5@5 is a daily, food-related list from chefs, writers, political pundits, musicians, actors, and all manner of opinionated people from around the globe.
French-born Chef Eric Ripert is the executive chef at the internationally acclaimed Le Bernardin restaurant in New York City.
Chef Ripert and the seafood-focused Le Bernardin currently hold the Michelin Guide's highest rating of three stars, as well as four stars from the New York Times - among other accolades.
Ripert more recently appears as a judge on this season of Bravo's "Top Chef: D.C."
Nevertheless, even critically acclaimed chefs have their moments of embarrassment: we commend Monsieur Ripert for being brave enough to share his chef walk of shame with the Eatocracy masses.
5 Most Embarrassing Moments as a Young Chef: Eric Ripert
1. "Freezing 50 duck breasts all together in the same bag. We needed a hammer to separate them."
2. "Opening Clams: I put them on a shelf and waited until they opened so that I could get my knife in them."
3. "On my first day in a professional kitchen (at La Tour d’Argent), I cut my finger after 30 seconds. I also said I could not stay by the stove to whisk an egg as I found it to be too hot. And then I finished the day by infecting (and paralyzing) my hands cleaning langoustines."
4. "At Jamin (under Joël Robuchon) I made believe the sauce he was asking for was coming because I didn’t know how to make it! So I whisked an empty pan and I got caught."
5. "During my internship, I was punished and put in charge of cleaning the electric broiler during the afternoon break. [I was] specifically instructed not to use water and just scrub. I did not listen and decided to use a pressure washer to go faster. [I] ended up electrocuting the chef when he turned it on."
Is there someone you'd like to see in the hot seat? Let us know in the comments below and if we agree, we'll do our best to chase 'em down.
this guy blows as a cook he is no chef, only a douchebag. From one who still works with him.
Good news ! It's really interesting,I already saw that.
Electrocute: To kill by electric shock. Yeah, pretty embarrassing. Let's hope he meant that the chef was shocked.
He's French. Cut him some slack on the word choice! Encouraging to see even the best start off a little rocky.
don't know what dictionary your using but mine says: "injure or kill someone by electric shock : a man was electrocuted when he switched on the Christmas tree lights." either way syntax says its ok too. so really lame and incorrect way to dig on a guy whose first language is French.
At least he didn't turn 20 lbs. of boiled Peruvian purple potatoes into wallpaper paste like I did!
Would love to hear Giada DeLaurentis, Emeril LaGasse and Mario Batali's faux pa's in the kitchen!
HA I think you'd need a bigger list than 5 for Emeril.
That's great, more distinguished people should come forward about their biggest goofs or failures in life.
Funny. I like his honesty.
Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.
Join 8,107 other followers