Lunchtime poll – gas vs charcoal
June 30th, 2010

Coke vs Pepsi. Beatles vs Stones. Toilet paper over vs under. Some debates just never seem to flame out, so we're asking.

Feel free to rant, rave and state your case in the comments below. For the record, when we're in a hurry during the week, gas does the trick. On a weekend, when there's plenty of time to go low and slow, we opt for hardwood lump charcoal and mesquite, hickory or fruit wood chips for extra smoke flavor. Than again, we're a tab obsessed.

Speaking of - here are our top tips for grilling mastery. Got some? Speak up and we just might share them in an upcoming feature.

And have you been following our big ol' Picnic Poll?

Round 1: Main dishes & drinks
Round 2: Hot and cold sides
Round 3: Toppings and level of doneness

Posted by:
Filed under: Buzz • Grilling • Lunchtime Poll • Make

« Previous entry
  1. csr

You can get used to the convenience of gas really easily but if you do, go back and have a burger or steak done on charcoal to taste real BBQ. There is a reason why charcoal grills never disappeared in the face of gas convenience–in the same way that home-style restaurants have survived McDonalds.

August 13, 2010 at 8:57 am | Reply
  2. JuanitaBeasley

I have a cheap charcoal grill and my parents have a gas grill. IMO the charcoal grill is easier to use and the food tastes better.

August 12, 2010 at 9:27 pm | Reply
  3. mad gazilta pig

Wood. A combo of maple, oak, and beech will give you the best grilling experience for ANY grilling situation. Better than charcoal, and far superior to gas. A true pig has spoken.

July 23, 2010 at 4:19 pm | Reply
  4. bill the canuck

hardwood is the way to go – most flavor – yes it takes longer but so do many others things in life when performed properly...

July 23, 2010 at 9:30 am | Reply
  5. Cait

How is propane any better for the environment? Propane is a combustible gas that is a compound of carbon and hydrogen....
    didn't we learn anything about what burning carbon in the air do to ozone??

July 21, 2010 at 6:59 pm | Reply
  6. Cait

Charcoal and slow wood smoking gets the most intense flavors that make grilling so great, much more so than gas grills

July 21, 2010 at 5:44 pm | Reply
  7. wpm

if you (gas people) want clean and fast use IR is you like the good smokey flavor wood or charcoal.

July 21, 2010 at 3:15 pm | Reply
  8. Barry

I use charcoal and wood chips.

July 2, 2010 at 12:09 am | Reply
  9. TP

As a female griller, I found this guide from VenusZine very helpful! http://www.venuszine.com/articles/create/food/7179/BBQ_Basics_Charcoal_or_Gas_

July 1, 2010 at 3:24 pm | Reply
  10. Marlyn

Charcoal with mesquite chips Yummy!!

July 1, 2010 at 2:16 pm | Reply
  11. duh-grizz

Primo grill-best ever-made in the USA–lump charcoal–makes the average Joe a Hero!!!!--Primo XL for life!!!!!

July 1, 2010 at 7:00 am | Reply
  12. fat moki

gas sucks. is for lazy people. it's convenient, but has zero flavor. might as well shoot yourself dead. charcoal is not coal, it's wood that has been charred. unless you buy Matchlight or use a lighter fluid, there should be no off flavors with it. Lump charcoal is more pure, unless u use cowboy lump, which uses wood flooring scraps. that ain't right. I have two Weber Smokey Mountains smokers, a Weber One Touch grill, and one Backwoods Fat Boy. I tossed out my $500 stainless steel gas Kenmore grill after it sat idle for two years. Don't need it. Only gas grill left is my little tailgating grill. That's it. Charcoal briquettes and lump charcoal, depending upon your needs and skill, are all you need.

June 30, 2010 at 5:47 pm | Reply
  13. ABP

I ask; if you're going to cook with gas....why not just cook in the kitchen....or cooking with anything else for that matter????

June 30, 2010 at 5:17 pm | Reply
    • JuanitaBeasley

Exactly, I enjoy the WOO I could set myself on fire feeling I get when I throw the match on the coals in the grill.

August 12, 2010 at 9:28 pm | Reply
  14. Vladimich

It depends on many factors, Gas, Charcoal and Wood is what I used this year so far. Main pick is convenience to the location I am at.

June 30, 2010 at 5:01 pm | Reply
  15. Tejas Chickie

Also...if you want a reall BBQ...
    Spitts & Pitts of Houston Texas
    It doesn't get better than that!

June 30, 2010 at 4:34 pm | Reply
  16. Tejas Chickie

Ok.. if you need a quick fix then gas or charcoal is ok. But if real BBQ is involved there is no reason to have a fire if it doesn't start with wood. Texas mesquite is the best way to go with Oak a second. Otherwise...don't even bother. Take all day and enjoy it!
    That's just the way it is...

June 30, 2010 at 4:32 pm | Reply
  17. Sean Connery

Gas! POW!!!!

June 30, 2010 at 4:15 pm | Reply
  18. smok daddy

The green egg are great coolers, but for your money, look at PRIMO GRILLS . More space for indrect cooking, and 100%made in AMERICA! I cook/ smoke, and even cook pizzas on mine.....PRIMO is the best out there....

June 30, 2010 at 4:08 pm | Reply
    • Smokenator

I agree with smok daddy, the Primo grill (built in the good ole USA) has many features you just cannot find on the BGE. The versatility is unmatched. Being oval (the Primo XL) allows your to cook more food and with optional extender racks you can get plenty of food on for your parties! Direct, indirect at the same time? No problem!

My Weber kettle now holds my Primo accessories!! Just say no to GAS!, the Primo ROCKS!

June 30, 2010 at 4:29 pm | Reply
  19. Andrew

I use charcoal but it is mainly because my grill came with my apartment. I love to grill, I will one day have a means for all grilling styles...I will have a grill-henge.....mmmmmm.....

June 30, 2010 at 3:47 pm | Reply
  20. sam

you people comparing gas grills to ovens are morons. Both methods do a great job, that's why theres a market for both.

June 30, 2010 at 3:38 pm | Reply