Where butch meets buttercream
July 21st, 2010

With slogans like "Butch it up, Buttercup," and "These ain't your grandma's cupcakes," Butch Bakery and its founder, David Arrick, want the stereotypically dainty cupcake to beef up its pastry bag.

Six of the 12 cake flavors involve some sort of alcohol - whether it be brandy, whiskey, beer or Kahlua - and each Butch Bakery creation is topped with a camoflauge-, wood grain-, plaid- or other macho-patterned chocolate disc.

"Men like to eat," he said. "I'm not saying I'm not going to go for a cupcake with a peony on it."

But, if given the option, "a guy is going to go for the one that has camo or plaid on it."

Read the FULL STORY

Posted by:
Filed under: Bite • News • Restaurants • Trends

Next entry »
  1. gigi

i hate gender stereotypes, but this is kinds funny. what's wrong with decorating cupcakes the way you want? you have to admit that cupcakes usually are decorated with bright colors, including pink, just like a lot of things are. what's the big deal? it's not that men can't eat regular cupcakes. what if it's for a boy's birthday, or for your husband for fun?

July 31, 2010 at 7:08 am |
  2. Aeria

Who cares what the decoration is? It has CHOCOLATE on it. Make it an equal opportunity cupcake to me. Gimme!

July 27, 2010 at 12:09 pm |
  3. Behemothxp

so wait... WOMEN in here complain about a product aimed at the stereotypical male?

Woha, hypocracy much? You have whole product areas specifically designed for individual women. Jewlery, make up, clothes. Yes even food for the "woman of now" or the "women of the 21st century!" and you really complain about a product for the male stereotype....? Do you even think before you type or did you just plain assume that THIS is worse than golden-plated ice cream, diamond dusted nail polish and hair products that cost 200€ a can?

July 26, 2010 at 10:08 am |
  4. Leah (TXanimal)

Oh no, the trolls are here...HIDE THE FUN!!!

Do you people not realize you're arguing about CUPCAKES??? Relax before you sprain something...

July 22, 2010 at 11:32 am |
  5. Dustin

This is hilarious, all of the females are trying to either stick up for men and not being so stereotypical or bashing on us. All the guys are just like effin A, I love alcohol and meat! Yes girls we like that kind of sh*t, get over it. "Boys will be boys," true statement. Get used to it..

July 22, 2010 at 9:33 am |
    • Dustin

Oh, and for the record: I don't think a "houndstooth" pattern is all that manly..

July 22, 2010 at 9:39 am |
  6. Morrigianna

Wow, people need to learn how to relax, it is food and fun, what more can anyone ask for?

July 21, 2010 at 7:20 pm |
  7. Batie

YUM – Gunpowder cupcakes!

July 21, 2010 at 6:19 pm |
  8. Dan

Wow... I was kind of excited and interested in these cupcakes... then I read the comments a lot of people made... and I was really disheartened...

... then I realized; y'all are damn crazy!

Getting in such a snit over someone being creative with pastries- seriously? You go ahead and argue- while your jaws are busy flappin' I'll be stuffing my face with cupcake-y goodness! Chocolate, beer and pretzel- I'll take a six-pack to go! :)

July 21, 2010 at 5:36 pm |
    • aatami

Hey Dan, easy there big fella, I don't think anyone is too serious about this story. I think it's kind of funny myself anyway, I don't think any self respecting man would not eat a cupcake because it didn't look macho enough. If someone out there is concerned about how their sexual identity is perceived based on the baked goods they might eat, well then Dan....there's a bit more to be concerned about, wouldn't you say?

July 21, 2010 at 5:45 pm |
  9. Sgurl

My boyfriend has absolutely no problem eating regular cupcakes, but I can see the excitement on his face now when I tell him someone makes bacon flavored cupcakes. I mean why not why shouldn't we make something that is already great even better, I have to give 2 thumbs up to this innovative idea! :)

July 21, 2010 at 5:23 pm |
  10. aatami

I'm a man's man! I need balls on my cupcake! I mean, errrrr......uh.

July 21, 2010 at 5:19 pm |
  11. Ashley

And....I would LOVE a cupcake with some sort of alcohol!

July 21, 2010 at 4:56 pm |
  12. Ashley

Tracy

If a man is not going to eat a cupcake because he thinks it will shrink his balls, then he should just not eat cupcakes. This whole idea is ridiculous. It is pathetic to stereotype men as people who can only eat products slathered in meat and alcohol.

July 21, 2010 at 12:07 pm

Tracey I understand and agree with what you said but if cupcakes were made only in this fashion and then someone started making "girly" cupcakes I am sure women would be excited for them also.

July 21, 2010 at 4:53 pm |
  13. Artist_535

We are really arguing over the manliness of cupcakes, and how it is gay to enjoy them...

And we wonder why the rest of the world thinks we're insane

July 21, 2010 at 4:40 pm |
  14. mar

MAN CAKE!!! MAN CAKE!!!!! MAN CAKE!!!

ooohhhh... sorry, to many cupcakes made of used car oil and moonshine. MACHO MAN CAKES.

July 21, 2010 at 4:16 pm |
  15. mar

They should call them MAN-CAKES :)

July 21, 2010 at 4:14 pm |
  16. Juni

As a gay man, I think these are ridiculous. Give me a normal, delicious cupcake, not one with a horrible camo pattern on it or freakin' woodgrain. Ugh.

July 21, 2010 at 4:05 pm |
  17. Ace of Cupcakes

macho, macho cupcake...I've got to be...a macho cupcake....

July 21, 2010 at 4:03 pm |
  18. DL

Wow, Tracy is a moron

July 21, 2010 at 4:00 pm |
  19. MadHatter

I don't care how it looks, as long as it's loaded with sugar and covered with thick icing.

July 21, 2010 at 3:54 pm |
  20. Nikoli

Fact: Forums regarding articles about manly cupcakes are the perfect place for certain people to sound really opinionated, witty, and/or deep (Good job Tracy and Deven!!).

Now where can I get me some of these cupcakes that make your weiner bigger??

July 21, 2010 at 3:28 pm |
  21. Jeff

I'm not going to lie these look good but I don't understand how we put a gender on cupcakes. I know plenty of women who would love these "manly" cupcakes too and I like regular cupcakes just fine... I understand it's a marketing strategy but I have a hard time understanding other men who feel emasculated because of a dessert. Can you say insecure?

July 21, 2010 at 3:27 pm |
  22. Jim

I think I will start a new business and call it Gaybucks, then I will sell rainbow colored cupcakes with fruity coffees. It will be a hit!

July 21, 2010 at 3:24 pm |
  23. Dude

Designer cupcakes! Yeah, that's all we need.

July 21, 2010 at 3:21 pm |
  24. Sniffit

If a guy is concerned that the cupcakes he eats reflects on his manhood and masculinity, I would suggest it's not the cupcakes that indicate a lack thereof, but rather his insecurities with respect thereto.

July 21, 2010 at 3:18 pm |
    • Jim

Shakesspear and cupcakes do not mix.

July 21, 2010 at 3:19 pm |
    • Jeff

Completely agree. The guy obviously is insecure and possibly a sexist jackass

July 21, 2010 at 3:28 pm |
  25. manly man

i want thirty cupcakes wrapped in bacon and flavored with gasoline, football, guns and explosions, with a side of car chases.....yeah manly stuff!!!!!!!

July 21, 2010 at 3:17 pm |
  26. Sonya

She...EXACTLY!!

July 21, 2010 at 3:17 pm |
  27. She

OMG! Aren't there more pressing issues in the world. Let people eat whatever the heck they want to. Good Grief! Reading these make me ashamed to be human.

July 21, 2010 at 3:15 pm |
  28. Jim

Oh Geez!
    Here comes the rainbow cupcakes and blue cupcakes with pockets.
    This is rediculous to say the least. I can imagine someone suing because they do not offer a particular gendered cupcake.

July 21, 2010 at 3:13 pm |
  29. Sonya

I'm a woman and want to try one. You ladies just need to complain about everything. My hubby has no idea how lucky he is.

July 21, 2010 at 3:12 pm |
    • Brown baby

They never know!!!!! LOL!!! These comments are crazy!!!

July 21, 2010 at 3:40 pm |
  30. PmD

A man doesn't want steak, beer and a camo cupcake. A man wants steak, beer and 3 or more camo cupcakes.

July 21, 2010 at 3:07 pm |
    • Texas Pete

Yeah, I like a beer now and again, but how do the make the cupcake fizz?

July 21, 2010 at 3:15 pm |
  31. Texas Pete

All I can say is that if you want them to be called manly cupcakes, they better weigh 2 lbs each!

July 21, 2010 at 3:03 pm |
  32. RaNa

What is a CUPCAKE???

July 21, 2010 at 3:01 pm |
  33. Shep

Ummmmmm.....
    Cuuuuupcaaaakes....

July 21, 2010 at 2:51 pm |
  34. Todd

Men don't care what it looks like – they care what it tastes like.

July 21, 2010 at 2:43 pm |
  35. James

You can give me a cupcake with a flamboyant and sparkling unicorn on it for all I care, as long as it tastes good I'm gonna eat it.

July 21, 2010 at 2:41 pm |