June 24th, 2010

Craving Cabernet? Gotta get that Gewürztraminer in a hurry? Try a do-it-yourself wine vending machine.

Pennsylvania's Liquor Control Board unveiled a wine kiosk at a Giant grocery store in Susquehanna Township on Wednesday and another at a Wegman's market in Silver Spring Township.

The machines operate from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. every day but Sunday and are fitted with an ID scanner and Breathalyzer to thwart attempts by the underaged and overserved.

Read the FULL STORY

Posted by:
Filed under: News • Sip • Trends • Weird News • Wine

1. raybordier

I just can't get my mind off this article for almost three years. It's like groundhog day every day for me.

September 18, 2013 at 2:05 pm | Reply
  2. RayBordier

Still an amazing article. I've come out of the closet since my first reading.

December 12, 2012 at 2:06 pm | Reply
  3. RayBordier

I just read this article again. Totally amazing. Wine in a machine. Wow, next thing you know, we'll be able to get DVD's from a machine.

April 25, 2011 at 1:57 pm | Reply
  4. RayBordier

I don't get it.

October 5, 2010 at 9:16 am | Reply
  5. Very Punny

It's like I always say, "Life is a Cabernet"...

September 30, 2010 at 4:43 pm | Reply
  6. RayBordier

I live in PA & I like wine. I think this is a good idea.

September 30, 2010 at 4:39 pm | Reply
  7. Maria Rowena Rillen- Rizzi

I've seen this type of vending machine at the Central Terminal Station in Rome six years ago, actually one has to choose the wine, pay at the counter, which then the machine will be turned on for automatic dispensing. This is good since the wine is kept at a right temperature, together with argon to keep the wine fresh.

June 25, 2010 at 6:15 am | Reply
  8. ed

I don't see what the big deal is, there are liquor stores with drive through windows. When I was in England they had a vending machine that dispensed liquor in the hotel hallway. It all boils down to personal responsibility.

June 24, 2010 at 9:53 pm | Reply
  9. Dane

this is to buy an entire bottle or by the glass? they've had "by the glass" wine kiosks around here in chicago, but buying a bottle out front of a store would indeed be pretty revolutionary!

June 24, 2010 at 4:21 pm | Reply
  10. HEATHER

but rly think ur out sumwhere at night ....
    u want mroe to drink but lcbo is closed .... what todo
    go to the vino vending machine !!!! brilliant
    vino at ur finger tips .
    lets bring them to NORTH AMERICA WOOO HOPPPP

June 24, 2010 at 12:46 pm | Reply
  11. jade

this article made me poop... THEY ARE LIKE SOO TOTALLY CONVIENT

June 24, 2010 at 12:44 pm | Reply
  12. HEATHER

haha pretend msn ith we are so smart
    agreed vino vending machines are so convient
    i livei n europe they are wonderful no kidding

June 24, 2010 at 12:41 pm | Reply
  13. Don

They have 'em all over Japan too. Will be convenient to see these in more PA stores. It's a pain to have to to to the supermarket and then the liquor store if you just want a little something.

June 24, 2010 at 12:39 pm | Reply
  14. HEATHER

dont b depressed :( it will work out i promise

June 24, 2010 at 12:39 pm | Reply
  15. HEATHER

VINO I FOUDN UUUUU

June 24, 2010 at 12:38 pm | Reply
  16. jade

POOOOOO VINO im depressed

June 24, 2010 at 12:37 pm | Reply
  17. HEATHER

hello well vino vino vino wat can i say ith

June 24, 2010 at 12:32 pm | Reply
  18. JP

They have these vending machines all over Europe. It's about time the US caught on.

June 24, 2010 at 12:24 pm | Reply
  19. CollinLeon

When I was in the Navy and stationed at NTC San Diego, we had a soft drink vending machine that was stocked with various brands of beer instead. It was located in the laundry facility. We could go there on the weekends, start a load of laundry, shoot some pool, play some video games, and drink a few beers. It made the chore of doing laundry a lot more bearable. That was back in 1980. I wonder how long it lasted before the politically-correct idiots got rid of it...

June 24, 2010 at 12:18 pm | Reply
  20. zach

WIll this be large enough to vend box wine? IF so, count me in....and please place it near the RedBox movie rental.

June 24, 2010 at 12:08 pm | Reply
  21. ian

of course why not, theres nothing evil about a vending machine with alcohol. apart from machines not offering opinions but other countries have plenty of these with beer as well. but i would still expect to hear 'oh no, not alcohol, our kids could drink it!', this after all is america

June 24, 2010 at 10:25 am | Reply
    • Chris

Its sad we've got to that point. Back in the day if you got pulled over drinking and driving they made you pour your beer out or made you sleep it off. Now everything is so strict its just insane. I just wish everyone would stop and realize that kids and people can get ahold of anything they want, including illegal substances.

June 24, 2010 at 4:48 pm | Reply