5@5 - Chef Bryan Caswell
July 22nd, 2010

If you live in Houston, Texas, chances are you've eaten some of Chef Bryan Caswell's food.

A native Houstonian, Caswell grew up in the same Gulf Coast region where he now owns REEF, Little Big's and Stella Stola.

Caswell was named one of Food & Wine Magazine's "Best New Chefs" in 2009, and was most recently nominated for a James Beard Award for "Best Chef: Southwest" in 2010.

It's obvious Caswell knows a thing or two about what makes a good chef - and where you find the foundation for a talented cook, according to him, may come as a surprise.

5 Reasons You Always Hire a Cook with Waffle House on His or Her Résumé: Bryan Caswell

For more insight into the mind of Chef Caswell, have a gander at his "Gulf Seafood+Southern Food" blog, Whole Fish, or follow him on Twitter.

Posted by:
Filed under: 5@5 • Bryan Caswell • Celebrity Chefs • Classic • Favorites • Think • Video • Waffle House

Next entry »
« Previous entry
  1. Mary

I myself have worked for WH for 20 years: cooking, and serving SOME ungrateful people. Love WH food and it takes a special person to do what we do at WH and to put up with so much. But I'm with TJ in this situation when I went looking for other jobs and put the words WAFFLE HOUSE on my resume people would close the book there and look no further, but I bet most of those who interviewed us at the time ate at WH that day and got the BEST customer service they have ever received. I also agree with Angel,I myself have pulled lots of hours at WH and so did my mother and my husband, Yes we all worked there my mother on 3rd shift, I was on 1st and/or 3rd and my husband was a manager and then a district. Love the people at WH but am not trying to go back there. WORK TO DEMANDING!! for those still there KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK you are a special person and don't let anyone tell you anything else!!!!

November 14, 2012 at 6:27 pm |
  2. Tex

Two eggs, scrambled, double order scattered, smothered, covered and chunked with toast. Half and half tea. WH is the SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!! F all the haters

November 5, 2010 at 3:10 pm |
  3. Debbie

Whenever I'm in a Waffle House, I always watch the cook. It's a fascinating display of efficiency. Most of the food there is too fattening for me, so I don't eat there much, but I love it!

July 26, 2010 at 10:51 am |
  4. Sharon

Thank you Chef Caswell for your positive thoughts on Waffle House cooks. It's past time that people got over thinking that all WH cooks are on drugs and undereducated. We, myself included, thank you very much!!

July 23, 2010 at 3:31 pm |
  5. ThatBelle

Everyone's commentary is entertaining me...but I'm bummed that I can't see the original post. I don't know if the website is having issues or my computer...but there's a big blank where it should be. Oh well, will try again later. Happy Friday everyone!

July 23, 2010 at 11:22 am |
  6. Lee Hartman

Bacon Lover's BLT and a bowl of Bert's Chili! Waffle House is the greatest!

July 23, 2010 at 11:19 am |
  7. Renee

You snobs must shop at my grocery store too – complaining that we 'hire the retarded', then I smile when you are out of work and applying for a job here. I LOVE WAFFLE HOUSE. I've been eating at the one nearest our house since it opened. They've watched my kids grow up, from even before I was pregnant with them. Everytime I opened the door I am greeted loudly and pleasantly. They know my name as I know theirs. Even when the staff have moved on to other jobs – if we see each other in public – we greet each other and share the news of our lives. What you snobs need to do is respect everyone who works hard, and respect Waffle House for giving everyone a chance to change their lives. Hope you all are never out of work, but then there's always Waffle House....

July 23, 2010 at 10:19 am |
  8. Rick McDaniel

Food, is more about wanting to cook well, than about artistry. Presentation, is highly overrated.

July 23, 2010 at 9:48 am |
  9. TJ

Is really nice to see someone in the food industry that is not bigoted towards Waffle House staff. I was a mgr with them for many years but when I decdided to leave and started looking for another job, people would see WH on my resume and just immediately write me off. I have all my teeth; I do not have bags or circles under my eyes. The only drug I have ever used or abused in my entire life is COFFEE-and I no longer even drink caffeine. I also am a professional with many other professional qualifications including being an airplane pilot. Yet people just mentally write you off, Very unfair. It got to the point where I put my WH franchise name on my resume instead of the WH name and I had much more success finding a job. Sad but true.

July 23, 2010 at 9:15 am |
  10. TJ

Angel YOU GO GIRL. Thats exactly what Im talking about. People dont realize that in a 24 hr a day restaurant there has to be staff there NO MATTER WHAT. Usually the poor manager or her family if she is lucky enough to get them to work there.

July 23, 2010 at 9:03 am |
  11. TJ

Brandon thats an OLD OLD joke and its 6 legs, 4 breasts and 2 teeth....the whole 3 breast thing is pretty impossible unless youve been a cancer patient..

July 23, 2010 at 9:01 am |
  12. Angel

I am a Master Grill Operator Veteran of 20 years. I worked 3rd shift for the whole 20. And I got news for you SNOBS. The reason alot of us have bags under our eyes is so we can make sure that someone is at work 24/7 to serve ungrateful customers like you everyday of the week. There was times I would work 2 sometimes 3 shifts at once and I didn't complain. I kept my area clean. My store was spotless. My staff was friendly. If u want to complain about the food , well stay out of our Waffle House's. I would have customers show up at my store on my days off wanting me to cook, the salesperson would call me at home and I would drive there just to cook for them. WH people have dedication to their customers unlike some of these grease pits. So unless you have walked a mile or shall I say cooked a $2700 friday night by yourself with 3 salesperson running around doing their job then sit down and shut the hell up.

July 23, 2010 at 9:00 am |
  13. Marcella

alll of the people bashing Waffle House needs to shut their mouth!!! i work at one in Fayetteville, NC. and it may seem dirty, but we are open 24/7 rain or snow... we never close so there is hardly a time we can really clean to your perfection.. but we make due with the time we have, its is the true definiton of souther hospitality, as far as looks go, have you EVER heard of the term "dont judge a book by its cover"? as "Frank" stated pple need to stop being such snobs... pple work hard for their money there, the waitresses have to be a waitress, hostess, buss boy, and a dish washer all at the same time and i we have pple come to work as a cook at waffle house tht worked at other restraunts and cant handle the work or the pace...and i am saying this as a salesperson / cook / door corp( hostess)... so unless you have personallly worked at a waffle house in your life time, dont talk abunch of junk about something you dont know about... this job has help me pay ALL my bills while i was at school and has also helped me become the hard workin person i am... i had this job since i was 16 and im almost 21 and if you EVER stop thru hope mills waffle house in NC will will see tht i am no 3 tooth, pregnant drug addict.. nor is the whole staff tht works there.... and as far as pple having bags under their eyes, most of the pple workin there work more than one shift AND the 3rd shift IS 10 hours long.. so im sorry tht most of us r tired cuz we work the longest shift for 4 or more days a week

July 23, 2010 at 6:28 am |
  14. Frank

I have always enjoyed eating at Waffle House. I am glad Bryan Caswell recognized the attributes of their cooks. Yes it is true Waffle House could be considered sort of "blue collar " but we need stop being snobs in this country....it is not part of our heritage.

July 23, 2010 at 12:23 am |
  15. rebecca

as a wife of a WH manager and also a salesperson....don't judge a waffle house on all there people...good workers are so hard to find it is a low paying and very hard job.....stop by any sat of sun and you will for sure get the best....GOOD FOOD FAST AND FRIENDLY.....DINNER & A SHOW...if you ever find yourself passing through Ga on I-75 stop in exit 345....hope to see you soon ....

July 22, 2010 at 11:04 pm |
  16. Jack

My wife and I were driving from Atlanta GA to western Canada qa few years ago ans while going through Arkansas on Highway 20, found a Waffle House for a first time experience. I ordered a pork chop, two fried eggs sunny up, hash browns , toast and coffee. While I was waiting for my order I was scanning the menu and found an item called GRITS something I had never heard of. I asked the waitress how they are eaten and she explained. Finally my order arrived and I dug in. The eggs were perfect, the pork chop I could cut with my fork, hashbrowns, toast and coffee were unbelievably good. When I got halfway through my breakfast the waitress arrived with a small bowl of grits so I could sample them, they were different, but quite good depending what you put on them. To sum up, everything in that WH was perfect from the food to the staff. We hit two more WH's on that trip and they were excellent as well, we'd eat there anytime.

July 22, 2010 at 9:47 pm |
  17. C J

As for myself...I don't do drugs, .I have all my teeth, i am an adult, have 2 medical degrees....AND WORK AT THE WAFFLE HOUSE. You can say what you want, its called an opinion. But for someone to sit here and talk about toothless drug addicted pregnant teens that work 3rd, let me say it sounds to me like you tried to get a job there, and couldn't.....

July 22, 2010 at 9:19 pm |
  18. Jim K

This is great. I'm now an ER physician, a U.S. Naval Officer, a father and a cook, but I got my start many years ago in a Waffle House. Besides working in a busy, inner city ER, working as a cook (aka "grill operator") was, hands down, the busiest, most hectic and difficult job I've ever had. I tended to work weekend mornings or the graveyard shift when the clubbers and drunks would stumble in. Having to remember 10-16 separate orders in my brain at a time with no ticket as it was called out to me by the waitress was difficult enough much less having to cook it just right. It only takes a few seconds for over easy eggs to become over medium....or well done while your tending to multiple orders on the grill, or for a waffle to be too cooked. Hats off to these guys. The food really isn't terribly nutritious, but is good quality and it darn sure tastes great!! Service is usually very friendly too.

July 22, 2010 at 8:47 pm |
  19. Linda D

Waffle House rocks!!!! My waffle house in Sumter SC, is the cleanest, friendliest, place you would want to eat at ! Love the staff, love the food.

July 22, 2010 at 8:40 pm |
  20. reallynow

Oh, how I love me some Waffle House. I travel down south just to stop there and eat. They can cook for me any day.

July 22, 2010 at 8:37 pm |
  21. Elizabeth G.

Best. Pecan. Waffles. Ever. The Waffle House rocks – would eat there anytime!
    I love that it is this Houston chef's standard for good training. Only in the South ...

July 22, 2010 at 8:31 pm |
  22. Josh M

I ♥ Waffle House! =P I don't care how greasy the food is, how many teeth the chefs have, or if they have bags under their eyes. You shouldn't be judging anyone by the way they look. They have great food, and everyone I have been to has been very clean, including the bathrooms. Those chef's work long crazy hours and out in front of everyone. I have always had some crazy fun waitress whom always seems to be having a good time, and that's so important. I'd rather have the "crazies" than the "lazies." =P

July 22, 2010 at 8:09 pm |
    • Steve Ogletree

Absolutely ! ~ Veteran Waffle House Grill Operator

July 22, 2010 at 8:47 pm |
    • Steve Ogletree

Absolutely ! ~ Veteran Waffle House Grill Operator / Lawrenceville,Georgia

July 22, 2010 at 8:50 pm |
  23. Michael

I love Waffle House, but my spouse thinks it is awful. Each to their own. If I had a restaraunt to choose from, and I wanted value, and speeed, Denny's would be first, then Waffle House. I think IHOP has gotten really expensive.

July 22, 2010 at 8:04 pm |
    • Former Wee Hours Diner

Denny's for fast service???!!!

WH is the bomb, ate at many over a couple of decades in the South, even the worst weren't bad, just overworked and a bit behind after hours of heavy business, such as just before a holiday.

But as someone who used to eat breakfast a lot in the wee small hours after being out for the night, I can say that I have spent COUNTLESS hours in Denny's during the FEW times I ate there, always waiting longer there than anywhere else, with the possible exception of the worst of Italian Garden restaurants. Slower than molasses, and the help would drag butt and fool around while the customers waited for their orders to come out piecemeal, and cold from sitting under "hot" lights too long.

The only good experience I ever had at Denny's was the night I met my wife at a community meeting for the first time, and after the meeting broke up I invited her out to breakfast. I deliberately chose Denny's because I knew I would get to spend at least two or three hours with her before we could get our food and leave - and I wanted to have the chance to spend as much time as possible that night with the lovely and intelligent (and much sought after) woman I later married.

And Denny's (Annandale VA) didn't fail me...think it was close to three hours start to finish, and we got there well before the bars starting turning out people...I don't know how they manage to make a profit there. Haven't been back since and don't miss it a bit.

But I sincerely wish we had a WH near us in S. Jersey - I'd take my family there at least a couple of times a month. Great variety, great service, friendly and courteous too, topnotch cooking of quality foods. Nobody ever got healthy eating "image" food at a "trendy" restaurant...love WH food and people, and I am a former independent IT consultant now retired, with two advanced degrees. (Also, I was a Royal Castle grillman/asst. manager to earn money for college, so I know quality high volume restaurant work when I see it. And WH is second to none.)

Former Wee Hours Diner, now enjoying eating at home with my family, but still craving WH whenever I find one.

PS Nearest I know of is about an hour away, in the town of North East, MD.

November 14, 2012 at 7:11 pm |
  24. talliana

I don't know about elsewhere but in Orlando most of the employees of Waffle House are either on probation, ex-cons, etc. Used to work for corrections and we saw many of our inmates in there working.

July 22, 2010 at 8:03 pm |
    • Best Waffle house cook in the nation.

Waffle house gives great people a second chance in life.Thats what you are doing if your a great probation officer.Giveing people a chance to get their lfe on track.if not you should quit your job

November 15, 2012 at 2:15 pm |
  25. Kyle

ugh...Waffle House. They're only good for an enema

July 22, 2010 at 8:00 pm |
  26. Sharon

Waffle House # 1707 Lincolnton NC. Sanitation grade 101.5, previous grade 100.5. The employees here, to include myself, take pride in our Waffle House. No, we do not do drugs as it is Waffle House policy to screen prior to hiring and random anytime after. We have fun with all the customers and do our best to make sure everyone enjoys their experience at Waffle House. To all of you who visit us regularly, I have to say THANK YOU! Hope to see you again soon!

July 22, 2010 at 7:50 pm |
  27. Juni

Waffle House rocks. The employees work HARD - none of that McDonalds fast-food style laziness. The food is good quality at a great price. Hashbrowns scattered, smothered, covered & diced....

July 22, 2010 at 7:47 pm |
  28. MarcTipp

The worst time to go to Waffle house is on a Friday night around 3am reason being is u have these young adults getting out of their preferred clubs drunk and high off life and whatever drug their using!!! So as long as your in and out before then u should have a good experience!

July 22, 2010 at 7:43 pm |
    • MinaLee

No, that's the best time. You're sober and you get to laugh at their antics. Trust me, I'm a veteran of 3am WH runs. :)

July 22, 2010 at 8:09 pm |
  29. MarcTipp

The ham & Cheese Omelete with Extra Cheese OMG!!! With the Hashbrowns hooked up with ham grilled onions bellpeppers and Cheese OMG!!! and two Plate sized Waffles to top everything off OMG!!! With a tall glass of sweet tea!!! Man I wish i was at one right now thats my order almost everytime sometimes I do the T-Bone with 4 Scrambled eggs with extra cheese and the 2 Plate sized waffles OMG!!!! Now thats eating folks and at anytime u want it!!!! Can't get better than that!!!

July 22, 2010 at 7:40 pm |
  30. me

Waffle House demands a lot out of their employees. The pay is the worst. I know people who make more at McDonald's. As far as hiring anyone with WH on their resume you need to ask what shift they worked, and what days they worked it. I worked Tuesdays, Fridays and Saturdays at night as a second job and that's where the skill comes in when they pile in out the clubs at 3am and Saturday and Sunday mornings too.

July 22, 2010 at 7:32 pm |
  31. MarcTipp

Waffle House is the bomb!!!!! I'm from GA and we have Waffles houses on damn near every street or highway there. I moved to Philadelphia and I have'nt seen one since I've been here!!! When is one coming to Philadelphia because I would be one of their best customers no lie!!!! I love Waffle House!!!

July 22, 2010 at 7:30 pm |
    • Semirra

Here in the North we do not have waffle houses but IHOP (International House of Pancakes) and trust me once you try it you will forget all about those nasty little waffle houses!

July 23, 2010 at 8:45 am |
      • Lori

I agree! I love IHOP, never been to Waffle House but when I was a teenager thats where we met the guy selling pot lol! My husband and I sometimes get a baby sitter at night and just drive the 20 miles to IHOP and just sit and laugh and talk all night long! It's a tradition!

July 23, 2010 at 10:00 am |
    • Former Wee Hours Diner

Next time you are heading south out of town from Philly, head out of Wilmington off 13S onto 40W. Not much traffic once you get by the Wilmington airport, and its only about a half hour or less from there to North East MD where there is a good WH on the left side at a major intersection. Hope you get a chance to enjoy it.

November 14, 2012 at 7:17 pm |
    • Former Wee Hours Diner

Marc,

Sorry, think I replied to the wrong post last time. If you want some WH from Philly, next time you are headed S on 95, take 13S to 40W in Wilmington, and hit the WH in North East, MD. Then you can cut back over to 95 by going north from the WH about a mile or two, on the Nazarene Camp Rd. that crosses 40 right by the WH. You will only lose about ten or fifteen minutes total going that way, and will get some of the real deal WH food.

November 14, 2012 at 7:26 pm |
  32. Toni Mangipano

Everybody knows your name kindda place, I love it and I'm glad I can watch the chef/grill-ops at work, another thing is they aim to please so have it your way at he Waffle house, and meet some friends to boot. American as apple pie which is delicious heated up on the grill. Awesome and inexpensive, and fast. But not fast food. You can actually be on a diet and eat at the Waffle House!

July 22, 2010 at 7:24 pm |
  33. JEANNE

I don't know about down in the south but over here in the southwest the better the area the better the waffle house. i love there food use to have a roommate who worked there and he would make the best chilli out of all the wonderful greasy meat they have there. yummmie!!!!!!!!!

July 22, 2010 at 7:18 pm |
    • Steven

Same thing in the south...what I like about our local WHs is that we are in a smoke free area...when you remove all the cigarette smoke from WH it is actually clean...ish.

July 22, 2010 at 7:24 pm |
    • Kyle

It doesn't matter where the WH is located in Florida (which is on every street corner), They all give you diarrhea.

July 22, 2010 at 8:01 pm |
      • SoonToBeGrad

If you eat the right (or, wrong) stuff of course it will.

I agree with Jeanne, the nicer the area, the nicer the WH. I went to one in Podunk (I don't remember the town's real name, but Podunk describes it well) and we left after 45 minutes of waiting on DRINKS, and I regularly go to WHs in college towns and they're all fabulous and spotless (for the most part).

July 22, 2010 at 8:07 pm |
  34. Jenn

Waffle House is my religion. There's nothing else like it. In what other chain restaurant do you get greeted - every time - with a big, hearty "Good Morning"? Yeah, you sometimes get to see your cook's prison tatts. Yeah, you leave the place smelling like waffle oil. But you LOVE it.

July 22, 2010 at 7:17 pm |
  35. Reen T.

It's true. A short order cook must be good & fast. Good for the Waffle House cooks too! Waffle Houses are very clean places to eat too :D

July 22, 2010 at 7:16 pm |
  36. Becky

Read Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain. You will learn that most kitchens are bastions of grunge and sin, at least Waffle House doesn't over charge you for it.

July 22, 2010 at 7:02 pm |
  37. garyprovencher

aint nuthin better than the Waffle House. Hash Browns "all the way" baby (you WH fans know what I'm talking about). Good food, friendly fast service, great price. Not for every day eating due to the fat content, but a once a week treat is fine.

July 22, 2010 at 6:58 pm |
  38. khos2007

Waffle House is one of the best places to eat! If you could see the rat balls and roaches in other "higher" scaled places you'd agree.

July 22, 2010 at 6:57 pm |
  39. BeanTownDave

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree, it's not about where you've worked, EVER!! The best Chefs I've met are self taught, artistic minds, no schooling. This guy is like Thomas Keller(French Laundry, Napa CA) only hiring people with bachelors degrees, no joke! Because it shows commitment...right...that or mommy and daddy paid for you to go to school. Resumes mean nothing, actions always speak louder than words.

July 22, 2010 at 6:55 pm |
    • DrAl

A good resume is your action that speak louder than words.....not sure what jobs you have held that you think experience doesn't matter. Maybe night shift at WH?

July 22, 2010 at 7:11 pm |
    • SoonToBeGrad

They call it "earning" a degree for a reason, and Mommy and Daddy's money isn't it. I know PLENTY of people with money and no degree; Mommy and Daddy's money can't keep you in school if you fail every class, and there's plenty of people out there working their tails off to graduate. Money doesn't mean squat if you don't have the commitment to finish it.

July 22, 2010 at 8:04 pm |
      • John

It's too bad that right now a degree means nothing to the guys hiring. I have graduated from a culinary school with a degree, and the owners that did not, actually looked down on me. My first job was peeling vegetables. Yet the guy next to me openly smoking blunts was doing actual cooking. Crazy world.

July 22, 2010 at 8:19 pm |
  40. Brad from Kentucky

The waffle house down the street from me is one of the places I frequent the most. I like it because I can actually get good breakfast items 24/7 and that particular one is rather clean. I can see how there would be some that are dirtier than others but I am satisfied with it. Also I can get 3 eggs any way I like 2 pieces of toast and great hash browns (seriously they're awesome...I usually order tham with sauteed mushrooms) for 3.40...isn't that about the going rate for an egg McMuffin these days?

July 22, 2010 at 6:54 pm |
  41. Brandon

Q: What has 3 breasts and 8 teeth?
    A: Night shift at Waffle House

July 22, 2010 at 6:51 pm |
    • Jess

LOL

July 22, 2010 at 7:48 pm |
  42. Chris

Waffle House is disgusting..the food is literally congealed fat covered in grease, fried up and served to you by a 15 year old pregnant girl. I will never eat there.

July 22, 2010 at 6:49 pm |
    • Steven

Good...less of a wait for me! :-p

July 22, 2010 at 6:51 pm |
    • Chris

If you want a breakfast type place that is open late go to Dennys instead, their food is passable, and their menu is better.

July 22, 2010 at 6:58 pm |
      • Steven

Dennys does have some good breakfast. The 'regular' items on the menu on the other hand...not the best.

July 22, 2010 at 7:22 pm |
      • Dude

Every time I have eaten at Denney's I got food poisoning! Like three times in a row from three different Denney's. No thanks for the 'Grand Slam' if you catch my meaning. Go Waffle House for the win!!

July 22, 2010 at 8:37 pm |
    • Angel

Chris " YOU ARE A DUMB ASS"! I cooked for WH for 20 yrs and How do u get greasey from a grill top. Eggs maybe! But a grill top come on dude. The crap rolls off. If u got greasey food it's cause they pour the oil on top of it. DID YOU PISS SOMEONE OFF THERE?

July 23, 2010 at 8:39 am |
  43. Steven

It's not a southern thing, WH cooks from all over are missing teeth. As for the dark circles...they work at night! That being said, I agree that I would rather SEE WHAT THEY ARE DOING when they cook food before I enjoy it. And even though they are known for their breakfast foods, try a cheeseburger there...you won't be dissapointed.

July 22, 2010 at 6:48 pm |
  44. james

I want a big order of hash browns right from the ring ...smothered, ham and served by a big fat waitress with a loud laugh. i love Waffle House, plus Kid Rock might show up and whoop some ass.

July 22, 2010 at 6:45 pm |
    • Wendy

You can not have hashbrowns straight from the ring smothered and chunked (ham) that would be scattered, smothered, and chunked. LOL I couldn't help myself. I worked for Waffle House as a server, my store was very clean and my cook nor I was on drugs.

July 23, 2010 at 8:59 am |
  45. dan

do you realize how many waffle house chefs are on drugs??? seriously... go to any waffle house down south, like in georgia or florida, and go to waffle house at night... look at the dark bags around the employees eyes, and look how many of them are missing teeth!! a lot of these chefs are on crystal meth. i stopped eating there when i really started looking at the employees....

July 22, 2010 at 6:36 pm |
    • Chris

You are right, I knew a lot of kids from my high school days who worked at waffle house and most of them were into drugs. Im not sure about meth, but whatever.

July 22, 2010 at 6:57 pm |
    • E

How is that different from any other restaurant?

July 22, 2010 at 7:17 pm |
    • SoS

Do you realize how many people named dan are on drugs? I mean seriously, you pretty much can not trust anyone named dan because so many of them use dope and make crazy posts on the internet with nothing to back up their drug induced stories.

What you just did is akin to racism and demonstrates your ignorance my friend. I go to several different Waffle House locations regularly. The places are always clean, well kept, and the service is excellent. Just because you live somewhere where dope fiends run rampant doesn't mean the rest of us do. I have no idea whether any of the Waffle House employees I see regularly use drugs or not but the fact is they do their jobs well.

Maybe you should try a different Waffle House or stop being so judgemental because someone has bags under their eyes....

July 22, 2010 at 7:29 pm |
      • gennette

Now that you mention it... pretty much everyone I know named "Dan" is in fact on drugs. Good observation!

July 22, 2010 at 8:19 pm |
      • Deanna

LMAO

July 23, 2010 at 5:15 am |
    • Ann

Well I am almost offended. lol I work at Waffle House as a cook and waitress. I have been there for 2 yrs. I started out as a 3rd shift cook now i work first shift. You are right. Alot of the 3rd shift staff do drugs. It's hard to find good people to work that shift because of the people that come in to eat. It's a very hard job believe it or not. Don't judge everybody from the few you have seen. I'm working on my own catering service now, and in college about to start in the nursing program. I dont' do any type of drug besides cigs. Don't judge Dan.

July 22, 2010 at 8:30 pm |
  46. chaunchy

Dirty kitchens is a way of life in a restaurant. It's the way it's been for ever. How do you think they can cook your food and other tables food in a few minutes? Otherwise, you'd be camplaining about how long it takes. trust me, even if you knew the full disclosure on how things are done in the kitchen and did not like what you see, you would still go back cause the smell of bacon is soooooo irresistable:)

July 22, 2010 at 6:34 pm |
  47. Sherry

@ Greg_ Sir, I don't know where you're from or what program you watched but I can attest that I would eat at the Waffle House in my town anyday over some of the other places around here! i have never gone in there,night or day, that it hasn't been sparkling and clean. The sanitation rating is 101%..way higher than the McDonald's! And the staff is pleasant and friendly-not a bunch of kids who act like waiting on me is a major inconvenience to them! I think I would worry more about a place where I COULDN"T see the kitchen and the staff washing their hands right in front of me!

July 22, 2010 at 6:33 pm |
    • Ann

You said it Sherry!!!!

July 22, 2010 at 8:35 pm |
    • Big D

Sherry,

You're totally right !

-however-

I've seen some pretty disgusting WH's in GA and AL - 'unsanitary' is an understatement.

July 23, 2010 at 2:54 am |
  48. Greg

Yuck – a TV program I watched showed how The Waffle House was one of the most unsanitary places to eat, worse offense were cooks handling raw bacon and not washing hands then making toast.

July 22, 2010 at 6:18 pm |
    • Ann

Well Greg how do you really think food is prepared in all restaurants? If you really knew you would eat at home for every meal.

July 22, 2010 at 8:34 pm |
    • PK

Greg, you realize bacon isn't raw right? There's no such thing as "raw" bacon. If bacon is raw, it's called pork belly. To become bacon it must be cured with salt (which effectively kills the majority of bacteria) and in many cases smoked for days. You can eat any bacon you buy from the supermarket straight from the package with no fear of disease. I know Russians and Serbs who only eat their bacon raw. I personally don't enjoy it raw but it's not dangerous. It's much more dangerous eating a sunny-side-up egg.

July 22, 2010 at 8:48 pm |
    • Angel

Greg I dunno what Waffle House they was speaking of But the one's I worked at.. I am a Master Grill Operator of almost 20 yrs. But I know we were very clean and everyone washes their hands NO MATTER What! Or we would where gloves and change them with each handling of the meats we never crossed contanament any foods.

July 23, 2010 at 8:32 am |
    • TJ

Well then thy went into a poor location choice. I managed WH restaurants for years and mine were VERY sanitary. They could go into almost ANY chain restaurant at a given point and time and have a bad experience if the time is right. My cooks washed their hands every time they touched meat before they touched anything else. Period. Its an open kitchen-you can watch your food being made. A better set up than most places with a closed kitchen. Watch the movie Waiting. Its over the tope but somewhat true for some places.

July 23, 2010 at 8:58 am |
  49. Ryan

Yeah, I remember that girl from Hell's Kitchen who worked there and they all made fun of her and treated her like garbage, but she could out-cook almost all of them with no training or experience outside Waffle House.

July 22, 2010 at 6:00 pm |
Next entry »
« Previous entry
Pinterest

| Part of

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 7,297 other followers