June 17th, 2010

Eatocracy is your online home for smart, passionate conversation and information about food news, politics, culture. We'll highlight regional and family recipes, dive into restaurants and food shopping, chat with celebrity and local chefs, and show you what's for dinner around the world tonight. Grab a place at the table and read with your mouth full.

Posted by:
Filed under: Admin • Think • Video

« Previous entry
  1. Marquis Zollars

Thanks a lot for your concern together with initiatives! This stuff for your web-site is certainly very good. At the same time That i dramatically value an individual's ideas. In my position most are critical details. Nevertheless thank you. Beneficial read.

April 13, 2011 at 4:09 am | Reply
  2. ConcernedNetizen

I agree with alot of the comments here, in that the name is ambiguous... sounds kind of dumbed down (though that might play well with some Americans-not I) and seems to be the random commercial-posing-as-a-CNN-section. Also the name of the section, "Eatocracy" brings to mind images of the late 90s when people ate horrible food, got really obese, and didn't give a darn about what the politicians did to this country (known to most politicos as simply, "the glory days")

February 2, 2011 at 6:20 pm | Reply
  3. Gate Latch

eating can be considered my hobby he he he. i would really love to visit foods blogs and see some recipes *".

December 13, 2010 at 1:13 am | Reply
  4. George

It's good to see someone creating a discussion about food in our society. Since we are a nation of mostly overweight people, we need to get to the bottom of what the causes are and what the solutions are. With multi billion dollar food industries on one side, always looking for a way to create cheaper and quicker growong foods that increase profit and on the other side, human beings becoming overfed and less healthy. We need to start talking about High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS) and how bad it is for us and also about how using hormones and genetically modified foods affect us. We also need to talk about how to get us excersizing again. With athletic programs cut because of budgets, is it costing us more in health problems down the road. It's time to take the long viwe and do some real scientific research and figure out what's best for society and ultimately what's less expensive in the long run. I think we'll find out that doing the right thing may be the best all around solutin, but we need to unilaterally determine this, without bias.

September 29, 2010 at 11:32 am | Reply
  5. Stephen Cohen

Great job, Kat....having just returned from Sicily, the sight of the fresh food markets is reassuring. You look like u love your work...looking forward to watching the success of eatocracy!!...we'll be back for more!!

July 10, 2010 at 9:29 am | Reply
  6. Grace

Kat – love the site, colors, poppinng enthusiasm. Might think about adding a section on etiquette. How to ask "Just how fresh is something? What is that!? How little can I buy to try (without beng insulting)? etc. Touchiing with hands – when to use sanitizer,, What safety measures shouldl be used when offering/serving samplles in public, etc. Think it would be nice, useful and add contemorary style combined with living intellligently, eating intelligently. Keep it up!!!

July 9, 2010 at 2:46 pm | Reply
  7. Simon

thanks a lot of digging my "how to do cardio without losing your legs or money". would be amazing if you could make a short post about it – just one paragraph where you tease people to click – and link it. It would mean much more than you think.

July 3, 2010 at 5:34 pm | Reply
  8. Jay Baldwin

Hey did you hear the recent news story about the unemployed Louisiana fisherman waiting to see if they would get a $100 food voucher from Catholic Charities so they would have something to feed their kids ! Not enough food vouchers for everyone who was waiting. Bon apetit.

June 25, 2010 at 12:30 pm | Reply
  9. chris

Excited about the site, CNN. It'd be great if you would create a section where you collect and link to some of the best food blogs on the web. Two of my favorites: http://nomnomsforeveryone.tumblr.com/ and http://thebittenword.typepad.com.

June 25, 2010 at 10:59 am | Reply
  10. Chris Escott

Being a person that is not only addicted to truly great food, but CNN, I am utterly excited about this site. I think that it is easy to get hung up and obsessed with many economic/environmental/health flaws in any little microcosm of our world. While people should make an informed decision for themselves, life would not be nearly as pleasurable without being able to take in the beauty, heritage and artistic freedom of the culinary world.

June 24, 2010 at 4:41 pm | Reply
  11. Ruth Tobias

As a food writer & longtime devourer of more food-related sites than anybody with a real life can keep up with—beginning 10 years ago with Chowhound—I'll be very curious to see what you can bring to the overladen virtual table that actually sets you apart. It's a hell of an undertaking; much luck.

June 23, 2010 at 2:34 pm | Reply
  12. NanaMary

06/19/10
    On THE oatmeal cookie recipe...what is "butter flavoring"?
    Nana

June 19, 2010 at 1:42 pm | Reply
  13. Swordfish77

I'm a chef an actual working chef. I'm a CNN junkie and there is a food Blog now!!!! Baby I'm in Heaven.

June 18, 2010 at 6:11 pm | Reply
  14. dmanburger

Nice job Kat Kinsman ! let me know if I can help ? would love to write some things for Eatocracy !!!

June 18, 2010 at 5:40 pm | Reply
  15. Cookie

Awesome! looking fwd to reading!

June 18, 2010 at 5:34 pm | Reply
  16. Tom D.

Good idea and I'll be an avid reader. Hope you or someone read the comments to your "Heirloom" recipe section of this which I have just found IS a part of this. Good, but I think we've got to have translations of some of the old recipes – not redoing them for current times or ajusting them in any way – just copying and/or reprinting them if necessary so we can read and try them. Your first – Granny's Oatmeal Cookies – was a disaster/impossible to read with handwriting as bad or worse than mine!!!! Also it would be nice to have the heirloom recipes show a date or approximate date when they were "originally" done. Fun. Much success – I'll be reading and making along with lots of others.

June 18, 2010 at 2:42 pm | Reply
    • Kat Kinsman

We are totally reading & listening. The index card project is our baby and we want to do it right. Send any and all notions of what you think would make it work.

June 19, 2010 at 12:19 pm | Reply
  17. Terri

Kat and Kompany - you must check out these 3 products at Fancy Food Show: Nocciolata - healthier Nutella Booth # 1372. Stonehouse 27 - natural gourmet Indian cookling sauces - very healthy nutrition profile Booth # 5439 and Lucy's cookies - gluten free and allergy friendly - made by Dr. Lucy Gibney, mom of a young son with food allergies. Come by for talk and a taste! Thanks!

June 18, 2010 at 2:24 pm | Reply
  18. Alex

Love this section, CNN has a brand new section I will be checking constantly. :D

June 18, 2010 at 2:22 pm | Reply
  19. Been

Love the concept of a whole site about food, but am totally turned off by the use of a closeup photo of meat for your banner.

June 18, 2010 at 1:29 pm | Reply
  20. Self Growth Engine

This is exciting! I hope this site grows to represent recipes as well as ingredients. Most of the sites either concentrate on ingredients or recipes it would be nice to have a directory of both. All the Best!

June 18, 2010 at 12:41 pm | Reply
  21. Heather

I am so happy to have found this blog! I love to talk about food, and my friends are sick of me talking about it constantly! I am interested on your view (and the views of everyone else) on the foie gras debate – I am personally very torn. I am against animal cruelty, but seared foie gras is literally the best thing I have ever eaten in my life. Just throwing that out there to start some debate!

June 18, 2010 at 12:40 pm | Reply
  22. colleen

Please be a good example, – carry a market basket and reusable bags, - and turn down the plastic bags when they are offered to you. If we want to protect our environment, which is the source for our food, – petroleum-based plastics need to be reduced, then eliminated.

June 18, 2010 at 12:31 pm | Reply
  23. Mary Rose

Going to Pittsburg for the US Women's OPEN. Where are the outstanding places to eat there?

June 18, 2010 at 12:03 pm | Reply
  24. FER

Laura is just hating! This is great Kat. This is mainly a website where food people can talk about issues, news, trends, etc. This is not a website where you want to feel bad because of starvation and waste, it's about the joy of food and the different adventures you can have! keep up the good work Kat!

June 18, 2010 at 11:59 am | Reply
  25. Kat Kinsman

Well, we've been live for two days. Stayed tuned. We've got MUCH more to come addressing all these issues, I promise.

June 18, 2010 at 11:32 am | Reply
  26. Laura

After reviewing the entire website, I must say I am disappointed, nothing there but feel good stories, nothing about what is really important about food. You have an opportunity to get your readers involved in important matters, yet you miss the mark; we as a nation and the world at large need to be aware of what is really going on within the world of food, where it comes from, what problems there are, the waste, the starvation, and even your intro video, shows your host with plastic bags rather than reusable shopping bag. There are many things you can add into your site to wake people up to the waste of food, and the extremely high costs of food associated with food miles (petro). Especially, the devastation to the gulf, and it's wildlife, rather you have a segment that suggest that it's all ok, we should just continue to eat our shrimp and forget it. Shame on you.

June 18, 2010 at 11:24 am | Reply
  27. yellow eyes

This will be an interesting site. I will be watching to see if you maintain good currency or succumb to poison foods.(GMO's, High Fructose Corn Syrup etc.)

June 18, 2010 at 11:19 am | Reply
  28. Kat Kinsman

Hey Laura – our lead story right now is exactly that!

June 18, 2010 at 11:11 am | Reply
  29. Laura

I certainly hope that you take an approach to the high costs of food, the rising problem of starvation around the world, food miles, pesticides, etc. There are many problems with our world and food; it is not just about eating. I hope you promote home gardens, buying local, the impact on farms, and GMO's.

June 18, 2010 at 11:10 am | Reply
  30. Herman Munster

She looks like me..

June 18, 2010 at 10:51 am | Reply
  31. redhead

Finally – something to share within cultures that does not promote war and hate. Go for it!

June 18, 2010 at 10:26 am | Reply
  32. wassup

phat americans unending phascination with phood. btw, phugly

June 18, 2010 at 10:24 am | Reply
    • Dave C

Food isn't what makes people fat.. er PHAT.. it's BAD food and PROCESSED food...

June 18, 2010 at 12:15 pm | Reply
      • Julie

I totally agree. Bad food exactly, processed and pre-made. Cook a meal with real ingredients...

June 18, 2010 at 1:19 pm | Reply
  33. Rachel Gonzales

14% unemployment in Las Vegas!!!!!!!

June 18, 2010 at 10:09 am | Reply
  34. Umm

She looks like someone from the Adam's Family. I'd be very uncomfortable eatting food prepared by a sasquach.

June 18, 2010 at 10:01 am | Reply
  35. Kate

Congratulations CNN on nabbing Kinsman and her genius. I will stop by every day to get my fill of all things food, booze and people. YUM. (I have to go find a fresh mozz ball now having seen it on your lovely site.)

June 18, 2010 at 9:47 am | Reply
  36. Ldwagner

Congratulations to Kat and her team on the launch. The site looks positively great. It's making me hungry for a steak, and it's not even 9:00am. Take a deep breath now, but keep it up!

June 18, 2010 at 8:58 am | Reply
  37. kate

Kudos to CNN for bringing on the wit talent and culinary smarts of Ms. Kinsman. No one keeps me engaged and thinking all things food and booze better. (And no one pickles more stuff!)

June 17, 2010 at 9:33 pm | Reply
  38. billybob

didjaeatyet?

June 17, 2010 at 7:44 pm | Reply
  39. Josh Ozersky

The food media needs Kat Kinsman. Kudos to CNN for putting her in a position to wake us all up!

June 17, 2010 at 5:49 pm | Reply
  40. Sarah Jane

so excited about this! the food articles are always my favorite.

June 17, 2010 at 4:50 pm | Reply
  41. grace

finally an outlet to share all my food stories!!
    this is great.

June 17, 2010 at 3:34 pm | Reply
  42. Kat Kinsman

You shoulda seen some of the names we *didn't* use.

June 17, 2010 at 3:14 pm | Reply
  43. eilonwy

Also to Eatocrazy.

June 17, 2010 at 3:10 pm | Reply
  44. Peter

Be very careful. Eatocracy is very, very close to Fatocracy

June 17, 2010 at 12:42 pm | Reply
    • Todd

You know, it is, in fact, possible to eat wonderfully delicious meals made from nutritious fresh ingredients that are healthy, satisfying, and do not pack on the pounds. I'm a foodie and in my house we eat very well on home-cooked food, made from scratch using fresh, seasonal, local ingredients. Our meals are low in "bad" fats and animal protein, and very high in whole grains and fresh vegetables and fruits. Even my carnivorous relations love to eat at my house. Being obsessed with food is not a bad thing - eating bad food is a bad thing.

June 18, 2010 at 12:07 pm | Reply