Eatcyclopedia – aspic
June 29th, 2010

Eatcyclopedia is our ever-expanding glossary of food terms, and we'll be highlighting a term from it each weekday. The entries include definitions and, where applicable, pronunciations and country of origin - all spelling bee competitor style. Want us this use it in a sentence? Okay, here goes.

Use: Aspic gets such a bum rap; more people would likely eat it if it were marketed as elegant Jell-O.

Read the full entry for "aspic."

Short video after the jump.

Got a term you'd like defined? Tell us in the comments and we'll do our best to add it to the glossary.

Posted by:
Filed under: Eatcyclopedia Daily • Think

1. Sue

My husband endeared himself to my mother over twenty years ago by helping her make aspic. The veggies had to be very finely minced and he carefully chopped away until she was satisfied. At the beginning of the meal, she served the individually prepared beef consomme jello (with finely minced veggies suspended inside) on two pieces of iceberg lettuce with baby shrimp on top. I loved it then but the thought of it now truly turns my stomach!

June 29, 2010 at 3:10 pm |
  2. hillbilleter

It's so funny what food snobs come up with, yet they have no idea where the food comes from that they love to eat. I was raised on a farm and I know to wash my veggies with soap and water. The unseen things you find on fresh veggies are much more sickening than pigs feet.

June 29, 2010 at 1:26 pm |
  3. Mark

As a kid, my aunt used to make jello salad in the bottom drawer of the fridge - so there was lots and easy access for all the kids at the family picnics....I can't eat it to this day and I'm almost 50!

June 29, 2010 at 1:14 pm |
  4. Liz in Seattle

Didn't anyone here read "Julie and Julia"? Aspic needs to be removed from the earth. Life is too short to be boiling feet and eating the gel that's left behind.

June 29, 2010 at 12:39 pm |
    • Mark

Amen sistah!

June 29, 2010 at 1:15 pm |
    • Jill

Tomato aspic is one of my worst childhood food memories. Aspic is just so wrong.

June 30, 2010 at 7:30 pm |
  5. sarah

jello of any kind (aspic included) reminds me of those horrid "church picnics" in the south where the most disgusting things were hidden in jello salads (canned pineapple, shredded carrots, marshmellos, fruit cocktail, celery bits-blech–
    anything) and they were usually served at room temp. they only worse thing is the slime on gefilte fish. and all the fat churchladies prided themselves o their "jello salade".

June 29, 2010 at 11:31 am |
    • John

Some of them arent bad. There is a particular recipe that is Lime Jell-O, crushed pineapple and Cottage Cheese that is ALWAYS tasty with Pork Chops or anything spicy.

June 29, 2010 at 11:37 am |
    • Kat Kinsman

A friend of mine lives in horror of church supper dishes he calls "stuff in fluff." It it's got marshmallows or Jell-O, he just about runs screaming.

June 30, 2010 at 7:32 pm |
  6. you eat it

Aspic can be a nice treat. I like making them when it is going to be hot and then use it as a light dish. My love for it developed during my childhood. There is a dish that my mom would make called studenina or jellied pig's feet in English. Trust me that it is an acquired taste and it was not until I was fifteen or sixteen that I discovered that none of my friends families ate this. I can still hear my dad slurping the jelly off the bones – yeah what a fond childhood memory! But they really are good.

Ingredients:
    3 Lbs Pigs feet
    Water
    1 T Salt
    1 t Fresh ground black pepper
    1/2 t Sweet paprika
    2 Clove garlic, crushed
    1 Bay leaf

Preparation:
    1. Singe pigs feet over a gas flame (to remove hairs) and wash the feet.
    2. Place the feet in a pot and cover with water. bring to a boil and pour off the water (this helps to clean them more).
    3. Cover with fresh water and bring to a boil (skim any foam off the top). Add the salt, pepper, paprika, garlic and bay leaf. Reduce the heat and simmer for 4 to 5 hours.
    4. Remove the garlic and bay leaf. Pour into large soup bowls (1 foot per bowl) and refrigerate over night.
    5. Now the fun part – you eat it cold.

June 29, 2010 at 10:31 am |
    • John

Ewww. It is the 21st century and I see no reason to make horrid culinary concoctions such as this one. The mere thought of sucking the fat off of a pigs foot is enough to make me gag.

June 29, 2010 at 11:36 am |
      • GoG

You are the real savage. Good food is simple food. Go back to eating processed food.

June 29, 2010 at 11:55 am |
Pinterest

| Part of

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 7,640 other followers