy, because they're consuming a grass diet. But wait, they're animals, they don't understand supply and demand of food and water, right? I guess we'd have starving and unhealthly animals roaming around. These are animals. They are a food source for most of us. Glad you did your research, now go back and do some more and try to understand the impact to the environment and the economy if we were to all stop eating animals. FYI – have you checked out the supply and demand of veggies and fruits if a few billion people became vegan? Now these cows and chickens would get the boot so the land could be used for more crops! What would we do during times of flood and drought and there wasn't enough veggies to go around? If we're not supposed to eat animals, then why are they made of meat? Live sustaining meat! You're welcome to your choices, just don't try to convince me that they are the "right" choice. It's just "your" choice based on the things you've decided is important.

September 22, 2010 at 12:58 pm |
  5. Audrey

When I invite people over, I always ask if they have any dietary restrictions (whether for health, religious or personal reasons). I'm an ovo-lacto vegetarian myself, and my husband (also a vegetarian) suffers from various food allergies, so we're pretty sensitive to such needs in other people. I also ask if there are any foods they don't particularly like (This stems from having to choke down foods I don't like, out of politeness, way too often. Note to chefs: just because a person is a vegetarian, don't assume he or she likes eggplant, tofu or portobello mushrooms!). I'd much rather make something that my guests will enjoy, so it helps me to know up front if there are certain foods they just don't like.

I will not cook meat, for personal reasons, but when entertaining meat eaters, I make an effort to serve things that won't seem "weird" to them...often foods that are inherently vegetarian already (most people would be surprised at just how often they eat vegetarian food without thinking about it!) or that can be made so without a lot of tweaking.

When invited out, I do let the host know our dietary restrictions up front, and offer to bring something if that will make it easier for them. I don't tell them about my food aversions, though, unless they ask (I may not like eggplant and mushrooms, but I can eat them for the sake of politeness).

We have never pushed our dietary choice on other people. When people come together for a meal, it's friendship and civility that's wanted...not a sermon. We've made the choices we've made for our own reasons (and, of course, my husband can't help having allergies), and we respect the rights of others to make their own choices. Oddly, we've more often been on the receiving end of that kind of thing...family members who have made an entire meal a trial by making snide remarks about our food choices, or by waving pieces of steak under our noses and saying "mmm...doesn't that smell good?"

September 22, 2010 at 12:31 pm |
  6. liz

The article is interesting but pretty urban-centric. There are people, like myself, who don't eat industrially produced meat and only eat wild protein obtained from the people who hunted it. We share the same ground as the animals we consume and in being closer to them, we feel a deeper connection to that sustenance. It's a healthy, respectful and aware way to eat and I personally feel grateful to live in a northern area where such choices are possible.

August 21, 2010 at 12:13 pm |
  7. oogmar

I love my grandmother.

Back in the younger days when I was a vegan (I know, crazy pants)(I still don't do dead animals, minus the occasional dead fish), I was visiting grandma back home in North Dakota. She is one of the best cooks I have ever met: everything simple and delicious, everything heavy-calorie for a large family on the farm. I had to explain to her several times over several days what vegan meant. I was living off of raw veggies and the ridiculously expensive soymilk I'd managed to find in town an hour away because there was NOTHING else.

So she decided to make me potatoes! She didn't use butter, she used non-dairy replacement. She reduced some soy milk down for the cream! She salted and peppered them for perfection...

And then put bacon in them. I guess part of my explanation didn't stick.

I couldn't help it. I laughed, I ate them, and they were delicious. Oh grandma, you rule.

August 15, 2010 at 1:53 am |
  8. sck

I can relate to the "I hate how holier than thou vegans/vegetarians are" comments. That is the exact way I generally feel about people who don't refrain from any animal products.

July 27, 2010 at 3:23 pm |
  9. Nichele

sorry for typos in above post I'm not a good typer , LOL........Ps .maybe we should have told the ESkimos a few hundred years ago to be Vegetarians, I wonder how long they would have lived, or Indians to stop eating their free range buffalo ! Or maybe we should be mad at the omnivore animals !

July 25, 2010 at 7:49 pm |
  10. Nichele

I have seen so many Vegans/vegetarians who are unhealthy ,out of shape, over weight , with the dark circles under their eyes judging me as I eat wild caught salmon, or organic free range turkey as they are eating thier fake soy/hydrolized soy protein meat patty and other highly processed vegan food while I'm eatin organic veggies , fresh organic fruit and organic basmati rice ,to go along with my organic all natural free range emeat or wild caught fish ! My whole family is healthy, has lots of energy and we are all athletic. My kids haven't missed a day od School in years because they don't get sick ! Now please don't tell me it is unhealthy to eat ORGANIC FREE RANGE animal protein ! We feel great !!! We are NOT overweight, lacking in in energy or health as I've seen Vegans be, in fact I tried being a Vegetarian for a few months just out of curiousity and I felt horrible, LOW energy ect... Yes, I agree that many Americans eat TOO much meat, but, does that mean we should get rid of all animal protein because of the people that eat too much ! also on another note...ethical..hmmmmmm...so we should feel miserable and unhealthy by not eating meat and fish so that the animals can feel better and have a better longer life, NOT...I'm all for humane treatment of animals and that is ONE of the reasons we choose dorganic free range along with heakth reason, so please RIPPO hold your anger and judgement !

July 25, 2010 at 7:45 pm |
    • Rippo

Yes there are unhealthy Vegans as well. There are many points to being Vegan as you should know.. ONE is health.. that is a personal and self serving issue. The other issues are that of environmental waste for an unnecessary source of food that is the largest polluter of any and all industries:the livestock industry. Another is for the cruelty that YOU are not being realistic about. You suggest that your meat is free range etc... Well that is an industry that has MASSIVE flaws ... and unregulated industry that doesnt necessarily mean that their animals even see the light of day. Do your homework before YOU are getting "holier than thou". It is also UNNECESSARY TO EAT ANIMAL PROTEIN... and from the way you are goingon and on about all the meat you eat I would imagine that you have not thoroughly loked into how much animal protien you can actually assimilate... THAT is another way we are being wasteful .. Consuming WAY too much food at a massive expense of resources... THink deeper it will serve you and the future you are preparing for your children... on many levels..

July 30, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  11. Reykjavik

Would any of these people accomidate my omnivore diet when I visited their house? No, they would serve vegan/vegetarian food which I do not enjoy. I woulsd smile and politely try some and eat when I went home.

So I will serve meat and side dishes and they can sort through it and figure out what they can eat and go home and cook themselves a meal.

I am not kowtowing to absurd requests.

July 23, 2010 at 9:42 am |
    • VeganGirl

What do you mean you do not enjoy vegan/vegetarian food? You do not enjoy eating an apple?

July 26, 2010 at 1:44 pm |
      • Mak

By itself? Not at all. Everything I cook, including salads, has meat in it (bacon or ham in salads, for example). I do NOT just sit down and eat a carrot, apple or a pile of glorified grass, er lettuce. I do not find the taste of them pleasing....they are either bland our outright disgusting (most of the pepper family). And yes, I have had vegan relatives try to convince me that vegan cooking is good....I have not had a single vegan-prepared food that I would even finish, let alone consider to be food.

I do not like vegitables, unless I can add meat to for flavor or to kill the nasty veggie taste.

September 27, 2010 at 4:32 pm |
  12. abie

Vegans and meat-eaters are equally intolerant. I agree with Sara. What is the problem?

July 22, 2010 at 8:46 pm |
  13. Sara

I'm a vegan. I don't impsose my diet on anyone. If someone wants to eat meat then that's fine. Just please don't tease me about my choices. We are adults for goodness sake. I love to cook and bake. Whenever I have company over I must feed them. :) I don't make it a huge issue to say that everything is vegan. But if im asked, I'll be honest. I find that you can make an entire meal with no animal products and no one will really notice as long as its tasty.

The ethical reasons for a veg diet is to reduce the negatice impact one has. Everyone knows that it is impossible to completely erase death and suffering. But the effort is what counts. Changing your diet is just one way to do this.

I just wish everyone would respect each other's choices.

July 22, 2010 at 4:59 pm |
  14. Octopus

The fact that we can even make a choice on what kind of diet we want is amazing in itself. I'm a vegetarian, but if I had nothing else to eat I would eat animals out of necessity. It's just that I have the capacity to decide I don't want to eat meat, and I can do something about it because other foods are available to me. I don't harass other people for eating meat, and in return I expect them not to be rude by waving meat in my face (literallly) or taunting me about it. If you respectfully ask why I'm a vegetarian, I tell you without preaching and emphasize that it works for me. I do it because I believe it's the best choice for myself, not necessarily for other people. Do I advocate it? Sure, but it's not my place to decide what other people do with their bodies. My boyfriend eats meat and we're respectful about our differences, but he has to cook it himself, mostly because as a vegetarian I don't even know how to prepare meat!

July 22, 2010 at 3:02 pm |
  15. Ken

I'm a vegetarian (not vegan, I'm not giving up ice cream) by choice, but my wife is not, nor are our children (9 and 4). At home my wife often makes vegetarian meals for all of us, but when she makes non-veg meals for her and the kids I just find something for myself. They've usually eaten before I get home from work anyway.

When we go to friends houses for dinners or parties, most of them have something veg prepared for me, along with amyone else who would rather eat it than the otherwise available dead animals. But if they don't, I don't make a fuss about it; I'll eat bread, or salad, or whatever is there (not including the dead animals). I figure it's my choice, not theirs, so I don't expect them to go out of their way for me. Besides, they always have beer (that's vegetarian) and my wife can drive home.

July 22, 2010 at 2:18 pm |
    • Rippo

Ken,,,, honestly... there is some REALLY amazing vegan ice cream out there .... Coconut Bliss is ridiculous, Its Soylicious, you cant tell the difference and the fat/cholesteral levels will surely be a plus for your diet. Dairy is very toxic...

July 22, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
      • nikanika

Oh I second the Coconut Bliss! And I hate coconut, but am allergic to milk protein, so there aren't that many choices. Except Trader Joe's Soy Cream in Cherry Chip=the best thing close to Ben and Jerry's Cherry Garcia, ever!

And have you tried Daiya cheese yet? Awesome. Cooks and tastes so close to the real thing. The only thing that gives it away is the texture isn't quite stringy enough. All that casein must give real cheese the snap back it has that vegan cheese lacks.

July 23, 2010 at 2:35 am |
      • VeganGirl

It is intesting to see that this topic is turning into a pro or anti veganism one. I for one am obviously pro-veganism. It is the better solution for humans, for the animals and for the planet. However, I realize that we live in a very imperfect world in which we can only do our best. Sadly, there will always be cruelty. All we can do is try our very best to reduce the amount of cruelty we support with our dollars. That is why I only eat vegan, and for household items, I do everything I can do avoid products made with animal ingredients or tested on animals. As for people comparing veganism to a religion, I see what you mean as it is something that goes far beyond food and it comes straight from our beliefs. It is a personal choice, and although I try to avoid preaching to others, I gotta admit that tend to do it without realizing it. My family and friends are very supportive of my decision though and I am lucky enough to be dating a vegan man, making our meals together easier to figure out.

July 26, 2010 at 11:16 am |
    • Liz

It is also polite to bring a vegetarian dish with you to share. That way you can be sure to have something you can eat, and it avoids a lot of potential awkwardness. At the same time, you can be an ambassador for vegetarians by proving that not all veggie food is tasteless crap. Most of our food is really really awesome! Yesterday I had ricotta and spinach ravioli in a wonderful mushroom sauce and a delicious gelato for desert! A wonderful vegan meal is fresh gaspacho soup, full of tomatoes, cucumbers, jalapenos, cilantro, etc (the way I make it at least). Mmmmmm...

July 26, 2010 at 11:24 am |
  16. Talgrath

If I'm preparing food, chances are good I'm grilling something as I'm a pretty terrible cook; but I'm perfectly willing to toss a vegetarian/vegan friendly fake meat thing on the grill and some veggies as well. I may not support vegetarians and vegans (after all, no matter what you eat you're killing animals either directly or indirectly) but it's simple enough to make vegetarians and vegans feel at home. With all of that said, if you eat some bizarre macrobiotic or raw food diet, I'm sorry but I won't help you, you chose to eat in a weird way and I won't bend over backwards to help you; the only exception I might make is if the individual has some sort of serious disease that requires a special diet.

July 22, 2010 at 1:52 pm |
    • Rippo

Its odd to hear that a "friend" wont try to make a special meal for a friend knowing that they dont eat certain things. It may also be important for you to learn that alot of vegetarians dont eat meat but of ethical reasons and to "throw on a veggie" on a grill that has been plastered in the flesh and blood of dead animals will most likely not be edible for most of us. I know it may sound like alot, as I was a carnivore for a long time, but the reality is there that when you actually look into how what you put into your body and those you love the thought of dead decaying animals all over your food is really gross and a horrible thing to ingest from our point of view. It may also serve you to know that the NUMBER ONE most carcinogenic food is barbecued animal flesh.. Not sure that matters to you but ... a thought.

July 22, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
      • Reykjavik

Yes. You are exactly the type of person that does not get invited to my home.

I usually make a few meat free side dishes. Some people don't eat meat, some people don't like the particular type of meat I am cooking. I am not forcing them to eat it.

However, it is absolutely obnoxious to accept an invitation over somebody's house for dinner only to whine that the vegetarian dish the host has gone out of their way to provide for you was "cooked on the same grill as dead animals". and demand that the host make an entirely vegetarian meal when vegetarians are the minority of attendees or create you a special snowflake meal prepared on special snowflake crockery served on special snowflake plates with special snowflake utensils. Completely out of line. Don't go to the party if that is how you feel.

Also save me the sanctimonious lecturing. I am an ex-vegan. I developed a severe B12 deficiency. My hair started falling out, I looked like skeletor, I had a deathly grey pallor, dark circles permanently around my eyes, muscle wasting, horrible bad breath, mental confusion, depression, extreme fatigue. My body could not survive on a vegan diet.

July 23, 2010 at 9:54 am |
  17. KJ

I've never once had a friend accept an invitation to dinner predicated on whether meat is going to be served. I don't eat meat, and I don't cook meat. And no one has ever refused to come over because we don't serve it. That idea just seems absurd. Furthermore, I don't require my friends to cook me vegetarian meals. Very odd set of arguments going on in the comments above. Who are these people's friends? What's the big deal here? Eat meat, or don't eat meat. I don't eat it because it grosses me out. What you do is your own damn business.

July 22, 2010 at 1:51 pm |
    • Reykjavik

You are the type of person who will get an invitation over my home (I'm a Omnivore). You will also get an extra serving of my famous black beans (prepared with vegetable broth). :)

July 23, 2010 at 9:58 am |
  18. Angie

Does your fiancee have any balls? Your marriage will probably end in a divorce because of your lack of respect for your husband...

July 22, 2010 at 1:15 pm |
    • Gargi

How is that a lack of respect for her husband. It is nice to see a man give up meat in the home so she can be happy. If only all men were like that....

July 22, 2010 at 5:08 pm |
      • Lori

It might be okay for now..but trust me he'll get sick of it.

July 23, 2010 at 10:16 am |
    • Sara

How is that a bad thing? Its good that they have a mutual respect for each other. Kuddos to you Chiki! My fiance is also an omni. I don't cook or purchase animal products for the house, but I'm also the one who cooks. I make sure to make food he loves. If we go out he orders whatever he wants. No big.

July 22, 2010 at 5:25 pm |
    • Liz

How does him respecting her beliefs mean that he has no balls? My husband does not eat meat around me out of respect, even though I have never asked him to do that. I am not Indian, but I also know of several Hindu Indian families where the wife is vegetarian but the husband is not. The man will eat meat outside of the house, but out of respect for his wife he will not bring meat or eggs into the house. What is wrong with this? If she is nauseated by meat why should she have to be around it? I think it is sweet and romantic for the husband to not want to offend his wife.

July 26, 2010 at 11:18 am |
    • Mak

Agreed....he sounds like he's utterly lacking in both balls and spine. I'd toss the picky B**** out on her vegan ass...there is NO WAY anyone is going to tell me I have to cook outdoors or otherwise adapt to THEIR dietary insanity.

September 27, 2010 at 4:23 pm |
  19. Chicki

I am vegan, but I dont impose it on others. In fact my live-in fiancee is a meat eater. I dont bother with the impassioned arguments on my diet. Even though I am very passionate about it, i have found that you cannot win in a discussion with a meat-eater, not if they dont want to change. It's like arguing about religion or abortion, you are not going to change anyones mind, whichever side they are on.

If anyone WANTS to talk about it in a mature and rational way, sure! but those dont happen very much unfortunatly. I just stay out of it. If someone picks a fight with me about my diet, i just walk away. They are the ones that look stupid anyway.

As for what I serve in my house to guests, I do not serve any meat. My fiancee respects my wishes and grills outside if he wants meat. Luckily he loves my cooking. And when i have guests over, i dont serve tofu or seitan or anything that might be construed as 'scary' vegan food. In fact, i have people over very often for dinner, my friends love my cooking!

But no meat in my house. I wont pick a fight with you, but i dont want meat around me either.

July 22, 2010 at 12:57 pm |
  20. msocal

sorry the line about many athletes being vegan or vegetarian is plain bull. First it is completely a relative term. Is a lot 10 is is over 50% of athletes in a give sport? Any athlete that is a vegan will be a horrible athlete, there is no way you give up a superior protein source (eggs/meat) and still perform at a high level athletically. You can drink protein shakes all day but there is no substitute for for the real thing.

There may be some vegetarians out there but it still isn't "many" in the field of sports.

the fact is animal protein is a natural and healthy part of a normal diet. Eating 5 lbs of red meat every week is not and Americans eat too much meat in general but the idea of throwing it all out is hogwash.

July 22, 2010 at 12:51 pm |
    • Rippo

"Any athlete that is a vegan will be a horrible athlete,"
      These POOR athletes ask you to reconsider;

LAnce Armstrong
      Martina Navratilova- Champion tennis player
      Mike Tyson
      Mac Danzig UFC/MMA champion
      Joe Namath
      Bill Pearl four-time Mr. Universe
      Dave Scott holds the record for most Iron Man World Championship victories ever
      Billie Jean King
      Carl Lewis
      Hank Aaron

July 22, 2010 at 1:08 pm |
      • Rich

Mike Tyson only recently became a "vegan" he was not one when he actually had a sports career. 10 out of millions. not a good ratio

July 22, 2010 at 1:32 pm |
      • msocal

"These POOR athletes ask you to reconsider;
        LAnce Armstrong ,Martina Navratilova- Champion tennis player ,Mike Tyson
        Mac Danzig UFC/MMA champion, Joe Namath, Bill Pearl four-time Mr. Universe ,Dave Scott holds the record for most Iron Man World Championship victories ever, Billie Jean King, Carl Lewis, Hank Aaron"

Sorry Rippo once again the vegan front gets it wrong. I said VEGAN athletes many on those list haven't been proven vegetarians much less vegans although many sites erroneously claim they are. Not to even mention whether they became veggie/vegan after they left the sport (tyson).

Even if everyone of them was a vegan it still goes back to the original message of my post not many high level athletes are vegan/vegetarian.

July 22, 2010 at 3:17 pm |
      • msocal

Tyson only became switched this year
        Bill Pearl only won 1 of his 4 MR. Universe titles after becoming lacto-ovo (not vegan)

Mac Danzig has no UFC championships and his MMA championship was in 2001 before he became a vegan in 2004

Dave Scott did indeed win many Ironman comps but his last two came after he was no longer a vegetarian or vegan (changed 1992)

Carl Lewis didn't become a vegetarian (not vegan) until 1990
        Hank Aaron has never been proven to be vege or vegan

Namath and BJK where vege not vegan and Namath did it while in his career not before.

July 22, 2010 at 3:54 pm |
  21. Tif

You're**

July 22, 2010 at 12:49 pm |
  22. Texas Pete

I ask this question:
    If a vegan was going to be serving a meal to a group and I let them know beforehand, would they be willing to accommodate my meat inclusive diet? I have my doubts.

July 22, 2010 at 12:26 pm |
    • Katcha

Pete, your doubts are justified the thing here is-vegans cannot eat certain things so therefore there is the problem with what to give them when you want to be a host, I understand you are an omnivore so your diet is not restricted, you can eat a vegan meal just fine, if you have allergies to certain things then I'm sure anybody would be willing to accomodate you, so look at vegetarians and vegans as you would at people with allergies, while you can eat all their food, they can't (won't) eat some of yours. Most vegans avoid animal products due to ethical reasons, you would expect a Muslim to cook you pork, would you? So that's almost the same case

July 22, 2010 at 12:34 pm |
      • Rippo

Well said Katcha but do you think your point with accommodating a "Muslim" to someone named "TEXAS PETE WHO SLAUGHTERS COWS FOR A LIVING" will get the most accurate reply.. ; )

July 22, 2010 at 12:41 pm |
      • David

His name is actually "Texas Pete" – do you think we should expect well reasoned accurate commentary from someone who could get that so wrong?

July 22, 2010 at 12:44 pm |
    • Rippo

Texas Pete... Tell me how a veggie meal would go against anyones belief system? IS that all you got? Really??
      THe answer is No... there is no chance as it goes against our beliefs and yours if you were to look more clearly I would bet.. As mentioned in other replies a VEGAN meal is a "COMMON DENOMINATOR", even if you choose to eat meat you can also eat veggies.
      You also responded "As a dedicated "omnivore" who has raised and slaughtered his own cattle, I still fail to see the problem with eating meat."
      Can you share with us how much grain/feed (most of which that is fed to cattle is HIGHLY unnatural for them as a species to eat- they dont eat grain which is the reason why we have the strains if EColi that we do as you know Pete). Can you share how you see that it is more efficient to eat 18 lbs of grain and all the water (1500 gallons) it took to produce one pound of beef? Really Pete.. It is uncomfortable for you to wrap your head around this as it challenges not only your knowledge but your way of making a living. I understand but it doesnt make it right. I will then go back to the most important piece of info... IT IS UNNECESSARY TO EAT MEAT WE EAT IT OUT OF HABITUAL PATTERNS>>

July 22, 2010 at 12:39 pm |
      • Tif

Your a dick! lmao

July 22, 2010 at 12:49 pm |
      • Texas Pete

We had grass fed cattle, so we only gave them grain in the winter when there was not enough grass for them to survive

July 22, 2010 at 12:51 pm |
    • Eve

That is true prob. not- I have a few vegan friends who will not eat meat let alone touch it. for their personal ethical reasons etc...

July 22, 2010 at 12:40 pm |
    • Texas Pete

You see, to me, that would be them forcing their beliefs on me just the same as if I told them that they could eat the ketchup I have for the burgers. I personally would not force a vegan to eat meat even though I don't believe there is anything wrong with eating meat, so why is it right to force me to follow their views?

July 22, 2010 at 12:50 pm |

PETE REALLY???
        YOUR QUESTION WAS:
        "If a vegan was going to be serving a meal to a group and I let them know beforehand, would they be willing to accommodate my meat inclusive diet? "
        You really dont see the point? Would you REALLY be FORCED to eat veggies? Is it something that you jsut dont do because of your love for vegetables and the suffering they endure? You are just not seeing it which is the position of most carnivores I have experienced, including my family. I am not "yelling" now I am sharing.. Your lack of understanding of what it means to Vegetarians is the thing that we face daily. It isnt the easiest thing to deal with and you being one who has killed probably tens of thousands of cattle in your life may find it hard to understand. Maybe this is a profession that you were aroundmost of your life, grew up in, but I just dont believe that you can honestly sit back and really think about how a meal of vegetables is offensive to you and why if it is TOTALLY against my beliefs to harm torture and slaughter an animal that I should cook it for you. Do you REALLY consider that to be a logical, thoughtful and considerate perspective? WAIT... dont answer yet.... THink about it..

July 22, 2010 at 12:58 pm |
      • Texas Pete

Seriously??? I used to raise a few cattle (20 or so a year), got out about 10 years ago, but one thing we never did was torture them. And one of the things I hate is how every vegan seems to make these absurd claims. I don't know if it is a culture thing or what, but claiming that meat is torture is extremely offensive to me, and most of the people I know. Sorry for any hurt feelings, but if I am ever invited to a vegan's place for dinner, I am going to either eat before I arrive, or bring food with me.

July 22, 2010 at 2:36 pm |
    • Liz

A vegan or vegetarian wouldn't cook meat because it is nauseating to them to handle dead animal body parts. Is it such a big deal for your to have a salad or a steamed veggie that hasn't been cooked with animal fat?

July 26, 2010 at 11:11 am |
  23. Ruth

I'm a vegetarian. I let people know, but also tell them not to fuss too much. There's always something I can eat and when I go to someone's house it's for the company not the food. I can always grab something later if I need to.

July 22, 2010 at 12:21 pm |
  24. mars

The Macrobiotic 'way of life' definition is sound bited; It is INCORRECT- DO YOUR RESEARCH!

July 22, 2010 at 12:21 pm |
  25. FoodEater

Isn't it nice to know that we in the developed world have enough food that people can choose to subsist on one of these arcane diets?

July 22, 2010 at 12:12 pm |
    • Chris R

Excellent point. It's only in a society which is awash in resources and food are we afforded the luxury of deciding that somethings just aren't worth eating.

July 22, 2010 at 2:28 pm |
  26. JD

I don't eat any animal meat or byproducts. I also don't eat vegetables, because plowing ground to grow them kills worms and bugs and rodents–not to mention the vegetables themselves. I also don't eat bread because it's made with yeast, a precious living organism. I also don't eat fruit or beans, because they are also covered with bacteria and other precious organisms. Further, I don't walk on the ground to avoid crushing any insects underfoot, nor do I breathe air that contains microbes that may be killed by my immune system in my lungs. I call my lifestyle "supercalifragilisticcveganism". You normal "vegans" are just a bunch of murderers!

July 22, 2010 at 12:11 pm |
    • Rippo

Would love to see your thoughtfullness and creativity go into sincere insight into what you eat. The point is that as a VEGAN we are eating as responsibly and healthy as possible. Some of us do it for health some of us do it for ethical reasons most for both. It is irresponsible to continue the lifestyle we have adopted in our culture. We waste over 52% of the food we create (UN stat), the livestock industry is the single largest pollution industry on the planet ABOVE the ENTIRE transportation industry. Have you ever considered if your body is actually INGESTING the food you shove into your mouth? I would bet not. Most of us dont. I didnt for most of my life. And then if you are... who are you listening to. Are you listening to the "healthy/healthier" suggestions of doctors who in FACT MOST HAVE LESS THAN 1 CLASS FOR 1 SEMESTER IN THEIR ENTIRE EDUCATION IN MEDICAL SCHOOL ON NUTRITION? Yeah... seems like the food industry is working out great for the medical industry on our sick nation.. JD.... use your head for more intelligent debates. Its not realistic for you to think we, as VEGANS, dont kill anything.. its about balance, necessity, and how we can be more thoughtful. Kinds like your monlogue except our creations will make a great difference in this lifetime and your intention was just to piss someone off...

July 22, 2010 at 12:19 pm |
      • JD

Hey buddy, calm down! I was just joking. Burn some incense and say some "oms"... maybe put "Live Dead" on! .......joking again!. I don't doubt that a vegan lifestyle is healthier. I just think it's funny when it reaches this ridiculous "one-upsmanship" where you've got to prove that you harm even less living things than next guy, to the point of worrying about unicellular fungi and bacteria and Higgs Bosons or whatever that you can't POSSIBLY avoid killing just by being a large mammal on Earth!

July 22, 2010 at 12:29 pm |
      • David

You can't say doctors don't know what they are talking about but cite "many athletes(boxers, MMA/UFC, bicyclists, all sports)" as an authority. Also, our culture didn't "adopt" meat eating. Also, from an environmental point of view, the agricultural industry has just as poor of a record in how it treats meat as in how it treats plants. Also, "VEGAN" is not a deity.

July 22, 2010 at 12:31 pm |
      • Reykjavik

As a former vegan, I assure you that you are not eating "the healthiest way".

Also vegans do kill things, they kill plants. The taking of life for sustinance is necessary. You cannot avoid it.

If veganism is so healthy...why did it almost kill me? After 2 years of consuming no animal products, I wasted down to a dangerously thin weight. I am 5'6, I weighed 110lbs. My immune system gave up, I was constantly sick. My skin, once flawless became sallow, dry and took on a deathly grey pallor. My beautiful shining hair became limp and started to fall out. My eyes became sunken and dark circles surrounded them at all times. I lost most of my muscle definition and tone. I also suffered diminished mental capacity, depression, fatigue, and bursts of anger. These were all caused by a B12 deficiency. B12 is only found in animal products. Save me the speach on nutritional yeast, I tried that and it tasted horrific and did very little to help.

If you do not feel comfortable eating meat, do not eat it. It is your choice to eat whatever you like. You do not have the right to lie to make yourself feel better and browbeat other people into making tour choices. You do not have the right to lie about things that affect other people's health.

You are not a better person because you choose not to eat meat. No person is better than another. Stop looking down your nose at people and maybe you will be happier.

July 23, 2010 at 10:18 am |
    • wondering

what do you eat??

July 22, 2010 at 12:26 pm |
      • JD

A bunch of poisonous crap. Seriously, you would not BELIEVE the garbage I eat.

July 22, 2010 at 12:34 pm |
      • Eve

Fooood...(
        Has anyone seen 'Twister' where that guy goes 'Fooood' with his hands making o's :p Makes me hungry :)

July 22, 2010 at 12:36 pm |
    • Eve

Haha =) True

July 22, 2010 at 12:35 pm |
    • Rippo

You sound like you do "eat a bunch of crap" as you say as well as spew it. Your replies are ... well... shouldnt you be at camp? Honestly... Your arguments hold no water and offer nothing of relevance. Your point is that we are trying yo "one up" you.. IS that what you hear? Sounds like you may agree.. THe point as youmake, is that we are all killing at all times.. VERY true but why does it threaten you so much that others would take a point of view that at least 3 times a day we can behave/eat without suffering/killing or at least with the most minimal impact. IS that something that really sounds so threatening to you? Is it something that you feel you are not capable of based on habitual behavior or ignorance? No judgement just a sincere question to you. Do you just love the taste of things so much that you are not willing to consider the impact of your choices? Do you honestly feel that eating "crap" as you suggest you do, is really admirable, wise, useful, thoughtful? Could you be more intelligent and realistic with your choices? Will you search for a hole in my debate or will you consider these words as possible growth or is it easier to continue as usual since you have thought, researched and considered so deeply about your choices of your actions? Too heavy? Do you see the choices of most of our community in this country one of been deeply and thoughtfully educated on what they feed themselves and the ones they love? Have you ever learned how the things you eat have an affect on you and your surroundings? Wait.... you said " Seriously, you would not BELIEVE the garbage I eat." Sorry wrong guy???

July 22, 2010 at 12:50 pm |
      • JD

Dude! This level of anti-cool may call for a drum circle! Put on "Billy Breathes", stat!

July 22, 2010 at 1:09 pm |
      • Alex

Unfortunately in your post you show what many people dislike about vegans... You label meat-eaters as not "admirable, wise, useful, thoughtful". From a person just starting out into vegetarianism, i have to say: NOBODY LIKES YOU SAYING THIS! It is annoying, elitist, arrogant, and closed-minded, just as closed-minded as the people who make jokes about vegans. You are no different than an evangelist Christian, and veg-evangelists make me ashamed to use the word vegetarian to describe my eating habits (along with making me very hesitant to stop eating meat)

July 22, 2010 at 1:15 pm |

ALEX...
        If you choose to make an argument please dont take things out of context here is what was said based on what JD said
        "Do you honestly feel that eating "crap" as you suggest you do, is really admirable, wise, useful, thoughtful"

So you support his statement about his admission of "eating garbage". I didnt say it he did. Sorry you dont like to hear IN A COMMENT ROOM a comment supporting a vegan lifestyle that others are commenting on as well. THere is nothing elitist about it ... I will say that I havent met but a few, and I mean literally probably 3, that are carnivores that actually have researched what they eat. Honestly. Im sure there are more out there. I will say that there are also only a FEW Vegetarians that HAVENT looked into what they eat thoughtfully and I dont mean on the ethical end. THat is clearly obvious when you look at how obese and ill our nation is. You really cant argue that one. And considering that the VAST majority consumes tons of meat dairy, sugar, processed over cooked irradiated food you can imagine how we have this state of ill health and lack of REAL knowledge and insight into what we put into our bodies and those of the ones we love..

July 22, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  27. Pete

I find it funny that the poll question doesn't have a "yes" answer. If an acquaintance that is vegetarian came to my house for dinner, I would oblige them.

July 22, 2010 at 12:10 pm |
  28. Jay305

I've had the situation arise where I invited some co-workers for a dinner-and-a-movie at my place. I found out one of the wives was vegan, but didn't impose her diet on others. I gave her a call and was very honest with my ignorance of her diet and what to prepare. Then, I asked if she'd be interested in coming into the kitchen and helping me out with something that she could eat. Not only did she do it, she gave my wife and I a stack of recipe's to try out for ourselves. Most of them have been really good, so far.

July 22, 2010 at 12:07 pm |
    • Rippo

Awesome JAy.... that is perfect.. Most of our culture here is not used to that type of diet so your efforts are perfect. I wish you well and hope you consider eating like that more often.

July 22, 2010 at 12:11 pm |
  29. Chris C

What about people who only eat meat? Bring me the whole cow and carve it up in front of me, yum!

July 22, 2010 at 11:59 am |
    • Eve

Carne Asada omg..from a random Taco Truck...soo good...or the Kogi Truck out here in SoCal- Delish

July 22, 2010 at 12:38 pm |
      • Liz

I'm a vegetarian, but I definitely enjoy bean tacos from the taco truck or delicious Salvadorean pupusas from the pupusa wagon. Mmmm... loroco and cheese! See! Vegetarians like food too! I just can't eat meat or I get very constipated!

July 26, 2010 at 10:51 am |
    • C.P.

People who only eat meat? They are known as "eskimos"

September 27, 2010 at 10:20 am |
  30. Tony

I'd be willing to prepare something for them, as long as someone else said, they accept my eating meat.
    The problem I have with so many VEGANS, as opposed to vegetatians, their belief is almost a religious fervor, and they insist on trying to make you feel guilty for eating meat or any product made from animals. They always try to tell you why their way of eating, is better for you, and more importantly to them, more moral.

July 22, 2010 at 11:56 am |
    • Rippo

I hear you Tony. I am a VEGAN and guilty of that at times. It is not out of resentment or anger towards others, as I was a meat eater for many years, but it is with such an immense amount of knowledge and common sense when looked from another perspective that make us feel compelled. Honestly, we eat what we do based largely on convenience and socio-ethnic habits right> Im Italian, so my family loves things that make you fat, unhealthy, tired, and in the creation of the meals, contains the largest amount of suffering and waste of resources. For instance... the GUlf oil spill.
      Average US meat diet = 1.1 gallons of oil/day = 401 gallons/year
      Lacto-ovo vegetarian = .83 gallons of oil/day = 303 gallons/year (25% reduction over meat diet)
      Vegan vegetarian = .60 gallons of oil/day = 219 gallons/year (45% drop over meat diet)
      Average US meat diet requires 1.2 acres land
      Lacto-ovo vegetarian diet requires .85 acres of land
      Vegan vegetarian diet requires .61 acres of land
      (study at Cornell University)

So just that alone is of concern. My father also did not have double bypass surgery because he ate too much broccoli!! So why are we so SINCERE... because we care for you, and for the voiceless... NOT fair.. If you saw what the life and death of what you ate was about I would bet you wouldnt partake. Most VEGANS have REALLY looked into food on many levels. I have NEVER heard of a Vegan dying because he was VEGAN. SURE there are many Veggie/Vegans that can get sick like any of us we buy into the AMerican processed diet but the reality is that if we ate what is natural to our NON CANINE TEETH HAVING LONG INTESTINED body we would not be eating what we do. We are the sickest nation for many reasons and CLEARLY it is becaue we consume WAY more animal protien than our body can absorb and the big point, it is unnecessary to consume any if you are thoughtful and wise about what you eat. Not to mention.. I have not had as much as a sniffle, fever, headache, anything for almost 10 years as a veggie.. Just a thought... No reason why you couldnt try for a month...

July 22, 2010 at 12:09 pm |
      • Texas Pete

July 22, 2010 at 12:22 pm |
      • Rebecca

Hate to break it to you, but a lot of us know what happens behind closed doors to our meat... and we still eat it. And just because I eat meat doesn't mean I'm unhealthy... I eat a very balanced diet with lots of fruits, veggies, grains and meats, and when I can I try to stick to organic/natural options, both for myself and for the kindness to that which I'm eating.

Now here's a question for you... why aren't you a fruitarian? What, just because that carrot isn't screaming and bleeding all over the place, you think you aren't killing it? Not only that, but consider all of the pesticides and illegal immigrants being worked for below-minimum wage to get that carrot on your table...

That's why I can't stand the holier-than-thou attitude of vegans. You obsess over the animals and ignore the fact that you're killing those plants.

July 22, 2010 at 12:34 pm |
      • Andrew

Meat is brain food. Proteins gave us the internet, commercial air travel and the Apollo missions. The reasons you state are good reasons to not eat the meats that we do but not good enough to cut out meat entirely. There are many foods that vegans don't eat that are harmless to the world. Eggs. Cheese. Milk. You can eat these and if you do it intelligently no creatures will be harmed. I find it difficult to believe the latest dietary study and have found that they very often contradict earlier studies. So I have found the best diet and it will always be consistent. Use common sense. I'm going to call it the Common Sense Diet. You moderate you food intake and eat a variety of food. I think I will revolutionize the nutrition with this idea.

July 22, 2010 at 12:41 pm |
      • David

Vegetables are not capable of suffering, therefore they are outside the realm of moral concern. Your point about what is required of those for which we do have moral concern (illegal immigrants in poor working conditions) is much stronger.

July 22, 2010 at 12:41 pm |
      • Gargi

I absolutely love you Rippo. You put the words right out of my mouth.

July 22, 2010 at 4:59 pm |
      • Liz

Hear hear! I am a vegetarian and pregnant and I still get a ton of flack from meat eaters that think I am hurting my baby. I probably eat more protein a day than they do, because I am conscious of what I am eating. I can't eat meat because it makes me feel sick when I eat it. Stop treating me like a freak because I am different! I am with you on Italian food. I feel so sick after I eat most of it, unless it is a lovely pasta dish with fresh tomato and basil sauce. Yum! I dno't understand how people can eat so much meat and drink so much as well and not feel like complete crap all of the time. I ate like that before and I felt so sick and constipated when I did!

July 26, 2010 at 10:45 am |
    • Katcha

I'm a vegan and althought I don't impose my belief on anybody it seems like people get uncomfortable eating meat when a vegan is present, maybe it is because they realize what is actually on their plate in front of them, maybe it's guilt I don't know but I don't have to mention a single thing except for ordering something without any animal products and the whole company suddenly orders something "lighter", it may be meat but it's going to be fish and not a huge steak (I'm in TX). I'm fine with that-they get a healthier meal and maybe they start thinking more about the source of their food, clothing etc.

July 22, 2010 at 12:28 pm |
      • Alex

It's out of respect for your choice. I don't eat meat in front of my vegetarian friends because i respect their decision (and i don't want to hear them complain... but that's only ancillary).

July 22, 2010 at 1:05 pm |
      • Gargi

I'm with Alex – I think they are just being considerate. I'm vegan in Texas so there are not a lot of people with my dietary habits, but when I do eat out with friends, they order less "meaty" stuff I guess so I don't feel "left out." I never do, as you, as well as other vegans probably understand, but I don't think they get that not eating meat is not a very big deal to me as it is to them. I'm talking about my friends who have to have meat at least once during the day to properly function, so for them to hear me say that I do not eat meat at all sound like I am an alien or something. But really it is not a big deal to me. I don't stop them from eating meat in front of me – I have already told them countless times.

July 22, 2010 at 4:53 pm |
    • vegandrea

What I really want to know is where are these militant vegans that everyone speaks of? When I go over to someone's house what I would really prefer is that they just don't even try to cook food for me. Unless they are familiar with vegan cooking it's a bother to the host, and chances are they'll go out to get some soy cheese/meat product which is not tasty and still contains animal products. I don't want to be that person that refuses your non-vegan food, cooked though it was with good intentions.

July 23, 2010 at 9:46 am |
  31. Rippo

If you look at that Wiki article it is really funny. First it is a diet derived from ages ago but in the picture they include a "seafood stew" that number 1 is cooked and number 2 has a cream base. Back then we knew nothing of eating another animals milk. Also they suggest that REFINED sugar as part of the deal. That just screams stupid. Most of us know the origin of refined sugar but many honestly know how it has affected our communities. We are dying from it. I stick to a diet that is free of any animals or their fluids(VEGAN). First, because it is TRULY unnecessary for our health, COMPLETELY. I have MANY friends that were born into a VEGAN household and many for decades plus. THere are many athletes(boxers, MMA/UFC, bicyclists, all sports) that dont touch the stuff. It is also the greatest contributor to pollution, a massive waste of resources (18lbs of grain per 1lb of meat.. how does that make sense), and the industry is just horrific to animals of which I feel we should not be torturing for our fat asses. Really!!! We waste over half the food we produce so why include poor animals raised in hollocast conditions to be killed for our OVEREATING FAT SICK WORLD, especially here in the USA... just some thoughts... If you agree with http://www.meat.org then go kill it yourself and dont waste a drop... Oh.. lastly ,,, most of your religious beliefs will clearly show that it is ont of the most uncompassionate acts that we do as a species on this planet for the creatures that were created by your God's...

July 22, 2010 at 11:53 am |
    • David

You misread that. The diet excludes grains, legumes, dairy products, salt, refined sugar, and processed oils. That seafood dish will not have been made with a cream based sauce, but nice job going off the deep end there.

July 22, 2010 at 11:58 am |
      • Reallynow

Way to be a complete douchebag there. Go away troll.

July 22, 2010 at 6:23 pm |
    • harvard2010

We are animals. Animals eat other animals -always have. That will not change. The human race has been sustained for some 80,000 years with this understanding (there are no indigenous civilizations in recorded history with a vegan diet). Diets like the one you suggest are much more mental than they are physical, and most of the 'reward' is mental as well. You're absolutely correct about our over consumption, and horrific treatment of animals. We should work on those things without the need to be extreme. Veganism just isn't for everybody. And most of us don't have the time to engage in such purely pedantic pursuits.

July 22, 2010 at 12:20 pm |
    • Anon

Just for the record, 18 lbs or grain per one pound of meat is entirely inaccurate, several times higher than actual feed conversion rates. I have no problems with people who make lifestyle choices that are different than mine, but don't expect everyone to share your views. I am a sixth generation farmer and livestock producer and can tell you that I am proud to grow high quality foods and meats that nourish my family and others.

July 26, 2010 at 10:39 am |
  32. joselo23

A few friends of mine have a dinner club going. We all have certain dietary restrictions (vegan, no gluten, no cheese, etc.) some of them self-imposed, some of them doctor recommended. We have found great fun in brainstorming what a delicious and nutritious supper would be while adhering to all restrictions. No longer seen as an obstacle, our food landscape has broaden due to this. Meals are always satisfying and utterly delicious.

July 22, 2010 at 11:52 am |
    • Rippo

That sounds graet but I would offer a thought. I have run into this often at many parties and the thing we are all adopting a VEGAN meal for al gatherings. Why? First and foremost with everyone considered it is the COMMON DENOMINATOR, EVERYONE, or at least everyone we know and have run into, can eat fruit, vegetable, nuts, grain, etc.. THe other thing to consider is that as a group we are making an impact on the lives of others. THe meal we eat came at the least amount of use of resources, is clearly the healthiest, least amount of torture and suffering of other creatures, least amount of pollution to create it from seed to plate, and offers us beautifully vibrant rainbow of things to eat with little to no greasy nasty bi products of cooking flesh and fluids of dead animals. .

July 22, 2010 at 11:58 am |
      • David

You can avoid all of the "nasty bi-products" of cooking dead animals by cooking live ones! Yum!

July 22, 2010 at 12:18 pm |
      • Texas Pete

If I was going to your party, I would eat before I arrived. It would probably be rude to bring my taco bell into the house.

July 22, 2010 at 12:19 pm |
      • Liz

Mmmmm... tofu and veggie stir fry with brown rice! For raw vegans, a delicious gazpacho soup and a wonderful salad!

July 26, 2010 at 10:39 am |
  33. flg

I have always found people to be very accommodating to me being vegetarian. Also, though, I do my best to make them realize that if I am visiting, it is to enjoy their company. Yes, people have made the occasional error, but again, i know it is a strange concept to some people and try to appreciate their efforts. If you are concerned about the diet differences, I would suggest going out to a restaurant, bringing something to share, or offering to come early to help cook together.

July 22, 2010 at 11:50 am |
  34. Chelsea

The opposite of the Macrobiotic Diet should have also been included – The Coeliac (or Gluten-Free) Diet, although that diet IS necessary for those with Coeliac Disease to follow and has been endorsed by medical communities. It is still a little known disease, however, so it's a shame it wasn't mentioned in the article.

July 22, 2010 at 11:49 am |
    • Kat Kinsman

That's actually going to get an article of its own!

July 22, 2010 at 11:55 am |
  35. David

Great article, very informative! I would add to the list the paleolithic die: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paleolithic_diet. This has become very popular among exercise enthusiasts – especially people involved with Crossfit.

July 22, 2010 at 11:39 am |
  36. JamieinMN

I respect others and the way they want to eat. I would most definitely accommodate to someone's restrictions. But please, do not criticize me because I am not like you and don't share the same views. This goes for religion as well.

July 22, 2010 at 11:36 am |
    • Liz

I am a vegetarian and a Christian and for some reason a lot of mainline Christians attack me for being vegetarian. It seems like if meat was good enough for Jesus to eat, it should be good enough for me. I am a veggie because I don't digest meat very well. Also, the though of eating a dead animal is kind of repulsive to me.

July 26, 2010 at 10:37 am |
  37. JRR

As long as they let me know before hand I would be happy to attempt to accommodate them, I would probably ask for recipes and advice if I was unfamiliar with the dietary restrictions. However, if you show up to a meal and then tell me that you only eat certain foods prepared a certain way, please don't expect me to run out and attempt to fix you an impromptu meal. A little common curtsy both ways is appreciated.

July 22, 2010 at 11:19 am |
    • JRR

"common courtesy"*

July 22, 2010 at 11:22 am |
    • Chiffonade

As long as a guest makes a special dietary need disclosure upon being invited, he or she can be confident an appropriate meal will be served at my house. It is not difficult to accommodate different dietary styles.

An omnivore – eats everything, no problem.
      Vegetarian – Vegetables, no meat, no fish.
      Lacto/Huevo Vegetarian – Vegetables, no meat, no fish, but will eat eggs, cheese (and other products that originate from animals but the animals are not killed or harmed in the collection process).
      Pescetarian – Will eat fish but no meat.
      Vegan – While this can be a challenging diet to accommodate, it's not impossible. It is the most restrictive diet. Vegetables ONLY – no meat products (i.e. cheese, eggs).

If you have a favorite dish to prepare for company, you only need to translate it to the proper dietary program and make the adjustments.

i.e Chicken Cutlet Parmagiana. An omnivore will be very happy with this. (Chicken, tomato sauce, cheese.)
      Pescetarian – make it cod parmagiana or another firm fish. (Fish, tomato sauce, cheese.)
      Lacto/Huevo Vegetarian – make it eggplant parm or zucchini parm. (Eggplant or zucchini with tomato sauce and cheese.)
      Vegetarian – Most Veggies will not scoff at cheese so the same dish would fly as the Lacto/Huevo Veggie Version.
      Vegan – some type of vegetable like eggplant, zucchini, perhaps mushrooms, tomato sauce and SOY cheese.

Low carb = no bread, flour, and some hard core low-carbers won't eat carrots. Not fond of this diet in the least.
      Low fat = Try not to add too much fat to your cooking if you know someone is avoiding fat.
      Low salt = Use Mrs. Dash or Pepper or some other spice blend to ramp up flavor.
      Diabetics – Consult the diner and ask questions – food exchanges, preferences – if you want you guest to enjoy dinner at your house you have to be willing to do a little research.

No diet is really impossible to accommodate if you'd like to offer a friend with special dietary needs an invite for dinner.

July 22, 2010 at 7:03 pm |
Pinterest

| Part of

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 7,331 other followers