July 6th, 2010

Vlogger The Wheezy Waiter may have some curious notions* about where Eatocracy got its name, but the former server's got some smart stuff to say in response to our previous posts about people's restaurant pet peeves and restaurant staffers' responses - namely, guidelines for tipping and why you may find you're always at the receiving end of sub-par service. (Spoiler alert - it's probably something you did.)

[Via: The Wheezy Waiter]

*We dig cricket just as much as the next food blog, but unless Alwyn Eato comes back to life and swaps the wickets for a whisk, we're just gonna stick with the notion that Eatocracy is a food democracy.

Posted by:
Filed under: Bite • Buzz • Dining • Entertaining • Restaurants • Think • Tipping • Video • YouTube

Next entry »
  1. Charlotte

I actually had no idea 20% was the norm in the US, it's 10% here in the Netherlands – I imagine most foreigners tip badly because they simply don't know, we're not actually trying to be mean or stingy, honest!

July 30, 2010 at 10:12 am |
  2. jasmine

So i am a black teenager so the streotype is that i will not tip at all so I always try to break this streotype by leaving at least 20 to 25% of the bill..................unless i am flat broke.

July 26, 2010 at 2:06 pm |
  3. Norah

I love Wheezy! :D This is awesome.

About tipping misconceptions: I'm a teenager and people always say we're terrible tippers. Now, we may not always be the greatest at the math behind it, we try really hard! I always always always tip 20% unless the service was really bad, but even then I'll leave something. Thank GOD for tipping calculators on cell phones, haha. :)

July 26, 2010 at 1:14 pm |
  4. Brittany

Oh WheezyWaiter, I love you so!

July 26, 2010 at 7:56 am |
  5. Ash

ACK! I love the wisdom, awesomeness and syrupy waffles that makes up wheezy waiter! Definitely a great source to go to about matters of the world...and of course matters of the heart. :)

July 26, 2010 at 4:12 am |
  6. mdark

I love WheezyWaiter he's genuinely entertaining ^_^

July 26, 2010 at 4:05 am |
  7. Kat

Craig rocks, nuff said.

July 26, 2010 at 3:28 am |
  8. joseph

I like cooking. so, I pretty much only buy dessert & coffee at restaurants and I don't think 20% on $4.75 is worth coming to my table. so I just round to next dollar, plus whatever a second coffee would cost to the next dollar. so that $4.75 becomes $7.00, or if I can tell her* other tables are hell i'll give more.

*I've never had a male server. lucky.

July 26, 2010 at 3:02 am |
  9. DanielCarter

Also, commenting is my thing. You all owe me royalties.

July 26, 2010 at 2:47 am |
  10. DanielCarter

Umm WHAT "Mac Grurry" how on earth can you compare Craig to Phil? How does Craig even seem into himself? The man is one of the funniest people on youtube, where as phil, well, let's not go there.

I always tip generously on good service (haven't ever really had bad service) because I understand that so many times the poor waiters are getting ripped off. If a person can't afford to buy their meal and pay the rightful tip, they should go to mcdonalds.

July 26, 2010 at 2:44 am |
  11. Lamarr

I created Wheezywaiter. I want 20%!!!

July 26, 2010 at 2:39 am |
  12. madalyn

YAY FOR WHEEZYWAITER. I saw this when it was first uploaded.

July 26, 2010 at 2:37 am |
  13. Zach

@Mac Grurry

Craig isn't too into himself. He's putting on a show and using false arrogance as a comedic tool a la Stephen Colbert.

July 26, 2010 at 2:36 am |
  14. ashley

black people are usually great tippers in chicago! i've never really had issues. you know who sucks at tipping across the board? indian people. and i've worked in this industry for six years. rich people are usually horrible tippers as well. i'm in law school and find myself biting my tongue when some old rich white person talks to me like i'm mentally retarded.

remember - to serve, it takes all kinds.

July 19, 2010 at 3:59 pm |
  15. Mac Grurry

Wheezy waiter is a little too into himself, ala Sxe Phil DeFranco, but he has some points, More people need to learn to tip us better because it's not just good service, we put our personalities on the floor every night and bring it. Restaurants have rules we follow and specials we learn and a lot of things staff put up with behind the scenes that you'll never know about so yeah, sometimes we think we deserve a good tip when we've done our job. and it's not just foriegn people, my brothers and sisters, the young African American women or the Black guy out trying to impress his date, usually young people, need to tip better so that i can walk around my restaurant proud and say, "My people tip, that's right" at the moment, everybody is too scared to confront Blacks on the perceived myth that we don't tip in restaurants, but I'm black and not afraid to get in it. I tip well, as i said, but im trying, one place at a time to dispel this old rumor, and i need help

July 16, 2010 at 1:28 pm |
    • Lamarr

I created Wheezywaiter. I want 20%!!!

July 26, 2010 at 2:39 am |
    • jamila

wow seriously? first of all, teenagers do not have alot of money and sometimes tipping can get allittle pricey and im talking about ALL races of teenagers not just black ones. Most of us dont have full time jobs and our only income are our parents. So instead of thinking in a way of me me me me me they didnt tip me think in a way of well at least they gave me something.

July 26, 2010 at 2:16 pm |
Next entry »
Pinterest

| Part of

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 7,325 other followers