Lunchtime poll – alcohol
July 20th, 2010

« Previous entry
  1. Samantha

‘Miracle’ shot helps protect against hangover, long term health risks to drinkers, say doctors

‘IntelliShot’ from the extract of fossilized resin from 30 million year old Baltic pine trees helps counteract alcohol’s first and most toxic metabolite

August 6, 2010 at 4:30 pm | Reply
  2. McFRATenSTEINS

Oh, I frat hard. To explain binge drinking: Drink til your sick and/or pass the f**k out, then wake up the next morning and get started at it again before you hangover sets in. <– My ivy-league college education in a nutshell. And people wonder why China is going to take over the world... Let me just close with this thought: If fratting (beerpong-ing, bonging, pitcher chugging, f-ing b's, getting your d wet, and gtl-ing, among other things) determined the gdp for our country, we would never have to worry about our economy ever again. Let's make it happen. Frat hard or die trying.

August 5, 2010 at 8:22 am | Reply
  3. Yonkle

hooray beer!

July 21, 2010 at 3:47 pm | Reply
  4. Gargi

I started drinking when I was 21, so I didn't do any illegal drinking. It has been 3 years since and I don't drink as much, but when I do, I really go all out. It's really relaxing especially with the stress of class and grades, etc. I just want to get away from it all. Binge drinking helps, although it is not very wise. I don't care. Don't judge.

July 20, 2010 at 10:18 pm | Reply
  5. CocktailGirl

I look forward to getting likkered up :) every weekend. Used to drink wine, but as I got older it started giving me headaches. Switched to hard alcohol and no more headaches, but curiously, I don't get as much of a buzz as I used to from wine. This happen to anyone else?

July 20, 2010 at 8:41 pm | Reply
  6. geeeboooo

"make it a treat"

July 20, 2010 at 6:29 pm | Reply
  7. paco

explain binge drunk

July 20, 2010 at 5:33 pm | Reply
  8. EdCup

Marijuana is SAFER than alcohol and less addictive than caffeine. Google the Henningfield Benowitz chart.

There has not been a single recorded death cause solely by marijuana use. Ever.

The LD50* for alcohol is about 15 times the usual dose. With alcohol, 15 shots in 15 minutes will kill 50% of adults. In contrast, the LD50 for marijuana is 250,000 times the usual smoked dose.

This is America. We owe ourselves the FREEDOM of choice. Don't drive Americans to drink. Think SAFER!

Google "Law Enforcement Against Prohibition", MPP – the "Marijuana Policy Project", and the "Drug Policy Alliance" to learn more and to help out.

*The LD50 is the median Lethal Dose for adults – i.e. 50% of adults would die if this amount is consumed in a short period.

July 20, 2010 at 5:31 pm | Reply
    • slam damned shit canned

shut the fuck up hippie the grown ups are talking about alcohol, not your shitty devils lettuce

July 20, 2010 at 5:33 pm | Reply
  9. slam damned shit canned

every night's a shit show for me. vodka on the rocks, no rocks please

July 20, 2010 at 5:27 pm | Reply
  10. V Saxena

I get drunk until I pass out twice a week. After a horribly long week of working my butt off, I want nothing more than to relax and just have a GREAT TIME doing it! Keep in mind I used to binge drunk 7 days a week, so if anything, I've actually improved my habits, lol.

July 20, 2010 at 5:11 pm | Reply
  11. geo

3:00pm, time to crack one open :)

July 20, 2010 at 4:52 pm | Reply
  12. IceT

I'm a freak of nature... I'm a 47 yr old male & live in Wisconsin and don't drink alcohol at all and never have. I've tasted it & hate it. I have no problem with people drinking I just hate the taste. Living in Wisconsin and not drinking makes for a lot of harassment so I've learned to tell people "I'm a recovering alcoholic" ... that, is the only excuse for not drinking that people around here seem to accept. It's kinda funny but I'm serious...cheers!

July 20, 2010 at 4:43 pm | Reply
    • geo

I would not drink if I lived in Wisconsin either, yuck, cheese beer would taste horrible!

July 20, 2010 at 4:45 pm | Reply
      • geo

Drinking allows me to survive living in a state (Idaho) full of ignoramus republicans and self righteous Mormons!!! LOL

July 20, 2010 at 4:49 pm | Reply
      • becky

hey geo, you've GOT to try beer cheese and hot pretzels... you'd take back that statement!

July 20, 2010 at 4:54 pm | Reply
      • becky

and, lucky you, Idaho= potatoes= vodka! You're only supporting the local economy ;-)

July 20, 2010 at 4:56 pm | Reply
      • IceT

Beer cheese soup, yes, it actually exists and my wife loves it!

July 20, 2010 at 5:56 pm | Reply
  13. geo

I'm a teacher on summer break, I drink a 6er every other day (New Belgium Ranger). During the school year I only drink on Fridays (6er) and Saturdays (6er).

July 20, 2010 at 4:39 pm | Reply
  14. kim

I'll drink you all under the table.. then dance nude on top of it

July 20, 2010 at 4:38 pm | Reply
  15. jjr1968

SLAINTE !!

July 20, 2010 at 4:36 pm | Reply
  16. Jnice

I drink a half barrel every 10-12 days. I used to drink three 30 packs of week so I bought a beer meister to save a little money. The only thing it did was make me drink more. The only thing that sucks is carrying that barrel up steps.

July 20, 2010 at 4:24 pm | Reply
  17. julie

there is too much blood in my alcohol system.

July 20, 2010 at 4:20 pm | Reply
  18. Hodiggy

I don't drink because I simply don't like the way it makes me feel (I do very much like the taste of many alcoholic beverages though). It makes my legs feel achy and gives me a slight headache and of course impairs coordination. This is also why I no longer smoke pot, it makes me think and feel like I do just before falling asleep, which gets annoying after an hour or so.

July 20, 2010 at 4:16 pm | Reply
  19. Jim

There's a bunch of nancies on these boards. 12 drinks a day keeps the sobriety away!

July 20, 2010 at 4:14 pm | Reply
  20. Rod

Beer is the reason I get up in the afternoon.

July 20, 2010 at 4:14 pm | Reply
  21. Mightaswellbe

BEER! What a great thing to make from grain & hops & stuff. Haven't tried Mead yet but then no one has offered me one. I've drunk beer from Diego Garcia to Siganella Sicily and it's all good, except for that Sing High in Thailand maybe it was just a bad bottle. In my younger years we'd get snot slinging comode hugging drunk just because we could, it was a sailor thing. That was like 40 years ago, I got over it in about five years and now it takes a couple of weeks to go through a six pack. The best Beer I've had? Hmmmm I'd have to say the painted label San Miguel we drank in the PI, 25 cents a bottle, icy cold, hmmm good times. But then again I never made it to Germany to try their beer.
    I go through a couple of quarts of rum between thanksgiving and new years during the Egg Nog season, hmmm yum yum.

I discovered that Hot Damn! a cinnamon based schnapps, think melted down red hots, goes really good with vanilla ice cream :-) Also a couple of glugs in a mug of root beer it is a really good thing. And suprise suprise, root beer schnapps works real good in that mug of root beer too.

But then I'd give all that up if I could go down to the store and buy me some weed. :-) someday maybe.

July 20, 2010 at 4:12 pm | Reply
  22. PiercedPsycho

I drink about every three months and then it's only tequila. I get super giggly and very cheerful, I sleep for 3-5 hours, and then I'm awake for 24 hours. I like the not blinking part the most :D

July 20, 2010 at 4:10 pm | Reply
  23. RoadRage

I drink 7 drinks every 2-3 days. I have fun doing it and have a great life.

July 20, 2010 at 4:03 pm | Reply
    • gin and tonic

I drink about 3 or 4 stiff gin and tonics about 6 times a week. And on the weekends add to that. Coors lights and shots

July 20, 2010 at 5:44 pm | Reply
  24. Seth

@Joe You sound like a wuss. Thanks for the laugh, I read your entire post with a lisp on it!

July 20, 2010 at 3:56 pm | Reply
  25. Pedro

Never trust a person who won't sit down & have a drink w/ you.

July 20, 2010 at 3:52 pm | Reply
  26. George T.

"I drink alone, yeah
    With nobody else
    I drink alone, yeah
    With nobody else
    You know when I drink alone
    I prefer to be by myself

Every morning just before breakfast
    I don't want no coffee or tea
    Just me and good buddy Wiser
    That's all I ever need
    'Cause I drink alone, yeah
    With nobody else
    Yeah, you know when I drink alone
    I prefer to be by myself

The other night I laid sleeping
    And I woke from a terrible dream
    So I caught up my pal Jack Daniel's
    And his partner Jimmy Beam
    And we drank alone, yeah
    With nobody else
    Yeah, you know when I drink alone
    I prefer to be by myself

The other day I got invited to a party
    But I stayed home instead
    Just me and my pal Johnny Walker
    And his brothers Black and Red
    And we drank alone, yeah
    With nobody else
    Yeah, you know when I drink alone
    I prefer to be by myself

My whole family done give up on me
    And it makes me feel oh so bad
    The only one who will hang out with me
    Is my dear Old Grand-Dad
    And we drink alone, yeah
    With nobody else
    Yeah, you know when I drink alone
    I prefer to be by myself"

July 20, 2010 at 3:40 pm | Reply
  27. mjva

I don't drink. I'm an atheist, so its not because of religion.

July 20, 2010 at 3:38 pm | Reply
    • slam damned shit canned

shut the fuck up you self righteous prick

July 20, 2010 at 5:30 pm | Reply
  28. Matt

In a world without drinking:

– The Karaoke machine would never exist.
    – Much of the worlds population would not be here.
    – The questionably do-able girl by the bar wouldn't get the +2 points.
    – Awkward silence would be rampant.
    – That one girl would never have heard your obnoxiously loud version of "Creep" by Radio Head.
    – You would've never had the balls to hump that podium.
    – Chuck Norris jokes would no longer be funny.
    – Wide-mouth toilet seats would not exist.
    – Gatorade would plummet
    – Country music would be faster.
    – We would've never discovered the Asian red-face epidemic
    – That one friend would be pointless to have.

July 20, 2010 at 3:36 pm | Reply
  29. Alan

In the words of George Thoroughgood, I'll have, "One Bourbon, One Scotch and One Beer."

July 20, 2010 at 3:35 pm | Reply
  30. Kistof

I used to drink an incredibly large amount in college, about a handle of Gin or Whiskey a weekend. I have since calmed down and only drink maybe once or twice a month, and it is usually with co workers.
    I would however, smoke marijuana if it were to be legalized. It is a much more enjoyable experience for me. I really enjoy smoking and just thinking about things on a level that is difficult to describe. There is also NO chance of a hangover, NO chance of getting into a fight, NO chance of sleeping with someone I otherwise wouldn't, NO chance of committing embarrassing acts that I won't remember the next day, and NO chance of overdosing or getting toxic THC levels. Besides, THC has shown to have many, many health benefits, and you don't have to smoke, you can vaporize or bake it into foods!
    Sorry, dumb rant of mine, but marijuana's illegality perplexes me and irritates me all at once.

July 20, 2010 at 3:31 pm | Reply
  31. Bill

Yes I drink regularly, a scotch every evening sometimes two, I enjoy the taste, it relaxes me, I escape some things that bother me and enjoy life with a little less stress.......am I dependent on alcohol, I guess yes if I drink almost every day.....do I drink responsibly, yes......do I have to have a drink, no.....do I desire a drink early morning, no......would I want to give it up, no.......could I give it up, it would be hard.

July 20, 2010 at 3:26 pm | Reply
  32. Mark L.

I'll have a Robitussin on the Rocks...LMAO...{:o) I must be the only man alive that hates alcoholic beverages now...Funny thing too...Back in my college days (late 70's / early 80's), I used to drink beer and hard liquor like it was going out of style or something...I used to even enter beer chug-a-lugging contests at places like Art Stock's Playpen off Federal Highway in downtown Fort Lauderdale...We used to get SO DRUNK...LOL

July 20, 2010 at 3:26 pm | Reply
  33. Maryann - Orlando FL

Me too! Drink out of boredom! It's fun.

I'm a pretty happy person, though. I don't really get depressed.

July 20, 2010 at 3:25 pm | Reply
  34. Kookmyer

"I feel sorry for those who don't drink because when they wake up in the morning, that's the best they're going to feel all day". -Dean Martin(I think)

July 20, 2010 at 3:24 pm | Reply
  35. zwoof

i don't trust anybody that didn't used to drink.

July 20, 2010 at 3:22 pm | Reply
  36. Aaron

I do not drink. I find nothing wrong with it, I just do not care for the taste of alcohol in general and its gives me the worst heartburn ever. I also do not smoke cigarettes. If marijuana were legal, I would smoke it.

July 20, 2010 at 3:18 pm | Reply
  37. 1.75L

I drink about a 1.75L of vodka a week thats , not too bad really I work, I pay my bills and I have alot of fun...

July 20, 2010 at 3:10 pm | Reply
  38. Jorge

I would go entirely dry, but the boring, uptight teetotalers in this bible-belt town constantly drive me to drink...

July 20, 2010 at 3:08 pm | Reply
  39. schlep

Recently, I have been drinking a few shots of higher-end clear tequila with a beer chaser almost every day.

July 20, 2010 at 3:07 pm | Reply
  40. angelique

"I drink to make other people less boring." – Christopher Hitchens

July 20, 2010 at 3:05 pm | Reply
  41. Nick

I havent really found a good reason yet to stop drinking! until I do...CHEERS!!!

July 20, 2010 at 3:04 pm | Reply
  42. JS

No wonder there are so many nutty comments here–most of you are drunk!

July 20, 2010 at 2:55 pm | Reply
  43. Turnipghost

Does rum cake count?

July 20, 2010 at 2:54 pm | Reply
    • Sarah

How about tiaramisu?

July 20, 2010 at 3:34 pm | Reply
  44. Norm

Can I get a beer over here?

July 20, 2010 at 2:53 pm | Reply
  45. Tony

One a day. Every day, except when I have two.

July 20, 2010 at 2:53 pm | Reply
    • Mightaswellbe

Now that is one honest statement.
      Cheers Tony.

July 20, 2010 at 4:18 pm | Reply
  46. justhere

I use to drink, mainly red wines and a few magaritas here and there. Would have a couple when out for dinner or out with friends, just to enjoy. Never got drunk. But recently a horrible event happened to my husband that envolved drinking (happened twice really) and ever since then we both vowed to not drink again. We both have kept our word and we seem to be a whole lot happier with each other. But, I have no problem with others drinking, as long as they stay off the roads.

July 20, 2010 at 2:52 pm | Reply
  47. john lippert

I choose not to drink not for any religion , just doesn't seem appealing to me. Everyone around me and people I meet all do. I even go with friends to bars to hang out

July 20, 2010 at 2:51 pm | Reply
  48. citizenUSA

I don't drink at home even if I'm throwing a party. I do like a good scotch but I save that for when I'm out for dinner at a nice place. Even then I usually only have one, (although it's a duble). There is one Mexican place I eat at that makes the best Margies I've ever had compared to ones I've had IN Mexico. I've lost my taste for beer. I never cared for wine but once in a while I'll have a glass or two. I try to treat drinking like any other vice: enjoy it but don't abuse it then you can't enjoy it anymore.

July 20, 2010 at 2:51 pm | Reply
  49. THeGreat

I love drinking but i drink only on weekends, may be sometimes on weekdays depending on situation. Love Scotch, and Beer occasionally.

July 20, 2010 at 2:50 pm | Reply